Help! limp tail and foul smell

jkratman

Hi,

My five year old male rescue dragon Finster is having some trouble. I hope you can help.

I've noticed over the last month that the end of his tail is droopy when he runs. Before, he would hold the entire tail up as he ran, so the tip would sort of point at the sky. I didn't think much of it, figured he'd sprained it or something, but watched it closely.

The other day I noticed that his cage smelled awful, not like poop, more like death. There was a trail of liquid on his basking platform and I figured he had had some sort of smelly excretion, which happens from time to time. I took him out, cleaned up the cage, made sure it did not smell, and put him back, but pretty soon it smelled bad again.

It was then I noticed the smell was coming from his tail. I took a closer look and there is a small "bump" in the near center, seems to go all the way around. The scaled look slightly redder than his normal color. The section after the bump is now completely limp when he picks up the rest of his tail. It points at the ground.

He continues to eat, poop, and run. He does not care if I touch or squeeze his tail. It does not seem to be causing him any pain.

He does have a vet, but unfortunately I can't get in to see her for three days (Tuesday) because she is out of office. I called the local animal hospital and the person who answered the phone was very kind. She went and spoke to the ER docs and they said, in a nutshell, that if he was eating and acting normally, it could wait. They said his tail will likely fall off, but that was not an emergency. Yikes.

What should I do? How does this look to you? I took the pics as close as I could.

I'm wondering if maybe it was a ruptured cyst or something? What can I do?

Some background on Finster here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/rescue-dragon-finster.254235/

Attachments

• thumbnail_image4.jpg
    thumbnail_image4.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 56
  • thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 42
  • thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 42

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

My five year old male rescue dragon Finster is having some trouble. I hope you can help.

I've noticed over the last month that the end of his tail is droopy when he runs. Before, he would hold the entire tail up as he ran, so the tip would sort of point at the sky. I didn't think much of it, figured he'd sprained it or something, but watched it closely.

The other day I noticed that his cage smelled awful, not like poop, more like death. There was a trail of liquid on his basking platform and I figured he had had some sort of smelly excretion, which happens from time to time. I took him out, cleaned up the cage, made sure it did not smell, and put him back, but pretty soon it smelled bad again.

It was then I noticed the smell was coming from his tail. I took a closer look and there is a small "bump" in the near center, seems to go all the way around. The scaled look slightly redder than his normal color. The section after the bump is now completely limp when he picks up the rest of his tail. It points at the ground.

He continues to eat, poop, and run. He does not care if I touch or squeeze his tail. It does not seem to be causing him any pain.

He does have a vet, but unfortunately I can't get in to see her for three days (Tuesday) because she is out of office. I called the local animal hospital and the person who answered the phone was very kind. She went and spoke to the ER docs and they said, in a nutshell, that if he was eating and acting normally, it could wait. They said his tail will likely fall off, but that was not an emergency. Yikes.

What should I do? How does this look to you? I took the pics as close as I could.

I'm wondering if maybe it was a ruptured cyst or something? What can I do?

Some background on Finster here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/rescue-dragon-finster.254235/
If you can smell a foul smell that is more than likely an infection and he needs to be seen ASAP-- if the infection gets into his blood stream it will kill him ---- see if you can pin point where that smell is coming from and get some raw unfiltered honey on it example Manuka honey --- thats going to prevent it from spreading further NO crickets in the tank!! Here is a website to find another vet -- I would get him in tho emergency -- www.arav.org if your in a small town/ area type in the biggest cities zip code closest to you -- flagging @AHBD

jkratman

Original Poster
OK, raw, unfiltered honey applied. Also got some neosporin (no pain relief). Should I give him a betadine soak?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry your boy Finster is having this problem. Can you still see any liquid seeping if he sits anywhere for a while ? It def. sounds like infection, unseen under the scales. It's possible that he somehow broke it, can you think of any recent incident where that might have happened ? Or it might have developed some other way. The raw honey is fine, no betadine soak needed since you'll be taking him to the vet in 3 days.

If this is a bad infection they will need to amputate it up a ways from the actual afffected area to be sure to get it all. They often don't seem to feel real pain in their tail so they carry on as normal. Even after the amputation [ if that's what ends up happening ] he should do fine, most beardies are moving around + eating as usual within a day or so.

jkratman

Original Poster
Thanks, AHBD!

It does look like maybe there is a small amount of reddish liquid seeping out. It's certainly possible he broke his tail, he's a crazy man, lol. He's always up to something.

I really appreciate you and Karrie chiming in and trying to help us. Thank you.

I will be sure to update you folks. I'm going to try again on Monday, anyway. Maybe I can convince someone to see him. Unfortunately, many, many vets in this area are closed to new pets, especially reptiles. Fin's vet is fantastic, but she is away.

Thanks again!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Might as well wait for her to see Finster, that's what an emergency vet will tell you if you go to one tomorrow but will charge a big price Just to tell you that.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom