Winter heating issues

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Leo
Hi

So, Leo is in a class vivarium currently glass (house hunting for him at the moment). The only problem with that is it chills down a lot at night, especially during winter. I’m afraid the chill is creeping through his substrate to make him colder than average at night.

I’ve had a hard time controlling the temps, and my digital thermometer’s battery died last week and I can’t find the correct batteries anywhere near me (ordered them online, should arrive soon hopefully) so I’ve been using a temp gun, reads 73 usually but I have a feeling it’s colder than that.

What can I do as a temporary heating type thing until I get a new enclosure? I’m thinking of using a heat projector of the sorts (no dhe though) for night during the winter. If that doesn’t work, would a heat mat be an okay temporary solution?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What does the temperature of the room get to where he stays?

Unless it's dropping below 60, you don't really need to care. It's very natural for night time temps to drop and cool off, and it's healthier for the dragon to have a night time cool down.

The only time warmer temps at night are beneficial is when your dragon is sick or fighting off an infection.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
What does the temperature of the room get to where he stays?

Unless it's dropping below 60, you don't really need to care. It's very natural for night time temps to drop and cool off, and it's healthier for the dragon to have a night time cool down.

The only time warmer temps at night are beneficial is when your dragon is sick or fighting off an infection.

-Brandon
That is true— when I lifted him out of his enclosure he was seriously cold though, and when I felt the walls and floor of his enclosure they also gets ice cold.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is true— when I lifted him out of his enclosure he was seriously cold though, and when I felt the walls and floor of his enclosure they also gets ice cold.
They physically can't get much colder than the rooms temperature though. That's just how thermodynamics work.

Them being cold blooded, it can be slightly shocking and concerning feeling them when they don't have a heatlamp or the sun to warm them up, but like I said, it's very natural and something they not only have adapted to, but something that they need.

-Brandon

J4ckdaw-

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Leo
They physically can't get much colder than the rooms temperature though. That's just how thermodynamics work.

Them being cold blooded, it can be slightly shocking and concerning feeling them when they don't have a heatlamp or the sun to warm them up, but like I said, it's very natural and something they not only have adapted to, but something that they need.

-Brandon
Alright. What a relief 😅 there goes another of my worries

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith

-Brandon
On that note, if you keep your room temperature at 70, your tank won't be much cooler than that.
That's what I do at least ;)

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom