Which heat source to use in a 120 gallon habitat with mesh screen top?

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I have a 120 gallon habitat with a 150 watt basking bulb and a T5 HO UVB bulb. Is there a better basking bulb? Also, I am preparing for winter and the house to be cooler so I am researching heat sources. What is the best heat source? I have a Herpstat thermostat and just ordered her a slate topped hide for the warm side of her habitat. I am reading conflicting info on the CHE and DHP bulbs. Also, I have read where there should be a third type of light source? My habitat has a a screen top so my basking bulb is in a dome that sits on the screen. Can you do the same with the heat bulb?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Only two lights, basking, and uvb. Night time heat (if needed) ceramic heat emitter. No colored bulbs (any color) ever for any reason.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The che can be used in the day time also if a boost in temp is needed.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Exactly what xp29 said. Typically your heat bulb and your basking bulb are one and the same.
Your basking light would eather be an incandescent bulb (dimmable) or something like a mvb/hqi lamp (not dimmable but put out some additional uvb).
150W sounds plenty for 120 GAL though but you can always put an additional small incandescent bulb or a CHE on top.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What wattage CHE bulb should I order? Special receptacle? So CHE is better that DHP?
I have heard different things about the DHP I recommend the CHE and you need a dome w/ a ceramic socket - if your using the CHE at night to keep the tank around 65-75 I would get a 100 watt for that

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
What wattage CHE bulb should I order? Special receptacle? So CHE is better that DHP?
Make sure the dome you get says it's safe for the che.
I agree with Karrieree about the ceramic base and the 100 watt.
When you first set it up, turn it on before lights out and let it run for a bit continuing to check to make sure it's not to hot where your beardie will be. You could cause you beardie to try to move away from it in the middle of the night.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
So, my husband got a Herpstat 2 thermostat and has been setting it up today. I have found it to complicated. We currently have the new basking surface (slate tiles) registering at 99 degrees. The thermostat has a "bask assist" feature so as to dim and brighten the basking light to help control the temperature. When the lights come on (150 watt basking bulb and UVB) at 7:00 am, it takes about 1.5 - 2 hours for the tank (120 gallon) to reach its max temp for the day. Is this about right or should I add a CHE? I have a 75 watt CHE bulb in a dimmable receptacle I could add to the thermostat. Once heated, (for our house temp), the thermostat maintains until the lights go out 6:00 pm. Then our house drops to about 72 degrees at night.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Well for my 200 GAL tank it takes around 5 hours to reach the final temperature and outside it would not be 90 deg at 9 am as well, so you should be fine.
72 at night is good. Cooler temps at night can trigger them to bask more during the day and they are fine until 65 or so.
Your lights are on for 11h, is that right? 12 hours are recommended most of the time and lots of people (me included) keep them on for 14 hours even.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I kept them on for fourteen hours during the summer and have been gradually backing off to mimic fall/winter. Is this not a good idea? I can turn them back up. I have just read where it is good to try to mimic the sunlight of the changing seasons. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
I kept them on for fourteen hours during the summer and have been gradually backing off to mimic fall/winter. Is this not a good idea? I can turn them back up. I have just read where it is good to try to mimic the sunlight of the changing seasons. Correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.
Yes that is a good idea if you don't mind your beardy going into brumation. Keeping the lights on for longer would kind of work against that a little (probably not stop it completely for some).
It's more natural as you said, so yes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom