Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AndyT":magala3n said:
This is a great thread, I read the whole thing throughout the past few days, great pics and info. Since I finished all my reading, I thought I would ask a question. I have recently started a ridiculously small colony, and I was wondering- is 1 adult pair and 100 babies enough to actually start a healthy colony? Or will I have to buy more adults later? Also after reading this thread, I realize that my ONE female has recently dropped her egg sack, so no babies for me :cry: i think I have to bump up my temps. Will she be able to breed again, or does her dropping it mean she's done forever?

Thanks for a great thread!

Andy
Hey Andy thanks, you will be just fine. Having such a small colony it will take more time to get it going but remember the more you add the quicker it will sustain. The more adults you put in the more babies you will make or have. As for her dropping her sac that is just one, she will have plenty more to follow. So do get upset yet and keep your temps up around 85-100 and about 50% humidity and you will be fine. any more questions just ask.. :wink:

AndyT

Juvie Member
Ok thanks! Maybe I'll order some more adults sometime soon. I have a UTH for reptiles, will this work to heat them? They are in a plastic (I don't even nkow what it is, its meant to be used for reptiles, but its small) thing. Will a UTH work on that without starting a fire? Thanks!

Andy

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Na she's not done forever unless she's super old and on her way out anyway. That will be enough to get your colony started, but it will take a lot longer than if you had larger roaches, or more adults. I got about 60 adult females when I started mine. I had several hundred babies within a couple weeks. Once those babies start getting to feeder size, then I'll be free!

The dropped sac is more of an indicator of either stress or too low humidity, rather than not enough heat. I'm betting you have a thermometer that can read all of these things... why not just put it in your roach bin for like, half an hour and see what you're getting? I'd think that 80-95 is good for temps, and maybe around 50-65% humidity?

AndyT

Juvie Member
I don't see how she would be stressed, she has plenty of space since I have so few roaches. I'll start spraying down their bin more, to see if the humidity goes up. I don't have a hygrometer, I guess I'll have to go looking for one. Thanks!

Andy

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
Well if you keep the temps right, and have water crystals or something in there then your humidity probably won't be an issue. The acurite thermometer that people recommend all the time has a built in hygrometer as well as the 2 thermometers. That's like, $12, which is probably only a dollar or two more than a plain hygrometer anyway. Then you could use it to actually know the temps in your house and outside once you know your humidity (ie the intended use lol). Assuming you already have a decent thermometer in your viv though.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
AndyT":828s709i said:
Will a UTH work on that without starting a fire? Thanks!
i'm curious about this as well. i've been contemplating getting a dubia colony going and i have a uth just sitting around (one of my many early mistakes. it would be nice if i could reuse that. i'm a little concerned though since it has that sticky surface, whereas a human heating pad would just sit there.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Trogdorpheus":2p0kae9s said:
nair88":2p0kae9s said:
since it has that sticky surface

stick it to something else, like an old towel or rag, then slide it under the bin.

Seems like much more of a fire hazard than putting it straight on plastic.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I have used an UTH stuck to the bottom of the plastic bin and had no problems until the heat element stopped working in it. They are just unreliable. So I just stick with the human heating pad. You can also use the heat tape for it underneath, the one you cut to fit. :wink:

AndyT

Juvie Member
Ahhh! Confusing! I'll just get a human heat pad soon. Its summer, so the temp is fine for them right now.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlameBeardie
Top Bottom