Over sleeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakaniKai

My ten month old beardie is sleeping alot lately. After I feed him he stands in his tank for a bit then crawls under his little log and sleeps. I am worried about him not drinking too. Do I wake him up? Is this normal?

Melody12

Hatchling Member
It sounds like pre-brumation to me if he's hiding under his log and sleeping. I've read on some forums that some dragons start going into a pre-brumation period first before going into full brumation in the winter. Turn off the lights and see what he does.

What are your specs for your tank (IE: Lights, UVB, Temps, staple greens, tank size, feeders, etc. Anything to help us know what you've got so far.)

Is his poop regular and does he eat normal?

If you're worried about him not drinking enough water or getting enough water, try getting a spray misting bottle and spritz his salad greens with some water. They obtain water from their baths, salads, feeders, and general misting.

I wouldn't wake him. Just see what he does with his lights off.

MakaniKai

Original Poster
Honestly he hasn't pooped in a while either. I feed him around ten crickets every three days and I always keep some veggies in there for him. He is in a 40 gallon tank. The usual temperature is around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. He has two lights a regular 70 watt bulb, and a 100 watt infrared bulb. I make sure I always clean his water bowl too.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Where are you located? Mostly it is the wrong time of the year for brumation... could he be impacted?? Try a little unsweetened applesauce with a drop or two of olive oil in it...give him a few bites and see if that doesn't help him go poo,,,also, a nice warm bath and gently massage his tummy from under his arms down towards his vent.
Also, loose the infrared light..he doesnt need heat at night unless the room where you keep him gets below 65 degrees. If so, then get a ceramic heat emmiter. What are you measuring your temps with? You need a digital therm. with a probe, or a temp gun. He should have a basking temp of 95 - 110, hot side, 85 - 95 , and a cool side of 75 - 85.
Also, he needs to be eating more .. you should be offering him feeder insects daily along with the greens and veggies. Also, are you using supplements, as in calcium and vitamin powder??

MakaniKai

Original Poster
I am in New Jersey I have a digital thermometer. I have not been feeding him calcium or vitamin powder.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I am going to guess here that it is not brumation. You should be dusting his feeders 1 feeding a day 5 days a week with calcium powder and 2 days a week with vitamins. Have you tried to get him to go poo yet??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom