Here is a picture of a female dubia laying an egg sack

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Not Gonna Happen! That was the one and ONLY time I will EVER reach into the bin with a pair of gloves and grab one! I'm sticking to my tweezers and keeping my hands as FAR AWAY from those bugs as I can! :lol:

Radioflyr

Hatchling Member
Wow I have had roaches for about 8 months now and I have never seen them mating that is crazy. Great shot. I probably have about 400 adult females now and another bin completely separate with thousands of Nymphs. Its funny when I take my dragon to the pet store people ask why she is so fat. Lol I do not tell them because I grow my own roaches but it is in the back of my mind :p

moose9

Hatchling Member
Comment removed cause of repeated content. I was only trying to add to the education process, again apologies for not taking the time to read all 29 pages.

-Greg

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Actually, Lance knows exactly what the female is doing after laying the egg sack and taking it back in. He explained it pretty thoroughly on one of the previous pages. And I believe he has some pics of newly layed babies as well. His original post was not to ask what the female was doing but to show and educate others about it because he has thoroughly researched it and has large breeding colonies. My colony is thriving due to a lot of the info posted on this thread, thanks to Lance.

This was from one of the first posts on the first page:
Twobeardieguy":36yn12nn said:
And just incase people are saying, I thought they where born live well they are!

Females lay an egg sack, they then pull this sack back into themselves to incubate ovoviviparity.
Gestation is about one month (28 days).
The babies hatch inside the female. Between 20 and 40 live young, each about 2 mm long, are produced in each clutch.

Also, here are the birthing pics Lance posted on Pg 8:
Twobeardieguy":36yn12nn said:
Ok so I thought I would share some birthing pictures with you all. Although I was a bit late this is how it is done. :wink: Hope you all enjoy. :D

IMG_2598.jpg

IMG_2599.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

The babies still nursing the nutrients out of the females sack and some still emerging from it.
IMG_2603.jpg

Really pretty cool. Haven't seen this myself in my bins, but I've seen the tiny white babies shortly after birth.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
No worries Greg! Just wanted you to know that Lance had posted the info and great pics. 29 pgs is a lot to read through, but there's really good info for those new to dubia roaches.

You might want to convert over to a few heating pads, otherwise just be patient and try and leave them alone. Next thing you know you'll have more dubias then you know what to do with.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
murphyrules":2n6s3fqv said:
You might want to convert over to a few heating pads, otherwise just be patient and try and leave them alone. Next thing you know you'll have more dubias then you know what to do with.
Actually, I've had heating pads under my bin(s) since day one. My colony has just gone crazy over the last month and a half! The warmer weather certainly helps, but the heating pad has been beneficial from the start. I know my females are laying tons of babies, I just have not physically seen it in action.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Pretty cool isn't it ? You should see the Hissers when they lay.. haven't gotten my girl's lay period down... but they still are ! found one lady ( my lovely pet queen) who had escaped, and all under her were 16 babies old enough to have darkened in carapace.. I just "Picked" up momma, scolded her lightly for escaping, and placed her and those midgets back into a different bin.. I guess she wanted a new back yard ? lol..
Oh, Sandy.. the "picked" up was juuuuust for you, darlin... *grins naughtily*

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Janie! You are so bad! LOL Look back through the posts, I picked up a large adult female and took a pic! Granted, I was wearing rubber gloves! :D I know how you dive into those bins! Head first! :lol:

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Well... perhaps not "head first" but certainly, Hand first ! I believe I saw that picture.. ;)
I could see you shaking in my "minds" eye too !
Forgive me my.... being naughty ? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom