Stocking up for winter

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just a reminder or a suggestion - I always stock up going into winter w/ extra basking bulbs - UVB bulbs I keep on hand anyway - dubia roach food if your feeding dubias along w/ other things that the dragon normally eats the roaches can eat - and having a good amount of them as well - if your dragon is brumating this wont really pertain to you but mine do not fully brumate so I am having to feed them thru the winter - they dont eat a lot but come Feb going into March Hiccup eats like a mad dragon-- then slows down as we get toward warmer weather - the biggest thing are the insects that your feeding and the basking bulbs - people were having a hard time getting staple insects from their local pet stores - it is best NOT to rely on them - find a supplier on the internet that you like and get them from them - we have lots of links for those of you that are buying from those pet stores -- it is also cheaper in the long run-- you never know what winter will bring as far as the weather and you want to be prepared - also hand heat warmers for power outages are good to have on hand as well or the reptile ones you can get for shipping--- also I should of added if your living in a cold climate and you dont want the insects delivered to the house have them hold them at the post office - that is what I do since it gets really cold here --

Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Thanks for the great tips and reminders Karrie. Before the stores stopped selling the halogen/ incandescent 4 pack bulbs that I use I bought quite a few boxes of them.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Thanks for the reminder Karrie. I always have two basking and uvb bulb as spare but that's only me being paranoid. Also with my boy eating maybe 8 roaches a week right now as opposed to 6 per day, the colony is already growing over my head at the moment. They are kept at room temperature to slow their growth down ;)
Are power outages really a thing where you live?! 😯

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the reminder Karrie. I always have two basking and uvb bulb as spare but that's only me being paranoid. Also with my boy eating maybe 8 roaches a week right now as opposed to 6 per day, the colony is already growing over my head at the moment. They are kept at room temperature to slow their growth down ;)
Are power outages really a thing where you live?! 😯
We had one last summer that went out during the night so that wasn't bad but it lasted till 11 AM the next morning - it was a bad thunderstorm - the dragons got up late that day- 🙂

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We had one last summer that went out during the night so that wasn't bad but it lasted till 11 AM the next morning - it was a bad thunderstorm - the dragons got up late that day- 🙂
My mom moved to your state, she lasted 1 winter ( and that's only because she couldn't get out lol) as quick as it warmed up she high tailed it back to Kentucky 😁 She said it got down to like 30 below but I always assumed she was exaggerating lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
My mom moved to your state, she lasted 1 winter ( and that's only because she couldn't get out lol) as quick as it warmed up she high tailed it back to Kentucky 😁 She said it got down to like 30 below but I always assumed she was exaggerating lol.
No she wasnt and at times it gets to 70 below w/ wind chill factored in - 30 below regular temp w/ a wind factored in gets pretty nasty- snow storms can be a b**** -- but that is life in MN -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
No she wasnt and at times it gets to 70 below w/ wind chill factored in - 30 below regular temp w/ a wind factored in gets pretty nasty- snow storms can be a b**** -- but that is life in MN -
Wow that's cold 🥶 🥶. I know mom couldn't get out of there fast enough lol. She loved it there other than the cold though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great reminders, Karrie! Food supply chain & overall supply chains can definitely have a harder
time over the winter which makes it very hard to get supplies. When you need it, that definitely
isn't the time to have to hunt down supplies to get it because you may not be able to find it!

Tracie

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Has anyone tried growing their own greens in winter? I still have an old UV lamp, perhaps it will be suitable for plants. It would be very convenient.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom