Lumps in belly..

Hello everyone. This is gonna be a long one. I have a 2 almost 3 year old beardie named gus and I’ve had him since he was just a baby. The last few months I’ve been periodically feeling around his belly and feeling hard lumps.. took him to the vet in around august and did X-rays, said everything was fine and what I was feeling were just his organs (although they feel really hard… idk if organs are supposed to have that hard of a texture?) the lumps are not visible and only noticeable when feeling his belly and pressing down. Since it’s the winter months I think he is trying to brumate.. but today I felt his belly and more hard bumps have seemed to appear. There’s a large one that I haven’t noticed before in the middle of his chest, and there’s another one I noticed today that has a very strange texture, kinda bumpy and hard?? Near his lower stomach. For the last month or so he’s been sleeping all day mostly in the same corner of his cage on the cooler side and doesn’t move much at all. I’ve been assuming this was him brumating but upon feeling these new lumps I’m really worried. He will eat periodically but hasn’t been pooping much. Colors remain bright and colorful even when sleeping and become brighter when I take him out. He doesn’t seem to be in pain at all when I feel and press on his belly and normally acts fine and attentive when out of his cage. But like I said when he’s in his cage he’s very inactive and stays in the same spot and sleeps all day. I’m super worried and I’m thinking of taking him to another vet appointment soon.. I’m going to give him a bath right now to see if I can get him to poop as these lumps could be poop. I’m just super worried, does anyone have an experience with this or any advice on what it could be?!? I love him to death and I just want him to be okay !!!

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello everyone. This is gonna be a long one. I have a 2 almost 3 year old beardie named gus and I’ve had him since he was just a baby. The last few months I’ve been periodically feeling around his belly and feeling hard lumps.. took him to the vet in around august and did X-rays, said everything was fine and what I was feeling were just his organs (although they feel really hard… idk if organs are supposed to have that hard of a texture?) the lumps are not visible and only noticeable when feeling his belly and pressing down. Since it’s the winter months I think he is trying to brumate.. but today I felt his belly and more hard bumps have seemed to appear. There’s a large one that I haven’t noticed before in the middle of his chest, and there’s another one I noticed today that has a very strange texture, kinda bumpy and hard?? Near his lower stomach. For the last month or so he’s been sleeping all day mostly in the same corner of his cage on the cooler side and doesn’t move much at all. I’ve been assuming this was him brumating but upon feeling these new lumps I’m really worried. He will eat periodically but hasn’t been pooping much. Colors remain bright and colorful even when sleeping and become brighter when I take him out. He doesn’t seem to be in pain at all when I feel and press on his belly and normally acts fine and attentive when out of his cage. But like I said when he’s in his cage he’s very inactive and stays in the same spot and sleeps all day. I’m super worried and I’m thinking of taking him to another vet appointment soon.. I’m going to give him a bath right now to see if I can get him to poop as these lumps could be poop. I’m just super worried, does anyone have an experience with this or any advice on what it could be?!? I love him to death and I just want him to be okay !!!
I feel like I should also add he doesn’t have trouble walking. He still seems fine overall other than the sleeping a lot and not pooping or eating (and the bumps of course) I’m just extremely worried. Do I take him to a vet ASAP? I don’t have a lot of money right now and I know the tests will be expensive as I’ve had them done on him previously and each visit runs me around $300. Am I overreacting? Could this be impaction? Something more serious? Were the vets that told me it was his organs right?? These bumps are exceptionally big, hard, and moveable. Im just really scared

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures to show us the location of the areas you are referring to? Many
times you can feel the kidneys or the pelvic bone & it can be concerning if you aren't sure
which you are feeling. Kidneys shouldn't be super hard but somewhat firm. Are they evenly
placed on both sides?
Since he is almost 3, he could be in a brumation phase if he is wanting to sleep more. Is his
weight stable right now & is his beard dark or normal color?

Tracie

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

Do you have any pictures to show us the location of the areas you are referring to? Many
times you can feel the kidneys or the pelvic bone & it can be concerning if you aren't sure
which you are feeling. Kidneys shouldn't be super hard but somewhat firm. Are they evenly
placed on both sides?
Since he is almost 3, he could be in a brumation phase if he is wanting to sleep more. Is his

Tracie
Sorry I haven’t checked this in a minute. His weight seems stable but I do not weigh him. He seems like he may be slightly lighter than usual but he hasn’t had a meal in a few days as he’s been sleeping a lot. Colors are still bright and normal, gets some light stress marks while sleeping but when I take him out they brighten back up to normal. He has 2 evenly placed on both sides of his belly near his hind legs, which my vet told me were organs. Not too much of a concern on those two. The one in his upper belly is my concern as I’ve never felt it before. It’s right in the middle of his chest and it’s pretty large. Kinda squishy and not super super hard, it’s also moveable. Behavior is pretty normal aside from the amount he’s been sleeping so he’s been a bit lazier, but I’ve been assuming it’s because it’s brumation season for him. I will attach a photo of where I am feeling the lumps at, the two on his lower belly are the ones that my vet cleared to be organs but I still drew them out anyways. The larger circle that I’ve drawn in his upper belly is the one I am concerned about.

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 40

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

placed on both sides?

Tracie
Hopefully you can see the image I attached. Since I’ve posted my original post he has pooped and it was pretty normal but it was watery. The poop itself was solid but some liquid came out with it, kinda like water. He did strain and struggle a bit to push it out but he managed to poop it out. Since he passed a poop, I do not think he is impacted due to that? So I really don’t know what the big bump in his upper belly could be. Do I take him to the vet? He acts just fine when I take him out and doesn’t show any signs of illness or anything like that but I’m still concerned and worried about what it may be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for the diagrams, it is helpful! How is he doing today?
Based on your drawings, the two drawings of the bumps on the sides are likely the kidneys since
they are even on both sides.
The upper one or middle of the body, could possibly be the liver or sternum bone?
If his stool was pretty normal, he shouldn't be impacted, correct. Is he eating well?

Tracie

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

Based on your drawings, the two drawings of the bumps on the sides are likely the kidneys since
The upper one or middle of the body, could possibly be the liver or sternum bone?
If his stool was pretty normal, he shouldn't be impacted, correct. Is he eating well?

Tracie
Not super interested in food, but he ate a good amount of worms yesterday when I offered them to him. Other than that he has just been sleepy and being lazy. If there was something wrong would he be showing more signs of illness? He seems pretty normal to me?

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

Tracie
Here is him right now, he is super bright and seems super happy! Running and jumping all around my bed.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpeg
    IMG_0177.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0170.jpeg
    IMG_0170.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 42

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks very happy! That is an interesting looking beard, the creases in it.
As far as showing illness, etc, they don't always show sickness often unless they are really ill.
If you wanted to get a blood test you certainly can as a baseline. He could be just slowing down due to the season. If he didn't feel well though, he would most likely have a darker than normal beard or be lethargic all of the time.

Tracie

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

As far as showing illness, etc, they don't always show sickness often unless they are really ill.
If you wanted to get a blood test you certainly can as a baseline. He could be just slowing down due to the season. If he didn't feel well though, he would most likely have a darker than normal beard or be lethargic all of the time.

Tracie
The lumps are still there. Haven’t shrunk nor grown, feels the same. Behavior remains the same as well. Refusing food unless it’s insects (he’s being picky). Do I take him to the vet??? I’m still just concerned.

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
Hello,

Tracie
The lump I’ve been noticing in his upper belly is quite moveable. Is that normal? If it were an organ would I be able to move it with my fingers?

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
The lump I’ve been noticing in his upper belly is quite moveable. Is that normal? If it were an organ would I be able to move it with my fingers?
This may sound dumb but just to make sure, you are 100% sure he’s male? If not it could be eggs and some people think it’s a male and turns out it’s female

Couurtneyyy

Original Poster
This may sound dumb but just to make sure, you are 100% sure he’s male? If not it could be eggs and some people think it’s a male and turns out it’s female
I am 99% sure he is a male. He’s been to the vet a few times and I’ve always been told he’s male.. if I remember correctly I also remember my vet saying something about semen when I asked if they were sure he was a boy.. lol. But yeah I’m pretty sure he’s male.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I am 99% sure he is a male. He’s been to the vet a few times and I’ve always been told he’s male.. if I remember correctly I also remember my vet saying something about semen when I asked if they were sure he was a boy.. lol. But yeah I’m pretty sure he’s male.
Ok lol. If he doesn’t seem bothered I think it’s fine. If you see him declining I’d take him to a vet.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom