New Juvenile BD Foot Swollen!

cyberbpm

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Beardie from what looked to be a reputable breeder on Morph Market. Paid on Nov 14th. One day later I get a message saying the beardie mysteriously injured his foot. I shrugged it off as I was excited to have a new baby. I recieved him Nov 20th in the mail. The photo I attached is of his foot yesterday (Nov 21st). He is acting/looking normal aside from the foot. Does not want to put any pressure on it. Nearly fell over a couple times trying to get crickets due to not wanting to use foot.

Should I request a return and look elsewhere for another dragon, or should I raise him? I don't mind raising a 'disabled' dragon, but don't necessarily want to be looking for a vet within 3 days of receiving him. Will the two nails grow back that he is missing? Will the swelling naturally go down?

Thank you so much in advance, I'm just worried! Experienced owners, please let me know what you think!

(I sent a message to the breeder this morning asking how the injury happened but no response so far)

Attachments

• Screenshot Texts.jpg
    Screenshot Texts.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 45
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 33

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Your baby was probably bitten by clutch mate. It should heal ok. You can soak it in a betadine solution or use raw unpasteurized or Manuka honey 🍯 to help it heal.

cyberbpm

Original Poster
Your baby was probably bitten by clutch mate. It should heal ok. You can soak it in a betadine solution or use raw unpasteurized or Manuka honey 🍯 to help it heal.
Thank you for the reassurance! I appreciate it so much. I will soak in betadine! How long a day should this be done?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Beardie from what looked to be a reputable breeder on Morph Market. Paid on Nov 14th. One day later I get a message saying the beardie mysteriously injured his foot. I shrugged it off as I was excited to have a new baby. I recieved him Nov 20th in the mail. The photo I attached is of his foot yesterday (Nov 21st). He is acting/looking normal aside from the foot. Does not want to put any pressure on it. Nearly fell over a couple times trying to get crickets due to not wanting to use foot.

Should I request a return and look elsewhere for another dragon, or should I raise him? I don't mind raising a 'disabled' dragon, but don't necessarily want to be looking for a vet within 3 days of receiving him. Will the two nails grow back that he is missing? Will the swelling naturally go down?

Thank you so much in advance, I'm just worried! Experienced owners, please let me know what you think!

(I sent a message to the breeder this morning asking how the injury happened but no response so far)
Please no hammocks in the tank for now- he probably did get the injury from clutch mates or if the dragon was in a tank w/ a hammock that is possible too--- make sure he has surface basking temps of 105-110 for a baby dragon up to 6 months taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- UVB this is crucial -- NO coils - there are 3 brands we recommend on this forum --the UVB needs to be placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- this will help the dragon heal - it is swollen for sure going to have another person on the forum take a look
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
First of all you should get some money back because of the injury for sure and I agree that it's a bite from a clutchmate.
If you can hold the baby and let it's foot dangle in a small jar or cup of the mixture that would be ideal. Mix it 1 part betadine to 10 parts lukewarm water [ approx. ] and let the foot soak for about 10 minutes. If they won't sit still for that use a container that is slightly bigger than the dragon but high enough that he can't jump out so he can sit in it about 1/2" deep. Or whatever size container you have that's not to large.

cyberbpm

Original Poster
Please no hammocks in the tank for now- he probably did get the injury from clutch mates or if the dragon was in a tank w/ a hammock that is possible too--- make sure he has surface basking temps of 105-110 for a baby dragon up to 6 months taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- UVB this is crucial -- NO coils - there are 3 brands we recommend on this forum --the UVB needs to be placed and distanced for the screen on the tank -- this will help the dragon heal - it is swollen for sure going to have another person on the forum take a look
@AHBD
Thank you so much for the recommendations and advice. Definitely following those instructions. He is very active and looking happy otherwise. Eating normally. Just won't put pressure on that foot though doesn't seem to be in any pain.

cyberbpm

Original Poster
First of all you should get some money back because of the injury for sure and I agree that it's a bite from a clutchmate.
If you can hold the baby and let it's foot dangle in a small jar or cup of the mixture that would be ideal. Mix it 1 part betadine to 10 parts lukewarm water [ approx. ] and let the foot soak for about 10 minutes. If they won't sit still for that use a container that is slightly bigger than the dragon but high enough that he can't jump out so he can sit in it about 1/2" deep. Or whatever size container you have that's not to large.
Thank you SO much!! I will do this. Will let you know in a couple of days how it's looking.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

At his age, he should heal up pretty quickly. You should definitely try the raw unpasteurized or manuka
honey it is very effective.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom