Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Rather than study for my molecular and cellular biology exam that I have in 50 minutes, I'm browsing these forums and I noticed that I'm not getting notified on this one, so I'm making this post lol.

hammerhead

Juvie Member
Trogdorpheus":2jramn1s said:
Rather than study for my molecular and cellular biology exam that I have in 50 minutes, I'm browsing these forums and I noticed that I'm not getting notified on this one, so I'm making this post lol.
For future reference there is a "subscribe topic" to click on the bottom left of the page. I just noticed it.

boxerLvr

Ok, stupid questions time (sorry in advance!!). I just received my dubias (300 mixed). I looked at pics in this thread (thank you all!) so I know how to set it up. So now for questions. Which ones do I feed off? How do I tell male from female? Can I use the fluckers cricket quencher as water source? Is heat pad underneath or some sort of heat lamp off to the side the better?

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
You shouldn't feed them off yet. You should wait until your mixed nymphs grow to adults, then wait until their babies are nearly adults before you start feeding out of it heavily. If you don't wait, you'll just run out.

Once they are adults is when you can sex them, the males have full wings, the females have little stubs for wings. And as for choosing which to feed off... well you don't feed off females, and you don't wanna feed off too many males. I like feeding males that look like they've lost a fight with another one, or large nymphs... whichever presents itself to me first.

I use a heat mat underneath, but I know heat lamps on the side will work too, as long as you can make sure the temps are right, and you have a dark colored bin, or some other way to ensure the light doesn't bother them.

the cricket quencher is fine, but its horrendously overpriced. Check out gardening sections of like, Lowes or Home depot, or something (my local ones actually didn't have it, I had to go to Sears to find it) and you can probably find the dry water crystals. One bag of it is about $6 and will make about 50 gallons of wet water crystals.

boxerLvr

Thanks for the reply. Got the dubias from someone here and boy have we had a struggle (through no fault of his I might add!!). First shipment post office lost, or broke, depends who you speak with.. this one, after I opened the box, there were only 67 dubias in there, so either its coming in 2 boxes since I ordered 300.. or post office busted it open.. again. So I know I can't feed any off quite yet (which is ok, still have 2000 crickets to go through).

Had wondered about the cricket quencher since I had some on hand, so put that in there until I can get some water crystals (thanks for telling me where locally to go). Got a heat pad under the 18 gal tote on low, so will check temps here shortly. With 4 dragons to feed, i'll be glad when a colony is established. The smell of the crickets is awful.. but i'm getting to know my UPS driver fairly well with the delivery of crickets every week to week and a half now ;)

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i came back from vacation to find all of my cockroaches dead.. apperently no one felt the need to feed or check water. i had to clean out the bin it was so nasty they were all crunchy. now i have to start all over. :roll:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Morgan I am sorry to hear that. Let me know how much you want to spend and I am sure I can work something out for ya. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom