Which heat source to use in a 120 gallon habitat with mesh screen top?

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Yes that is a good idea if you don't mind your beardy going into brumation. Keeping the lights on for longer would kind of work against that a little (probably not stop it completely for some).
It's more natural as you said, so yes.
So what are your thoughts on them needing brumation? Is it good for them to go into brumation?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
So what are your thoughts on them needing brumation? Is it good for them to go into brumation?
There is no problem with it unless your dragon is sick when starting to brumate.
Also I would not do it if he/she is less than a year old or underweight.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yeah, you do not want her to go into brumation while she's getting treated for parasites. Make sure she's healthy first.
She hasn't shown signs of brumation yet, has she?

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Yeah, you do not want her to go into brumation while she's getting treated for parasites. Make sure she's healthy first.
She hasn't shown signs of brumation yet, has she?
Oh yes. She stayed in her hide yesterday and did not eat but pooped before she went into her hide. Today she is still in her hide but has not wanted to eat. I will get her out to give her the metronidazole this afternoon.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Don't worry. Luis did hide for a couple of days after getting treated for pinworms in August. He also blackbearded and flexed his beard at the vet 🤣
Maybe she's just having a bad day or doesn't like the meds too mutch. Make sure she gets them in, though and if she's indeed starting to brumate, monitor her weight like weekly or so. She should not loose mutch weight in brumation.
Keep us posted on her status.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
My exotics vet just called to check on Vhagara since she is on meds for entamoeba. I had to tell her she hissed at me today when I gave it to her. She also clamped down on the edge of my thumb when I tried to get her to open her mouth. Then she was hungry and angry I think her staying in her hide is more that she is upset by having to be given medicine than it is brumation. The vet told me again that with her lights on and her habitat warm, she should not brumate. I told her I know of bearded dragon owners who tell me their dragons brumate. She told me to bring in a stool sample five days after meds are completed to check for cure. She is concerned that something else might be going on for her to want to brumate.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
As mentioned, this is similar to what Luis did after been given the meds. Although he took them from me just fine and only tried to bite the vet ;)
As for brumation, my lights are on for 14h a day with a basking spot of 105°F and still he brumated for a bit and is just recently starring to be active and eat again.
@KarrieRee your dragons do some kind of semi-brumation if I remember correctly. Do you reduce daylight hours at that time or do yours just do that by instinct as well?

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I can't believe the vet thinks they really shouldn't brumate within a controlled environment.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I can't believe the vet thinks they really shouldn't brumate within a controlled environment.
Exactly!!! I'd be looking for another vet myself. Here'a a link to look for vets in your area. If you are in a smaller town, enter the closest big city next to you. Personally we drive almost 2 hours each way to see the vet, but the time is definitely worth it.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
I live in Las Vegas. So, I will ask around. Thank you. She said I could bring her in for bloodwork and x-rays. Geez........

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As mentioned, this is similar to what Luis did after been given the meds. Although he took them from me just fine and only tried to bite the vet ;)
As for brumation, my lights are on for 14h a day with a basking spot of 105°F and still he brumated for a bit and is just recently starring to be active and eat again.
@KarrieRee your dragons do some kind of semi-brumation if I remember correctly. Do you reduce daylight hours at that time or do yours just do that by instinct as well?
They go by instinct --- mine slow down quite a bit all tho it is hard to tell w/ Blaze now since hes vision impaired - he sleeps alot moves around but not like a active dragon - and I am having to syringe feed him his greens CC Herbivore - he does try and go for the roaches w/ a lot of help from me and lately hes not been doing that so w/ him I am trying -- Hiccup goes into his hide and will sleep for days then appear - he was out and active yesterday and went to bed early so I shut their lights off at 7 30 PM - I reduce their lighting in the winter by their behavior - I watch their behavior constantly as they are in my computer/ office room so I have access to them all day long-

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom