Stayed in same spot for at least 2 hours and didn’t go to normal sleeping spot.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
no problem. your temps are possibly a little low, but it is best to adjust them when you have a probe so you don't accidently cook the poor guy!

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
no problem. your temps are possibly a little low, but it is best to adjust them when you have a probe so you don't accidently cook the poor guy!
Hi I’m sorry I also just looked at the link you sent me, the thermometer shown is nearly identical to the one I have. I’m sorry if there was a misunderstanding I’m not good at explaining myself.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
no worries. the important part is the cord with the probe on the end. it is what is measuring the actual surface temp at the basking spot. if that part is not on yours, you are only getting ambient temps, which are still important. definitely update us after the vet visit!

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
no worries. the important part is the cord with the probe on the end. it is what is measuring the actual surface temp at the basking spot. if that part is not on yours, you are only getting ambient temps, which are still important. definitely update us after the vet visit!
Oh I see, I didn’t realize. And I will!! Thank you again for all your help.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
the other very important thing is the UVB you have. you need a long tube bulb in a fixture with a reflector and placed at the proper distance. if you have a coil, it is inadequate and can cause health issues.

a lot of times around here you will see people ask a question and one of us starts with temps and lighting. that is because they are the MOST important thing to your dragon's health. a lot of times getting them spot on will clear up any issue going on.

but since you suspect a respiratory infection, a vet visit still isn't a bad idea. no matter what, do NOT let your vet give your dragon an enema. and the need for an antibiotics should be based on actual blood work, not a guess as to what is going on. they are harsh on their little systems and often given when not actually needed

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
the other very important thing is the UVB you have. you need a long tube bulb in a fixture with a reflector and placed at the proper distance. if you have a coil, it is inadequate and can cause health issues.

a lot of times around here you will see people ask a question and one of us starts with temps and lighting. that is because they are the MOST important thing to your dragon's health. a lot of times getting them spot on will clear up any issue going on.

but since you suspect a respiratory infection, a vet visit still isn't a bad idea. no matter what, do NOT let your vet give your dragon an enema. and the need for an antibiotics should be based on actual blood work, not a guess as to what is going on. they are harsh on their little systems and often given when not actually needed
Okay, I’ve been meaning to get a tube fixture for a while now. And I’ll keep the enema thing in mind.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
what size enclosure do you have? i can send some links for some good ones. the good thing is once the lights and temps get dialed in, you rarely have to mess with them again. just checks every now and then.

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
what size enclosure do you have? i can send some links for some good ones. the good thing is once the lights and temps get dialed in, you rarely have to mess with them again. just checks every now and then.
I have a 40 gallon breeder, he’s on the smaller side because we had issues with UVB before when he was a baby. So it’s been fine for him. But I have a 75 gallon that I’m buying from a woman in my area once she gets back from dealing with a personal matter. (He’s been glass surfing a lot lately so I decided to get a bigger enclosure.) but that probably won’t be for a while so for now just the 40 gallon.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
ok, either way, you can use a 24" fixture. i have a 36" in my 4x2x2, but could use a 24" if the other hadn't come installed already.

of course, i can't find my saved links. but i have an arcadia pro-t5 set up with a 12% bulb. i'll tag @KarrieRee who i know will have links for it and a couple other options. she's our light guru for the most part. she'll help get ya set up.

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
ok, either way, you can use a 24" fixture. i have a 36" in my 4x2x2, but could use a 24" if the other hadn't come installed already.

of course, i can't find my saved links. but i have an arcadia pro-t5 set up with a 12% bulb. i'll tag @KarrieRee who i know will have links for it and a couple other options. she's our light guru for the most part. she'll help get ya set up.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I’ve had alex for six years and it feels like the information on their care is always different every time I try to research anything. This has been our first health scare since he was a baby. I really appreciate all your help.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i know what you mean. i was lost trying to find information in the very beginning. luckily i found this website. and also, the information we have about them evolves over time. sounds like you're doing pretty good if you've had him that long!

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
i know what you mean. i was lost trying to find information in the very beginning. luckily i found this website. and also, the information we have about them evolves over time. sounds like you're doing pretty good if you've had him that long!
Thank you! I’d like to think I’m doing ok. I try my best. I got him in middle school and I’m in college now. (Community college, hence living with family who thankfully help out with him.) while I’ve got you here though, do you have any advice for transporting him to the vets? It’s winter here and I’m worried about the cold outside shocking his system or something.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4

I will get links posted in morning

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom