Is it okay to feed turnip greens that are not cut up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently saw this care guide online an unlike other foods it said that turnip greens among other foods did not need to be cut up. I would like to have some reassurance that it won't hurt my beardie.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I offer turnip greens in salads along with collards and dandelion greens on rotation depending on what looks best at the store. I shred all of them by hand into quarter-ish sized pieces that are manageable and I remove the stems.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I use a pair of scissors to cut up my greens (I simply fold the big leaf into 1/2 or 1/4 by width and then cut along the seam and the cut to give bits about 5mm wide , and then mix these with the grated root veg (usually carrot, sometimes carrot + sweet potato) . I also give the beardies bigger pieces of greens (roughly torn up by hand) as well.

Can't find turnip greens in shops here :(

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You need to cut them up. Vet told she she once had an iguana come in for a respiratory infection that turned out to be a whole bunch of oversized leafy greens stuck in the back of its throat. The owner was feeding the leaf whole.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaisyDragon123":1rmvy087 said:
You need to cut them up. Vet told she she once had an iguana come in for a respiratory infection that turned out to be a whole bunch of oversized leafy greens stuck in the back of its throat. The owner was feeding the leaf whole.

That's worth knowing....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There was an incident on here not too long ago too. A dragon had a stem from a green folded over and caught in his beard/throat. Good to get those stems out of the way while your're prepping. The bugs will happily eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom