Force feed.?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What about your other beardie that is also not eating ? Please be sure to post the xrays for Tracie to have a look, it just doesn't seem right that a vet saying " I see spots that are either pneumonia or cancer ."

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
What about your other beardie that is also not eating ? Please be sure to post the xrays for Tracie to have a look, it just doesn't seem right that a vet saying " I see spots that are either pneumonia or cancer ."
Apparently, the spots indicate fluid in her lungs or cancer masses and she's taking it from a standpoint of what she can treat. If she improves with the antibiotics then it'll be the respiratory issue, if not then...well...

I'm still waiting on the vet to send over the X-rays, they're being a little slow..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can understand you being scared really, still try not to be too worried. There may be no actual spots that are harmful, just wait + see.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have a hard time believing she is sick. You are ALWAYS on top of every little thing, if she were getting sick i doubt you would have missed it. I think i would consider going to see a different vet.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I have a hard time believing she is sick. You are ALWAYS on top of every little thing, if she were getting sick i doubt you would have missed it. I think i would consider going to see a different vet.
I know, I thought we were taking such good care of them but she hasn't eaten anything in weeks, not a single bite. I'll definitely bring it up, and see what he says. It's hard to believe she's sick too, but the vet wants to treat for it, just in case. I can't imagine what else spots would be, if that's the case. I wish the vet would hurry up and send over the X-rays.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I can understand you being scared really, still try not to be too worried. There may be no actual spots that are harmful, just wait + see.
Do you guys know Tracie's tag.? I got the X-rays.

Attachments

• Dreki_Turnbow_19158-5-20230928144919682-original.jpeg
    Dreki_Turnbow_19158-5-20230928144919682-original.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Dreki_Turnbow_19158-5-20230928144919682-original-1.jpeg
    Dreki_Turnbow_19158-5-20230928144919682-original-1.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 56

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I can't really see anything alarming there compared to other beardie xrays, if there is something it might be a little fluid but I wouldn't think cancer or tumor growths.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I can't really see anything alarming there compared to other beardie xrays, if there is something it might be a little fluid but I wouldn't think cancer or tumor growths.
Well, she said the king is supposed to be all dark, like the spots in the middle and it being lighter is indictive of fluid and/or lack of air. And she said there is a type of stomach cancer where the mass just kind of floats around the abdomen and appears the same way on the X-rays. So I guess we have to see how she responds to the medicine and go from there.

I really hope whatever it is isn't serious because we've tried really hard to take good care of them and I don't know what I'd do if we lost her. It is ✨s t t e s s i n g✨ me out

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i'm confused on how she thinks stomach cancer would show up in the lungs and not the stomach. granted i know nothing about anatomy from reading an x-ray, but that just sounds off. is the stomach under the lungs that would make it show that way?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
i'm confused on how she thinks stomach cancer would show up in the lungs and not the stomach. granted i know nothing about anatomy from reading an x-ray, but that just sounds off. is the stomach under the lungs that would make it show that way?
I wasn't there so I'm only going by what my boyfriend says but the vet said the cancer shows up as a mass, similar to the spottiness in her lungs and floats around the entire abdomen cavity and could show up as spots on the lungs but they don't think that's really likely. She gave us three reasons why her lungs aren't getting enough air and/or have fluid and is treating for the one she can treat for. She said she's too young for heart disease but there's no treatment for that and while we can treat her for the cancer, it's SUPER expensive and not a guarantee so I guess she wants to see how she responds to the antibiotic and stuff and bring her back in for another X-ray in two weeks and go from there.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
ok i guess that makes sense. like i said, i'm super not educated on dragon anatomy. did they do any testing to see what bacteria they are treating with the antibiotics, or just prescribing off of a guess?

that's a personal pet peeve of mine. the use of antibiotics when they really weren't needed almost killed my kiddo cause when she really did need them later in life, her body had built up an immunity to most them. she was on antibiotics 10 times in the first year of her life when what was really going on was an allergy to milk, and antibiotics could never have fixed that. when she wound up with a MRSA infection in the bone of her shoulder at age 10, we were down to about 1 or 2 antibiotics she could even use, and she almost had her arm amputated. anyway, that's a side tangent here, but it is why i'm so super cautious now and will never allow antibiotic use without testing first.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree. I don't really see anything alarming. There might be a little spottiness but it doesn't appear to
be masses present/ Did they not do blood work? Unless masses are clearly seen I hate for them to
automatically start treating for cancer with too strong & harsh medications that aren't necessary.
They do slow down this time of year which is very common. If her weight is stable that is a great sign.
You could mix up a slurry for her, if needed to help with nutritional help. Is her beard normal color or has
it been dark lately?

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

I agree. I don't really see anything alarming. There might be a little spottiness but it doesn't appear to
be masses present/ Did they not do blood work? Unless masses are clearly seen I hate for them to
automatically start treating for cancer with too strong & harsh medications that aren't necessary.
They do slow down this time of year which is very common. If her weight is stable that is a great sign.
You could mix up a slurry for her, if needed to help with nutritional help. Is her beard normal color or has
it been dark lately?

Tracie
She has been a tad dark lately but I think that may be because she can see toothless if he's pressed to the glass, which he does often. But I'm not sure. She isnt loosing but she isn't gaining anything either. They aren't treating for cancer, but she does want to treat for the lower pneumonia with some antibodics. Her fecal came back clean but she did want to treat for that too because she said stuff can be missed on it. She tried to listen to her with the stethoscope but could only do two breaths before she held her breath for a long time but said they sounded okay. I tried repashy, grub pie, that freeze dried mix of stuff for beardies, all the worms and she turned them all away for almost a month. She hasn't pooped in a few weeks either and is dehydrated as heck but won't drink at all.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
ok i guess that makes sense. like i said, i'm super not educated on dragon anatomy. did they do any testing to see what bacteria they are treating with the antibiotics, or just prescribing off of a guess?

that's a personal pet peeve of mine. the use of antibiotics when they really weren't needed almost killed my kiddo cause when she really did need them later in life, her body had built up an immunity to most them. she was on antibiotics 10 times in the first year of her life when what was really going on was an allergy to milk, and antibiotics could never have fixed that. when she wound up with a MRSA infection in the bone of her shoulder at age 10, we were down to about 1 or 2 antibiotics she could even use, and she almost had her arm amputated. anyway, that's a side tangent here, but it is why i'm so super cautious now and will never allow antibiotic use without testing first.
She didn't mention if they tested for anything, I'm not sure if they can, I know they didn't do any blood work, she said she was super dehydrated and it was really hard to even get some fluids and the first shot in her. I'm not super educated on it either but she basically said it's usually one of three things and that it's most likely a lower track pneumonia/respiratory thing and wants to treat for it with antibiotics. I'm definitely a little hesitant about it too.

That's horrifying. I typically don't just give meds to my kids without being certain and I'm feeling the same about Dreki. My youngest has severe insomnia and her previous doctor gave her ADHD medicine. (Not Ritalin or Adderall but the downer ones, basically) like why would you get a 5 year old a basic seditive just because they couldn't sleep..that's ridiculous, I hope she's doing better now.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom