Puff out belly when eating?

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Hi,
Has anyone noticed that when their beardie eats they puff their belly out?
This could totally be a Ruby thing- there's no discomfort and he totally looks like he is preparing for his food but it's noticeable so I thought I would ask.
Ruby appears to fill his belly with air before eating.
Please note, Ruby is a bully so this may be a tactic to intimidate his food as well...I just wanted to double check.
If I handfeed hind, he doesn't do it so it's not a matter of helping with digestion, it's more of when he stands over his poor little dubias.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They can puff up like that at wiil. Snickers does it every time i get her out

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It's a defense mechanism. In the wild they'll wedge themselves into a crevice and inflate themselves. It is so predators can't pull them back out.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Pancaking is indeed a tactic they use, it's to try to intimidate a predator, as is puffing, gaping, & hissing amongst other things. But they do absolutely inflate to wedge themselves into cracks and crevices. I helps prevent being pulled out and eaten. They also will do it to increase buoyancy in water. Or sometimes like my girl Snickers who doesn't like being picked up to just say leave me alone. (She likes to be held, just not the being picked up part. She inflates pretty much every time)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
My dragon can inflating too. It was only once when I allowed him to walk on the lawn, near the country house. He inflated and his leash became too small for him and he immediately decided to take it off :) I had to take him in my hands, he immediately calmed down and continued walking without inflating himself

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It seems to take snickers a few minutes to go back to normal, but she can swell up on the blink of an eye.

Pancaking is indeed a tactic they use, it's to try to intimidate a predator, as is puffing, gaping, & hissing amongst other things. But they do absolutely inflate to wedge themselves into cracks and crevices. I helps prevent being pulled out and eaten. They also will do it to increase buoyancy in water. Or sometimes like my girl Snickers who doesn't like being picked up to just say leave me alone. (She likes to be held, just not the being picked up part. She inflates pretty much every time)
I get what you are saying however in the wild the dig, not swim. They will pancake to get into a place and that puff out so it's harder to get them out if a predator is nearby.

My almost 1 yrs old is the same exact way as your female beardie. He loves to fall asleep on me, but picking him up he has the zombie baby arms like he is about to fall. I have him 100% and his tail will still be doing the helicopter. I am like dude, I got you! Lol

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I saw on a reptile documentary or something that similar about a reptile that did that....that would puff themselves up and wedge themselves between the rocks. It didnt dawn on me until I read this post that it would apply to Ruby. Rocky doesn't do it. I guess Rocky feels safe or could care less.
Reptiles are so fascinating. I learn so much every day and each dragon is uniquely different!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I saw on a reptile documentary or something that similar about a reptile that did that....that would puff themselves up and wedge themselves between the rocks. It didnt dawn on me until I read this post that it would apply to Ruby. Rocky doesn't do it. I guess Rocky feels safe or could care less.
Reptiles are so fascinating. I learn so much every day and each dragon is uniquely different!
They truely are 🙂

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hi,
Has anyone noticed that when their beardie eats they puff their belly out?
This could totally be a Ruby thing- there's no discomfort and he totally looks like he is preparing for his food but it's noticeable so I thought I would ask.
Ruby appears to fill his belly with air before eating.
Please note, Ruby is a bully so this may be a tactic to intimidate his food as well...I just wanted to double check.
If I handfeed hind, he doesn't do it so it's not a matter of helping with digestion, it's more of when he stands over his poor little dubias.
Hazel does it!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom