Worried about him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey everyone just something that happed last night… I have given hades some kale for the first time he ate it all in 5 minutes. I went downstairs, when I came back up he has stress lines all over him and his neck was swollen. I took him out and he calmed down but his neck was still swollen. I let him sleep outside his cage and I stayed with him for a bit. But in the morning he was normal. Was it like an allergic reaction?
He probably swallowed a bunch too fast, not an allergic reaction but it gets stuck or " stored " in their throat pouch.
And you don't have to worry about impaction from substrate, just don't use crushed walnut [ it can cut them up inside, very sharp ] or calcium based " sand" [ can turn like cement consistency in their digestive tract ]

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They can hold food in their throats for awhile but if they eat too much it might appear swollen for
awhile. As AHBD suggested, the calcium sand can cause problems but playsand is usually ok.
I hope he is doing better!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of substrate are you going to use? I would suggest washed & sifted playsand, that is much
safer than calci-sand or vita-sand. Just for digging, etc you can make it just a few inches deep, nothing
real deep like you would with a female burrowing to lay eggs.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific news to hear your boy is doing much better now! I'm happy he is eating healthy & is active.
That is positive his scabs are healing up now also.
Keep us updated on his progress.

Tracie

Mlevy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hades
Update on him he’s been doing well I feed him kale almost every day where I used to feed him crickets. He’s been dropping weight but in a good way too!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific news he is doing much better!
I'm glad to hear he is eating his greens daily,
too. As Karrie suggested, he does need some
protein to support his system. I would give 30
or so insects weekly so he maintains his weight.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, great, just making sure. Even as adults, they
do still need some protein for overall strength &
health. I hope he is doing well today!

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom