Beardie limping

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has starting limping. Like he won't put his foot on the ground but I noticed he fell asleep with his foot under him. And was like that all day. So I was thinking maybe it just fell asleep. Any ideas?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Is it possible he jumped down from somewhere and hurt it? Maybe check his nails in case he injured one? Does he react to you touching it?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Along with answering those questions, can you post pics of your beardie as well as a few of the tank set up ? Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

EDIT....I just searched your posts + saw your little cutie pie + the set up. Is it the same one now it was from those pics the end of July ? It may be the hammock, your beardie can very easily snag a nail and sprain a foot. If you still use a hammock, take that out ASAP. There might also be a calcium problem if the uvb is still on top of the screen.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How often do you give him calcium? If he is under one year, he will need calcium 4-5 days per week on his insects or greens, once daily.
If you do have your UVB tube on top of the screen, it will filter out up to 30% or so from the light. It would be very helpful if you could mount it underneath of the screen. Is there any swelling on his foot/ankle that you have noticed?

Tracie

Mylittlebabytiger99

Original Poster
Nope I don't have the hammock anymore. And my uvb is mounted inside of the tank. And he can get 6-8 inches from it. Idk if he's fallen. He's usually very skittish and does jump a lot. I will post pics

Mylittlebabytiger99

Original Poster
He seems to be putting a little more pressure on it but I know he's still in pain. He still is limping. It's not swollen. But he doesn't really seem to want to move on it. I feel so bad. Idk whats wrong with him

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that it isn't swollen. Perhaps he jumped off of his platform and landed wrong. It may just be tweaked. It may be a good idea to remove the elevated areas for a bit so he can bask without having to put much exertion on the food so it has a chance to heal up. Try hand feeding him for a bit and keep him as immobilized as is reasonable. Hopefully it will be back in good shape quickly without much intervention. If it does start to swell or doesn't show improvement an x-ray might be worthwhile.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can often use dental x-rays which are cheaper than traditional x-rays. I don't recall exactly but I remember it being under $100. Prices vary between vets but you can call and ask how much it would cost. It should be a set rate. I would monitor him for a bit before getting an x-ray though because the advice will probably be just about the same (immobilize) unless signs of infection are found.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You made a beautiful and spacious enclosure for Tiger, good job. :) It is all pretty big for him at his small size and like Coop said he probably jumped + landed the wrong way. The basking areas are too high for him right now as a baby, a very simple enclosure with lower climbing areas esp. is what he needs now that he's having trouble with his leg. He will probably heal on his own as long as he doesn't re-injure from a possible jump/fall from up high.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, he most likely fell somehow & landed the wrong way on his foot. He will heal but it may take a little bit of time.
You could put in a lower basking area so he doesn't have to climb much right now, maybe use a cardboard box for a makeshift basking area.
Be sure he is getting plenty of calcium too, for bone support.
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Mylittlebabytiger99

Original Poster
Update: tiger has not pooped in 2 days. Last he pooped was Wednesday night. He ate a little bit on thursday and Friday. But still hasn't pooped. His arm is still no better. I'm really worried.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I think it's time for the vet and get that xray. Try some can or baby food pumpkin or prune juice to get him to poo if you tried bathes already. It may be because he hasnt eaten much that he hasnt gone yet. You can also give baby food turkey, chicken and squash since he's not eating much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom