New baby beardie

desss

Hello, I recently got a baby beardie from petco. he was so active in the store and the first day i brung him home. He ate a few crickets and a superworm (which i now know is not the best for him). but its been 3 days and all he is doing is sleeping. i have a 10 uvb bulb and a basking light on one half of the tank. He is not interested in food at all now but has drank some water and poops about every other day and poops look normal. he will only wake up if i mess with him. this morning he was more awake and moving but just sleeps all day and night. I am worried if something is wrong or is this normal behavior. he can only be 0-2 months old and i want to make sure he isnt suffering.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, I recently got a baby beardie from petco. he was so active in the store and the first day i brung him home. He ate a few crickets and a superworm (which i now know is not the best for him). but its been 3 days and all he is doing is sleeping. i have a 10 uvb bulb and a basking light on one half of the tank. He is not interested in food at all now but has drank some water and poops about every other day and poops look normal. he will only wake up if i mess with him. this morning he was more awake and moving but just sleeps all day and night. I am worried if something is wrong or is this normal behavior. he can only be 0-2 months old and i want to make sure he isnt suffering.
You need surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a long tube uvb fixture - NO COILS- I can post some good uvb's if you need links- he will not eat if the tank is not on par w/ what I just posted - those are his life line

desss

Original Poster
You need surface basking temps of 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a long tube uvb fixture - NO COILS- I can post some good uvb's if you need links- he will not eat if the tank is not on par w/ what I just posted - those are his life line
I dont know if my uvb is considered coil, but i unfortunately cannot get one at the moment, is there anything i can do until then, and yes i will take the links. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont know if my uvb is considered coil, but i unfortunately cannot get one at the moment, is there anything i can do until then, and yes i will take the links. Thank you!
Is it in a dome? If so that is a coil-- you need to replace this right away -- your dragon will not survive w/ out it- this one you need to change the bulb out to one I am going to post for you want the 24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb again you will need to change the bulb out to the one I am posting for the Nano tech as well 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" bulb for these fixtures Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
or this one if you have a Pet Smart they carry them
24 watt 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
please get the surface basking temps in order and your UVB as soon as possible ---- if its warm where you live 65+ degrees get him out in a plastic tote NO glass NO lid--- supervised do not leave him--- for 15 min or longer in direct sun - this will provide the UVB he needs till you get the UVB ---- hes going to go thru relocation stress which is normal but he should be eating something nothing is not good - he wont last long w/ out eating and the UVB -- No mealworms they are too harsh on babies stomachs - they could impact him -- I can help you w/ diets etc but we must get the lighting and temps correct so he will adjust and start eating

desss

Original Poster
Is it in a dome? If so that is a coil-- you need to replace this right away -- your dragon will not survive w/ out it- this one you need to change the bulb out to one I am going to post for you want the 24" or 2 ft fixture
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
this one comes w/ a 5.0 bulb again you will need to change the bulb out to the one I am posting for the Nano tech as well 24" Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" bulb for these fixtures Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
24 watt 12% bulb Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
please get the surface basking temps in order and your UVB as soon as possible ---- if its warm where you live 65+ degrees get him out in a plastic tote NO glass NO lid--- supervised do not leave him--- for 15 min or longer in direct sun - this will provide the UVB he needs till you get the UVB ---- hes going to go thru relocation stress which is normal but he should be eating something nothing is not good - he wont last long w/ out eating and the UVB -- No mealworms they are too harsh on babies stomachs - they could impact him -- I can help you w/ diets etc but we must get the lighting and temps correct so he will adjust and start eating
Thank you! I have a small cricket farm and i have ben trying to feed cabbage and other greens. He just doesnt seem interested in anything anymore, my heat is showing in the high 90s so it may just be the uvb which i will fix as soon as possible, is there anything i can do in the mean time? Like a warm bath? Again he is drinking when i give him water in a small syringe but only when i do that

desss

Original Poster
Also i have seen that pumpkin baby food is ok? Will this help keep some nutrients in his body if i can give it to him through the syringe

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you! I have a small cricket farm and i have ben trying to feed cabbage and other greens. He just doesnt seem interested in anything anymore, my heat is showing in the high 90s so it may just be the uvb which i will fix as soon as possible, is there anything i can do in the mean time? Like a warm bath? Again he is drinking when i give him water in a small syringe but only when i do that
Continue w/ the water --- go slowly you dont want him to asperate --- high 90's is not warm enough for a baby that little 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer those need to be surface basking temps--- 90's good for ambient temps-- please NO baths you will only stress him out more --- please feed NO cabbage to harsh on the stomach I am posting a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated its a good staple feeder --- hes not going to eat w/ out proper temps and UVB --- please do not leave any crickets in the tank over night - they can bite and cause infections - I can post websites for insects / worms

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also i have seen that pumpkin baby food is ok? Will this help keep some nutrients in his body if i can give it to him through the syringe
Yes baby food chicken that is protein he needs protein and calcium D3 supplements - he will not be able to properly absorb the calcium w/ out the UVB -- pumpkin will make him go to the bath room good for dragons that are impacted - so only feed that if hes constipated you can also get some baby food squash as well --- once you get your temps and UVB on par hes going to eat - good UVB will help w/ the appetite

desss

Original Poster
Yes baby food chicken that is protein he needs protein and calcium D3 supplements - he will not be able to properly absorb the calcium w/ out the UVB -- pumpkin will make him go to the bath room good for dragons that are impacted - so only feed that if hes constipated you can also get some baby food squash as well --- once you get your temps and UVB on par hes going to eat - good UVB will help w/ the appetite
I have an update! He is being more active today and actually ate 5-6 crickets and pooped, could it maybe stress ? Because like i have a 10.0 uvb and basking light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok please tell me what is the bulb and brand of the UVB so we can get it properly placed for your tank- the screen on the tank will determine where it needs to go --- and yes they do go thru relocation stress and their eating will be off --

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Post some pictures of him also for us. As Karrie requested, let us know the brand of tube bulb just so
we can be sure it is a good one.
I'm glad to hear he is more active today! As long as his heating & lighting/temperatures are optimal, he
will come around. They do take some time to get adjusted to a new home.

Tracie

desss

Original Poster
Hello,

Post some pictures of him also for us. As Karrie requested, let us know the brand of tube bulb just so
we can be sure it is a good one.
I'm glad to hear he is more active today! As long as his heating & lighting/temperatures are optimal, he
will come around. They do take some time to get adjusted to a new home.

Tracie
An update, i took him yesterday to petco and unfortunately he and another 1 month old were sick and petco had to stop using that vendor, i was able to get another beardie as i didnt do anything wrong and this one is 3 months old, shedding, and eating so thank you for everything!

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom