Stayed in same spot for at least 2 hours and didn’t go to normal sleeping spot.

Worrywart

Beardie name(s)
Alex
I was gone for 13 hours today because of work. And left my baby in the care of my family like I usually do. I usually feed him around 9:45 and remind them to do so at that time. Today I forgot to remind them so they fed him at 5 pm about. He doesn’t seem to have eaten much of, if any, of the veggies they put out for him. And when I came home i immediately noticed he was sleeping on his Log instead of his hammock.( his log is under his hammock) Normally he likes to be on his hammock a lot. It’s his basking spot so it makes sense. And usually he has been sleeping in the same spot for months. But today he wasn’t like I said. But that’s not why I’m worried. According to my mother, he has been hanging out on that log since she last checked on him at 5. And hasn’t really moved since. There’s signs he moved around earlier today (fake plants knocked over) but also it’s weird he didn’t go back to his usual spot? There’s no visible injuries or anything, it’s just odd behavior for him is all. Is this something I should be concerned about? Editing in the addition that I did deep clean his tank yesterday and replaced the carpet, maybe stress?? Idk

Last edited:

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I was gone for 13 hours today because of work. And left my baby in the care of my family like I usually do. I usually feed him around 9:45 and remind them to do so at that time. Today I forgot to remind them so they fed him at 5 pm about. He doesn’t seem to have eaten much of, if any, of the veggies they put out for him. And when I came home i immediately noticed he was sleeping on his Log instead of his hammock.( his log is under his hammock) Normally he likes to be on his hammock a lot. It’s his basking spot so it makes sense. And usually he has been sleeping in the same spot for months. But today he wasn’t like I said. But that’s not why I’m worried. According to my mother, he has been hanging out on that log since she last checked on him at 5. And hasn’t really moved since. There’s signs he moved around earlier today (fake plants knocked over) but also it’s weird he didn’t go back to his usual spot? There’s no visible injuries or anything, it’s just odd behavior for him is all. Is this something I should be concerned about? Editing in the addition that I did deep clean his tank yesterday and replaced the carpet, maybe stress?? Idk
He could be going down for brumation.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Maybe. I thought they did that in early winter? It has been cold lately though. Do you think maybe his temp got lower than normal and that’s why he was acting off?
Theu go down anytime throughout the winter. They can sense if something is colder so that's probably what it is. What are his temps right now? How old is he?

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Around there yeah. Like mid 70’s
Okay I was about to say that that is much cooler if it was in the day. The temp is good at night. Yeah during the day the temps should be at 85°-100°. Mine is at 96 and goes down to 75 at night. What do you measure the temp with?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
it just sounds like he was having a lazy day to me. the seasons are changing, so their behavior usually does too some. as long as your lights and temps are on par, you should be good

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
it just sounds like he was having a lazy day to me. the seasons are changing, so their behavior usually does too some. as long as your lights and temps are on par, you should be good
Small update. I don’t know if this is related but I think he has a respiratory infection. He’s gaping a lot more than usual and only for a little while every few minutes instead of constantly. My vet is closed now but I’m making arrangements to skip class tomorrow to hopefully get him in for an emergency appointment tomorrow. I’ve already ordered ceramic heat emitters (I now realize I should have had them sooner) and they should be here by tomorrow. For now I have my electric heater on to keep it as warm as possible. Don’t know if this was related but I think so. It’s probably been too cold in my room for him. And I didn’t know because I wasn’t here. I feel awful.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how cold are your temps at night? are you taking your temps with digital probe thermometers or just dials? digital probes are most accurate. you wont need the CHE unless it is dropping below about 65°. they like it cool and dark at night

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
how cold are your temps at night? are you taking your temps with digital probe thermometers or just dials? digital probes are most accurate. you wont need the CHE unless it is dropping below about 65°. they like it cool and dark at night
I’ve been using a small analog thermometer mounted to the inside of his tank. His temps at night usually vary based on the season. But lately they have Ben going into the lower 60’s. It’s also possible it’s been too cold for him during the day too. I came home from class and his basking spot was only at 91 I can only imagine how cold the rest was. I haven’t been home much lately and I don’t think my family knows what temps to look for when checking on him. I should have told them.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
ok. that is only getting ambient temps then. you'll want the probes. here's a link for you. the one i have is a little higher end that i got off ebay that has a hygrometer too. but this one will work just fine. i keep things at about 91° hot side, 87° middle, and 82° cool side. then i take the probe from the hot side and put it on the basking spot now and then to verify the temp there, which is usually about 95°. at night i keep my house heater at 66° and inside the enclosure is usually around 70° in the morning. of course all this will change a little bit based on season and the temp in my house.

those numbers will depend on the age of your dragon though. babies need it hotter. Sir Henry of Scales is 3 1/2 years old.

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
ok. that is only getting ambient temps then. you'll want the probes. here's a link for you. the one i have is a little higher end that i got off ebay that has a hygrometer too. but this one will work just fine. i keep things at about 91° hot side, 87° middle, and 82° cool side. then i take the probe from the hot side and put it on the basking spot now and then to verify the temp there, which is usually about 95°. at night i keep my house heater at 66° and inside the enclosure is usually around 70° in the morning. of course all this will change a little bit based on season and the temp in my house.

those numbers will depend on the age of your dragon though. babies need it hotter. Sir Henry of Scales is 3 1/2 years old.
Ok thank you very much.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom