Preparing for brumating/winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeysmomma

Sub-Adult Member
Any tips/advice on preparing for winter/colder weather? Is there anything different that needs to be done when they are brumating? ( like adjusting lights/temps in tank)

Brokenwings

Hatchling Member
Nope, not that i know of. even thought they act emo and hide in their corners, still try to feed them a plate of veggies everyday and try to feed them everyday. dont push it though, most of those days he wont eat. :) i also dont take him out often when in brumation, i think he wants his peace. lol

Brokenwings

Hatchling Member
Don't shut off any lights or change anything.
They will eat less and simply don't expect them to move or be "friendly" anymore for the time being. they just want to be left alone and in peace really. If you notice your cage temp drops madly because of the cold weather, buy a heating pad or ceramic bulb (makes no light during the night)

Jess

Extreme Poster
Its fine to shut off the lights. They shouldnt need UVB when they are brumating, but I keep the basking light on incase Dudley wants to come out. I wake him up once a week to bath him and offer him food, and if he decides to bask during the week I offer food then too. Otherwise, I dont bother him much. I took him out for a quick snuggle the other day, but thats it LOL. Once he wakes up a little, he gets really excited and hyper again!

Brokenwings

Hatchling Member
dont forget, when brumating, their heart rate goes down. thus why the sloppy boringness of them. i would personally not shut off the lights but just give him a good hiding spot to avoid it. (his light basically is my room light lmao) i still try to feed him everyday too just in case. you never know when he or she can be hungry

we all have different ways, find your own and whatever is best for you ^^

Jess

Extreme Poster
If I know that Dudley wont be basking, I dont offer food because he wont be warm enough to digest it. I was told by some other members on here that lights arent needed. But your right, we all brumate our beardies differently :)
The last 2 days, Dudley has been sleeping on his basking spot LOL. :roll: Hes so wierd.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
Vijah has gone into his brumating box on the cold side. After 3 days of him not coming out we turned all the lights off. He's not eating so I don't think he needs the UVB and he's obviously not wanting the lights on since he's hiding so those went off too. His room doesn't get below 68 or so at night so he's never tooooo cold.

Scout has been hiding under his basking rock still under the heat so even though he's sleeping all the time I've left all of his lights on. He will eat about every 3rd day, but doesn't move otherwise. Last year he used his brumating box too, maybe it's too far this year to haul that fat piggy down to the other end of the viv. :lol:

Want to add my 2 cents ... just want to say if you want to worry about anything make sure they stay hydrated in the wild they can absorb water through there vent but in closed environment a little bit harder to do, so a bowl of water or a couple baths a week. Water more important than food at this time. Also you can weight your berdies just to make sure there not loosing body fat. What I have read is maybe very slight weight lose but not a huge amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom