Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Just wanted to add in here for people, when you make your water crystals squeeze and orange or two over top of the crystals or 2-3 in the gallon and watch them go nuts over the crystals. :wink:

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
Twobeardieguy":1tm922i6 said:
Just wanted to add in here for people, when you make your water crystals squeeze and orange or two over top of the crystals or 2-3 in the gallon and watch them go nuts over the crystals. :wink:

I don't have water crystals as I first bought water pillows and they are still good! but Wow! that is a GREAT idea! that way there is no chance of the fruit going bad and getting a bacterial infection either. lol!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I did this as Lance suggested, and my roach colony went CRAZY for the gel soaked in the juice! Awesome idea! Thanks Lance!

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
I also wanted to thank you Lance. I have the water pillows from petco and I just put them in a cup and squeezed 2 HUGE oranges into the cup and some water which ofcourse the pillows sucked it all up. well, I put the pillows in and closed the bin for about 5 minutes and opened it up to check again to see that A LOT of roaches were on the pillows. I just checked now and the pillows are about 1/3 smaller. Lol! I am thinking that I should buy water crystals ahead of time...

Btw when should I replace the water pillows?

I have two questions.

1) I have geckos & dragons & I need all different sizes. Is there a fast way to separate out the sizes or do I have to hand pick the ones out that are the size that I need?

2) I have a 30 gallon tote. Is this too large? Maybe this is the reason I can't get my temps up. Lance I bought 4 containers yesterday so I am sure you could tell me. I saw a posting where someone had a 10 gallon tote.

Thanks guys!

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
The size of the tote you use really depends on how many bugs you have. I have several hundred in a 13-14 gallon, but if I had thousands I'd probably want larger.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Melissa I know you got them from me. :wink: You can use a spaghetti strainer that is smooth to separate them but you may have to punch bigger holes in their. Ian at theroachranch.com has a way with buckets that he uses. Also what are you using to heat the tote up? I use human heating pads without the auto shut off. You can down size the bin a bit. Also how big is the hole in the lid? You can also cover the whole up a bit to retain some of the heat. Hope this helps.... :wink:

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
I have about 5-600 and I have them in a 30gallon tub(I think) and they are harder to get to than being in a smaller tote! I got the bigger tote because I wanted to buy it so that I didn't have to buy a bigger one in the future and I want to at some point sell roaches so that I can make some money off of them!

I had one question

Do they breed faster if the females and males are kept seperately from the nymphs or do they breed faster being kept together? or what would be that best way for this...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
They breed ok. Best is to have more females to males. And they are a colony species so they do better in groups. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom