has anyone ever bred to blood reds together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, yes I know and I know there a lot of other breeders here too and that is why I am asking here for someone to chime in.

Thanks....
zebraflavencs":05d4f said:
I would ask citrusdragon,howlingdragon, or chris.... for got his last name. I know these three are breeders.
Janie.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
im not really a breeder...but if 2 dragons carry this gene and are homozygous, than the offspring should basically resemble the parents...the problem is the genetic pool is not so deep with these blood red dragons...so the chance for inbreeding or genetic defects becomes higher. Correct me if im wrong, been a long time since highschool biology.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
Not all genetic lines are created equal, and you never really know if your so called "blood" is really a blood. As after all the name "blood" was just made up someone 10-15 years back, and it just stuck as it described a regular red dragon that looked more maroon, than bright red. Just like the name Sunburst, Citrus, and Cawely are names made up to describe a particular breeders color. Sandfire is the best example of this, originated going on 30 years now to give credit to "Sandfire Dragon Ranch".

So with that said, the color red and orange show up almost immediately after birth/hatching. Very red lines can produce amazingly bright babies right out of the egg, while colors like yellow, green, and gold take a much longer time to develop, usually several sheds before showing... So my point is that you can have the brightest red parents, but that doesn't necessarily mean the offspring will be as vibrant as them, it's a trial and error game. Thus why when see many breeders hold on to a certain dragon for many years because they produce very hardy babies with super vibrant colors, and a lot of the time these parents are dull in color or not your most vibrant. So don't let you eyes fool you, just because your dragons are colorful doesn't mean the babies will be; but the likely hood of a colorful parent throwing colorful babies is much higher than a dull dragon with good genetics throwing the same kind of colors... Bottom line it's all about genetics, and most of the time you don't really know for sure exactly whats in a dragons make up... That's why time to time you see translucent dragons and hypos pop out of two seemingly normal parents. So if someone you trust says your dragon is such and such morph just take that as a best guess, that's really all you can do! Breeding is what proves whether or not the other breeder or hobbiest is correct in their assumption!

Oh and to answer your color question specifically, yes I would expect colors similar to the parents... So babies will have more color than the parents, and others less color...

Do you follow me? Hopefully I make sense this morning, and I hope this clarify's things...

Take care,

Anthony

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with Anthony about color development, and I would add there are different developmental stages for reds also. Some bloodlines show reds early and some don't show until the 6th month or so. The rare gene that is "pure" red seems to be easily corrupted by oranges or browns. True "pure" red dragons are a rarity even when the parents have the genes themselves. I, and several other breeders, are trying to find the cool mix between the early reds and the late bloomers to establish some "lifetime" reds, for lack of a better word. I know there are some breeders out there with some amazing red bloodlines, but the need to outcross their breeding stock to keep them healthy and it can also dilute the color morph a little.

In answer to your basic question, yes, there is a constant striving to attain the best red dragons.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom