Diet schedule for adult bearded dragon who is not fond of veggies

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
So, Vhagara is coming out quite often now and eating like a pig. She stays out most of the day. I took her stool sample in to be checked for parasites and she is infected with a moderate amount of entamoeba. She is currently taking 0.08 ml of metronidazole (Flagyl). It has been interesting administering the med but we are managing. Slowly, but surely, she is eating more and more greens. (mustard, turnip, collard) I dress her salad with a little bearded dragon dressing and bee pollen. She gets this salad daily. She has not taken to any other veggies. She gets her supplements sprinkled on insects because she doesn't like them sprinkled on her salad. I keep offering yellow squash with occasional carrots, broccoli, green beans but she turns up her nose. She likes to be hand-fed. So, everyday I feed her salad until she no longer wants it. Then every other day I give her a hornworm. After she has had her greens (a good amount), I offer some dubia roaches. Yesterday she ate 12 medium roaches and today she ate 15. She wasn't turning away and I believe would have eaten more had I offered. She is getting a pudgy tummy. So, when do I say she has had enough? I don't want her to get obese. I know as an adult she is not supposed to eat this many insects. But she just isn't totally switched over to veggies yet.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
So, Vhagara is coming out quite often now and eating like a pig. She stays out most of the day. I took her stool sample in to be checked for parasites and she is infected with a moderate amount of entamoeba. She is currently taking 0.08 ml of metronidazole (Flagyl). It has been interesting administering the med but we are managing. Slowly, but surely, she is eating more and more greens. (mustard, turnip, collard) I dress her salad with a little bearded dragon dressing and bee pollen. She gets this salad daily. She has not taken to any other veggies. She gets her supplements sprinkled on insects because she doesn't like them sprinkled on her salad. I keep offering yellow squash with occasional carrots, broccoli, green beans but she turns up her nose. She likes to be hand-fed. So, everyday I feed her salad until she no longer wants it. Then every other day I give her a hornworm. After she has had her greens (a good amount), I offer some dubia roaches. Yesterday she ate 12 medium roaches and today she ate 15. She wasn't turning away and I believe would have eaten more had I offered. She is getting a pudgy tummy. So, when do I say she has had enough? I don't want her to get obese. I know as an adult she is not supposed to eat this many insects. But she just isn't totally switched over to veggies yet.
Don’t give broccoli. Cut down on your insects ASAP she will become obese like that, start slowly taking away bugs. If you already feed once a day feed bugs every other day, if you feed multiple times try to go to once a day and just keep lowering. Don’t give hornworms so often give them maybe 1 every 2 weeks- a month. Hand feed salads but leave the rest in her tank. Try to cut the squash and stuff into strips to look like worms, then put your finger under and wiggle it.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Don’t give broccoli. Cut down on your insects ASAP she will become obese like that, start slowly taking away bugs. If you already feed once a day feed bugs every other day, if you feed multiple times try to go to once a day and just keep lowering. Don’t give hornworms so often give them maybe 1 every 2 weeks- a month. Hand feed salads but leave the rest in her tank. Try to cut the squash and stuff into strips to look like worms, then put your finger under and wiggle it.
Thank you. She would not touch the broccoli so that is a good thing. Today she turned up her nose to her salad and I offered nothing else. Are the hornworms fattening? She loves them but if I feed more than every other day she has loose stools. Today she had her greens with yellow squash sliced thin with a potato peeler and a small piece of mango. She wouldn't touch it. Of course, it may be because I had just given her the metronidazole dose and it tastes horribly bitter.

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Thank you. She would not touch the broccoli so that is a good thing. Today she turned up her nose to her salad and I offered nothing else. Are the hornworms fattening? She loves them but if I feed more than every other day she has loose stools. Today she had her greens with yellow squash sliced thin with a potato peeler and a small piece of mango. She wouldn't touch it. Of course, it may be because I had just given her the metronidazole dose and it tastes horribly bitter.
Idk how fattening they are but they have very high water content (reason for loose stool). It may take her a while to get to eating the salads but she will eventually start to. Don’t feed fruits very often, once a month at most. Like I said leave the salad in the tank, did you try wiggling your finger?

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Yes. I have tried all sorts of ways to get her to eat veggies. She likes her greens now. She did not eat yesterday and has not eaten today. She is staying in her hide until I get her out to give her a med for entamoeba. Just four more doses until she is done. Do you feed when they are trying to go into brumation?

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Yes. I have tried all sorts of ways to get her to eat veggies. She likes her greens now. She did not eat yesterday and has not eaten today. She is staying in her hide until I get her out to give her a med for entamoeba. Just four more doses until she is done. Do you feed when they are trying to go into brumation?
If they come out yes but otherwise I’d leave her be and then feed her when she comes out of brumation. Don’t bother her to much while in brumation, I wouldn’t move her any except for the medication.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom