Which heat source to use in a 120 gallon habitat with mesh screen top?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I think he didn't notice your post, I'll call him again. I think you can write him a private message if he doesn't respond here.
@xp29
Yeah i missed it. Been a hectic couple days, she did pm me though 🙂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
As for vets in vegas, I've been using Park Animal Hospital. Aloha is supposed to have some good vets also, but getting in and getting the vet to spend any time answering your questions is challenging. Lone Mountain i hope burns to the ground and then a meteor smashes the lot out of existence. (Can you tell i don't care for them???) Lol. Never anything but bad came from there.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Ok. Good to know. Aloha screwed me over on one of my ferrets. They have good vets. They are way too busy and need to not take new patients as they can't take care of the patients they have. Spent lots of money with them and in the end (after many years) totally screwed me over. I let them know what I thought. Yikes! Have been using Lone Mountain. Will switch. Thank you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I took one of my ferrets to Lone Mountain for a dental issue, they did almost 2,000 dollars on test on her stomach and treated her for ear mites (that she didn't have, confirmed by another vet) and never even checked her teeth. When i got her back she was wet, hadn't been fed in 8 hours (which is a HUGE no for ferrets) and she was covered in her own poop.
If thats not bad enough they let one of my beardies die and refused to even try to help because it was time to go home.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
OMG! They are inexperienced and money driven thanks to Dr. White. I had ten ferrets over the course of 31 years. Sometimes had three at one time. I know a lot about ferrets but not much about dragons. I have always loved exotics and completed my pre-med/vet at NAU in 2001. Then moved here due to my husband's job where there was no vet school. So, I have had all kinds of animals over the years. First reptile was a desert tortoise that I dearly love. Now I have a lizard and this may be the start of a whole new era. LOL!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
My girlfriend had a ferret when we met. He was awesome so i started researching them, and found out they do better in a business so we got another. ... and another lol 5 total. All the vets here told us 5 years was absolutely a long life. All ours lived past 8. 🙂
I'm to old and to fat to give them the proper attention these days so that chapter is closed.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
My girlfriend had a ferret when we met. He was awesome so i started researching them, and found out they do better in a business so we got another. ... and another lol 5 total. All the vets here told us 5 years was absolutely a long life. All ours lived past 8. 🙂
I'm to old and to fat to give them the proper attention these days so that chapter is closed.
I am totally a ferret person My last one passed in February and I am still grieving. If you ever need a sitter and live close I would totally enjoy it. I live near Centennial Hills on a one acre property. I had three horses until I had my first back surgery in 2014. I can no longer ride. So now I have chickens, a turkey, and a desert tortoise in the barn. We rescued a cat several years ago and he has always gotten along with our other pets. He is not interested in my dragon but I watch him like a hawk. Would love to meet your gang and your girlfriend. You are welcome to come here for a visit also. My oldest ferret lived 8.5 years. Most of them passed around 6 years. I bought a ferret from a private breeder and drove 36 hours round trip to pick him up. I did not neuter him until he had completed his first rut. I fed him a raw meat diet and did everything by the book. He died at age 2 with juvenile lymphoma. He was the sweetest, most intelligent ferret I had. He was semi-angora with a beautiful coat. He slept every night on the floor by my bed. My ferrets had free range of most of the house. I miss him so much. I have a Ferret Nation cage and bedding set for sale should you need one. I never shut them up in the cage. They would like to sleep in at times and would some and go as they pleased.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh your ahead of the game, that cage is fantastic for putting beardies out in the real sun. I cover the platforms with terrycloth towels so they don't get to hot, and i put half the cage in the shade so they can get out of the sun. My guys love it.
Saddly all our ferrets have passed now to, we miss them like crazy.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Oh your ahead of the game, that cage is fantastic for putting beardies out in the real sun. I cover the platforms with terrycloth towels so they don't get to hot, and i put half the cage in the shade so they can get out of the sun. My guys love it.
Saddly all our ferrets have passed now to, we miss them like crazy.
I am sorry to hear that. I hope my dragon lives longer as my heat has been wrenched way too many times. I will get the cage out and set it up. Thanks so much. Kerrie is telling me to keep my slate basking surface 95-100 with a digital probe. What do you keep your at?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry to hear that. I hope my dragon lives longer as my heat has been wrenched way too many times. I will get the cage out and set it up. Thanks so much. Kerrie is telling me to keep my slate basking surface 95-100 with a digital probe. What do you keep your at?
For adults 95 through 100.
Babies and juvenile 105 through 110.
Beardies typically live 10 to 12 years with good care. Still not long enough though, they should be like turtles and live 80 through 100 plus years 😉

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
For adults 95 through 100.
Babies and juvenile 105 through 110.
Beardies typically live 10 to 12 years with good care. Still not long enough though, they should be like turtles and live 80 through 100 plus years 😉
In our city there is a store where I buy bugs and the owner of the store keeps bearded dragons.
One of them lived for 18 years, but he says that this is not the limit and if the veterinarian had made the diagnosis in time, she would have lived longer.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
In our city there is a store where I buy bugs and the owner of the store keeps bearded dragons.
One of them lived for 18 years, but he says that this is not the limit and if the veterinarian had made the diagnosis in time, she would have lived longer.
There are stories of 20 plus years but I don't know them personally so I can't verify they are true. I want every single minute I can have with my guys 🙂
This is how I spend my evenings 😄 (notice Zen is by himself in both pics lol. He is the sweetest of the 5 but I can't trust him with the others)
Are you using the reptile store in summerlin? I got Sweet Pea up there, one of the employees is supposedly a breeder. When I got her home I discovered she had mbd and was extremely malnourished. I use LLL, Scales n tails, or Top Notch for the most part.

Attachments

• 20231019_194005.jpg
    20231019_194005.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231018_190639.jpg
    20231018_190639.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231008_202454.jpg
    20231008_202454.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231008_193746.jpg
    20231008_193746.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 39

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
All your babies are sweet. They look like my Vhagara. I order my dubia roaches and hornworms from Dubia.com. Is is ok to order the insects? I gut-load the roaches with roach food. I order 100 at a time and 24 worms at a time. I don't give the hornworms every day as they cause loose stools. I am having such a time converting Vhagara to greens and veggies as the previous owners fed her only crickets and worms. She was 19 months old and never had a green. I have had her for two months. She is getting heavy with eating only bugs.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
All your babies are sweet. They look like my Vhagara. I order my dubia roaches and hornworms from Dubia.com. Is is ok to order the insects? I gut-load the roaches with roach food. I order 100 at a time and 24 worms at a time. I don't give the hornworms every day as they cause loose stools. I am having such a time converting Vhagara to greens and veggies as the previous owners fed her only crickets and worms. She was 19 months old and never had a green. I have had her for two months. She is getting heavy with eating only bugs.
I love that name!!! Is it G.O.T. inspired?
Ordering bugs is the most cost effective (I should practice what I preach lol)
On the dubias be very careful how you gutload them. They convert protein into uric acid and store it the way we do fat. Only give protein to babies and breeders. High protein diets for feeders can lead to gout in your beardie. It takes weeks to deplete the uric acid from the dubias. The feeders should only be given leftover salads. Also if you feed the feeders it takes longer to deplete the uric acid. Until they are basicly starving they won't pull on those reserves for survival.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom