Force feed.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dreki and Nubby haven't eaten anything in weeks, nothing. I'm 99% positive they aren't eating their salads and Dreki appears mildly dehydrated, even sitting normal her skin is wrinkly. I put her in the bath but she's not a huge fan of them so she mostly won't drink. Can I force water on her.? We called the vet and the closest is October 9th. She's acting relatively herself, she's never been super active, always been a bit of a paranoid scardy-cat and is still like that but as soon as she wakes up, she goes to hide under her log until I drag her out into her basking spot, then she'll sit there most of the time.

She's in. 4x2x2 enclosure from dubia with an Arcadia t5 bulb (I think it's 12%, it may be 14%) and either a 100w or 150w basking bulb, I'm fairly certian it's a 100w and we feed her kale, collards, mustard and turnip greens, and I offer dubias, superworms and hornworms but she doesn't want any of them. She just looks at them. I'm starting to get super stressed, what can I do.? Can I make her drink water with a syringe.?

Also, she's been cleared to not have any parasites or amoeba.

Picture for attention. Also, I know her eyes are saggy, they've been like that since she was born and vet set it's just her characteristic.

Attachments

• 16959189610877382114753160881802.jpg
    16959189610877382114753160881802.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 16959190050336036667135097936121.jpg
    16959190050336036667135097936121.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 62

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dreki and Nubby haven't eaten anything in weeks, nothing. I'm 99% positive they aren't eating their salads and Dreki appears mildly dehydrated, even sitting normal her skin is wrinkly. I put her in the bath but she's not a huge fan of them so she mostly won't drink. Can I force water on her.? We called the vet and the closest is October 9th. She's acting relatively herself, she's never been super active, always been a bit of a paranoid scardy-cat and is still like that but as soon as she wakes up, she goes to hide under her log until I drag her out into her basking spot, then she'll sit there most of the time.

She's in. 4x2x2 enclosure from dubia with an Arcadia t5 bulb (I think it's 12%, it may be 14%) and either a 100w or 150w basking bulb, I'm fairly certian it's a 100w and we feed her kale, collards, mustard and turnip greens, and I offer dubias, superworms and hornworms but she doesn't want any of them. She just looks at them. I'm starting to get super stressed, what can I do.? Can I make her drink water with a syringe.?

Also, she's been cleared to not have any parasites or amoeba.

Picture for attention. Also, I know her eyes are saggy, they've been like that since she was born and vet set it's just her characteristic.
Dragons go thru a period of slow down on food especially in fall - most are getting ready for brumation - as long as her surface basking temps and UVB are good and shes not losing weight shes more than likely getting ready for brumation or semi brumation - try dropping water on her nose to see if she will lick the water - you can also use a eye dropper as well - if shes thirsty she will drink or lick - you can use a syringe but I would either drop water on the snout or use the eye dropper - let her do her thing its normal instinct to brumate so if shes doing hiding etc she may be getting ready to do this

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dragons go thru a period of slow down on food especially in fall - most are getting ready for brumation - as long as her surface basking temps and UVB are good and shes not losing weight shes more than likely getting ready for brumation or semi brumation - try dropping water on her nose to see if she will lick the water - you can also use a eye dropper as well - if shes thirsty she will drink or lick - you can use a syringe but I would either drop water on the snout or use the eye dropper - let her do her thing its normal instinct to brumate so if shes doing hiding etc she may be getting ready to do this
Her temps are good but she won't even lick her snout and I wonder if it's because she's so paranoid. She's *constantly* looking around wide-eyed like she's just waiting for something to come and get her and I've no idea why. I'm not sure if she's loosing, I checked her about a week or two ago and she's 530ish at about 18 inches and ten ish months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Her temps are good but she won't even lick her snout and I wonder if it's because she's so paranoid. She's *constantly* looking around wide-eyed like she's just waiting for something to come and get her and I've no idea why. I'm not sure if she's loosing, I checked her about a week or two ago and she's 530ish at about 18 inches and ten ish months old.
If shes not licking then shes not thirsty-- watch the poops - urate should be formed white and moist poop dark and moist that will tell you if they are dehydrated

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
If shes not licking then shes not thirsty-- watch the poops - urate should be formed white and moist poop dark and moist that will tell you if they are dehydrated
Well, I don't remember the last time she went, frankly. It's been a week, maybe longer.? She hasnt eaten anything, not even hornworms. So she hasn't gone in several days. We decided to take her in as an emergency appointment, since that's all that was available until the 9th. It has me so stressed out

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Please don't try to force the water, it runs a very high risk of aspiration. It would be better to get some none citrus fruit juice or punch to mix in the water. I've had great success like that. Be sure to use a wet cloth to wipe away any that runs down her chin. No need to take a chance on causing bacteria or fungus in her scales.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Well, I don't remember the last time she went, frankly. It's been a week, maybe longer.? She hasnt eaten anything, not even hornworms. So she hasn't gone in several days. We decided to take her in as an emergency appointment, since that's all that was available until the 9th. It has me so stressed out
Honestly if she isn't loosing weight she is probably fine. I've seen mine do that from time to time and never had an issue.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Honestly if she isn't loosing weight she is probably fine. I've seen mine do that from time to time and never had an issue.
Even a month at a time with no food.? She isn't even eating her salad, the amount never changes and she hides more often than not. She stresses me out

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Even a month at a time with no food.? She isn't even eating her salad, the amount never changes and she hides more often than not. She stresses me out
Dragons will brumate for 3 months w/ no food -- like the post above if shes not losing weight shes fine

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Dragons will brumate for 3 months w/ no food -- like the post above if shes not losing weight shes fine
They think she has pneumonia. Her lungs don't look right, they should look like they have air in them and show up dark in an X-ray and hers are showing like dark spots... now I feel like I'm going to pass out. 😢

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
They want to give her fluids and an antibiotic shot that we have to give once every three days and they want us to give her critical care gel for now until it clears up

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They think she has pneumonia. Her lungs don't look right, they should look like they have air in them and show up dark in an X-ray and hers are showing like dark spots... now I feel like I'm going to pass out. 😢
Ok I didnt know you had taken her in -- did you get the X ray if not please get it we can have Tracie look at those X rays --- have them email them to you

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ok I didnt know you had taken her in -- did you get the X ray if not please get it we can have Tracie look at those X rays --- have them email them to you
They're going to email us. The vet said our options are it's either pneumonia or basically cancer. But she doesn't really think it is, but young beardies can get it and it be missed when looked at. So pneumonia or effing cancer what the actual hell... as soon as they send it, I'll tag Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was she breathing heavy or coughing at all ? That would be apparent if she had pneumonia. If the vet took xrays they should be able to tell if the lungs are full of fluid showing pneumonia. A vet should know that beardies [ like mine and many others ] stop eating this time of year.
So if the vet thinks this one is sick what about the other one that is also not eating ?
I'm afraid that your vet doesn't know what's going on.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Was she breathing heavy or coughing at all ? That would be apparent if she had pneumonia. If the vet took xrays they should be able to tell if the lungs are full of fluid showing pneumonia. A vet should know that beardies [ like mine and many others ] stop eating this time of year.
So if the vet thinks this one is sick what about the other one that is also not eating ?
I'm afraid that your vet doesn't know what's going on.
She said she was breathing normally and no coughing, just that her lungs had a bunch of dark spots, as opposed to them being all dark, like they're supposed to be. She said it typically means either a lower penumonia/respiratory thing or heart disease (which she's technically too young for and in too good health for) or a type of stomach cancer.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom