A bit concerned

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm a bit concerned here.

My AC/Heater unit went out. So I struggled the past few days to keep him warm. One night, his temp went down to 55 degrees despite the CHE at the foot of his bed. I should have had it over him. So I went ahead and hurried up to heat him up. I used body heat combination to warm him up.
Now, I'm concerned because I noticed that he was 'gaping' while sleeping. I put him in his bed, under a well warmed up CHE. I don't know if this is a sign of an RI or he was hot and was thermoregulating after spending the rest of the day basking under his heat lamp.

I don't have any photos of his gaping. I do tend to be a little warmer than usual because of hot flashes or I'm just very warm blooded with a lot of heart.
I just don't know if this is a cause for concern.
He acts normal. Today, he didn't want to eat. Drank a little water. But did not aspirate any.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm a bit concerned here.

My AC/Heater unit went out. So I struggled the past few days to keep him warm. One night, his temp went down to 55 degrees despite the CHE at the foot of his bed. I should have had it over him. So I went ahead and hurried up to heat him up. I used body heat combination to warm him up.
Now, I'm concerned because I noticed that he was 'gaping' while sleeping. I put him in his bed, under a well warmed up CHE. I don't know if this is a sign of an RI or he was hot and was thermoregulating after spending the rest of the day basking under his heat lamp.

I don't have any photos of his gaping. I do tend to be a little warmer than usual because of hot flashes or I'm just very warm blooded with a lot of heart.
I just don't know if this is a cause for concern.
He acts normal. Today, he didn't want to eat. Drank a little water. But did not aspirate any.
The gaping is him adjusting his body temp - normal-- your tank did get pretty low at 55 - what wattage is the CHE? I would set it in the center of the tank screen and then get a ambient temp in the morning - you want it 65-75 at night

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The gaping is him adjusting his body temp - normal-- your tank did get pretty low at 55 - what wattage is the CHE? I would set it in the center of the tank screen and then get a ambient temp in the morning - you want it 65-75 at night
I was so worried that I kept checking on him until I exhausted myself last night.

He's acting very normal and is basking around on his basking spot this morning..

It's a 100 Watt. It was all I could get in my area on such a short notice. When I had the CHE at the center of the tank, the temps read 55 where he was at. So, I decided to try right over his body. He seemed to be happy with the extra warmth. It was 82 this morning in his tank. A little warm. But, that's because I cover him at night- due to lights on in certain areas of the house.
Mr. Head Bobber.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I was so worried that I kept checking on him until I exhausted myself last night.

He's acting very normal and is basking around on his basking spot this morning..

It's a 100 Watt. It was all I could get in my area on such a short notice. When I had the CHE at the center of the tank, the temps read 55 where he was at. So, I decided to try right over his body. He seemed to be happy with the extra warmth. It was 82 this morning in his tank. A little warm. But, that's because I cover him at night- due to lights on in certain areas of the house.
Mr. Head Bobber.
Ok 82 is too warm at night -- be careful w/ the covering at night and the CHE on -- they get very hot and can catch things on fire very quickly - what size is the tank and it it glass? I have a 100 watt on my 120 gallon tank and it keeps temps around 70 at night --- I am not running it now and have ran it very little this winter as we have not had very cold nights - I usually haft to run it on nights of below zero weather --

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok 82 is too warm at night -- be careful w/ the covering at night and the CHE on -- they get very hot and can catch things on fire very quickly - what size is the tank and it it glass? I have a 100 watt on my 120 gallon tank and it keeps temps around 70 at night --- I am not running it now and have ran it very little this winter as we have not had very cold nights - I usually haft to run it on nights of below zero weather --
I can move the CHE towards the foot of his bed. I'll be careful. I do have the CHE in a wire house fixture and it's loosely wrapped in foil with the top of it exposed. There are a few holes in the foil so it's not completely enclosed. I would have gotten a 75 watt CHE. But, 100 watt was all I could find in all of my pet store places.
It fell into the low 30s here and without any heat, I used the best possible solution was a CHE. I didn't believe the handwarmers would work with that kind of temperature.
I had no heater to run through my house with the exception of two fan forced heaters and two wall heaters.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom