Isrena

Beardie name(s)
Haku
My baby was perfectly normal when I left for work, a couple hours later I came home and looked at him, noticed he wasn’t using his right leg and that it was swollen. It’s possible he fell from either his rock or he likes to climb on the front of the tank when he wants attention. I picked him up to examine, there’s no hairs or anything caught on his arm. But he cannot move it, or put weight on it, it’s bent back and swollen. When I put him down his whole body slumped and his tail lays completely flat. He’s super lethargic and barely breathing. I called the vet but they said they can’t get him in till about 4pm tomorrow (16 hours since I found him) I think he fell off something in his enclosure and broke his arm. How can I help him in the meantime? Hes just a baby still, 2-3 months old.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My baby was perfectly normal when I left for work, a couple hours later I came home and looked at him, noticed he wasn’t using his right leg and that it was swollen. It’s possible he fell from either his rock or he likes to climb on the front of the tank when he wants attention. I picked him up to examine, there’s no hairs or anything caught on his arm. But he cannot move it, or put weight on it, it’s bent back and swollen. When I put him down his whole body slumped and his tail lays completely flat. He’s super lethargic and barely breathing. I called the vet but they said they can’t get him in till about 4pm tomorrow (16 hours since I found him) I think he fell off something in his enclosure and broke his arm. How can I help him in the meantime? Hes just a baby still, 2-3 months old.
Keep him warm over night w/ a Ceramic Heat Emitter around 80 ambient temp --- if there is a hammock in the tank remove it - get him under his basking light temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- his UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? You dont want a coil --- get some rolled up dish towels or towels under the lighting so hes not climbing and more comfortable -- keep him hydrated -- if you can -- see if he will lick water from a eye dropper or drop water on his nose -- here is a pic of a hospital tank that you can set up

Attachments

• Hospital tank.jpg
    Hospital tank.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 49

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Keep him warm over night w/ a Ceramic Heat Emitter around 80 ambient temp --- if there is a hammock in the tank remove it - get him under his basking light temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer --- his UVB is a coil or a long tube fixture? You dont want a coil --- get some rolled up dish towels or towels under the lighting so hes not climbing and more comfortable -- keep him hydrated -- if you can -- see if he will lick water from a eye dropper or drop water on his nose -- here is a pic of a hospital tank that you can set up
It’s an Arcadia 12 I think, it’s a long tube. He hasn’t moved over night, I’m still waiting. I don’t want to touch him to hurt him anymore as he looks like he’s in a lot of pain. I’ve moved everything high and lowered his hammock basically to the floor, he loves hiding under the fake plant leaves so I put that above him in his spot and put the heat emitter above him over night… hoping that’s okay. He’s barely reactive or opening his eyes to sound/light. He’s breathing so slow and shallow I don’t know if he is.
I’m so worried I had horrible nightmares about him all night

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
It’s an Arcadia 12 I think, it’s a long tube. He hasn’t moved over night, I’m still waiting. I don’t want to touch him to hurt him anymore as he looks like he’s in a lot of pain. I’ve moved everything high and lowered his hammock basically to the floor but he likes to sleep under it, not over it so he is under there, and hiding under the fake plant leaves so I put above him in his spot and put the heat emitter above him over night… hoping that’s okay. He’s barely reactive or opening his eyes to sound/light. He’s breathing so slow and shallow I don’t know if he is.
Should I take everything out and replace it with blankets?

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
It’s an Arcadia 12 I think, it’s a long tube. He hasn’t moved over night, I’m still waiting. I don’t want to touch him to hurt him anymore as he looks like he’s in a lot of pain. I’ve moved everything high and lowered his hammock basically to the floor, he loves hiding under the fake plant leaves so I put that above him in his spot and put the heat emitter above him over night… hoping that’s okay. He’s barely reactive or opening his eyes to sound/light. He’s breathing so slow and shallow I don’t know if he is.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get him propped up on dish towels under his uvb- and basking light make sure surface basking temp under the light is 105-110 place the uvb next to it approximately 12-15 inches w/ no screen - take everything out I am thinking it was the hammock that caused the injury - please look at your uvb and tell me what it is

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
It’s an Arcadia 24w, it’s a long tube. He hasn’t moved over night, I’m still waiting. I don’t want to touch him to hurt him anymore as he looks like he’s in a lot of pain. I’ve moved everything high and lowered his hammock basically to the floor, he loves hiding under the fake plant leaves so I put that above him in his spot and put the heat emitter above him over night… hoping that’s okay. He’s barely reactive or opening his eyes to sound/light. He’s breathing so slow and shallow I don’t know if he is.
Update: it’s morning, vet is almost open, when turning on his lights and moving him to a comfortable spot on dish towels under his light, I took everything out but that and his water. He seems to be way more awake and alive than couldve even hoped given the circumstances, his arm is still very swollen, but it does look like it’s gone down a little, he’s still very much favouring it and not using it, as well as the only time he tried to run from me was when I touched his arm to put it in a more comfortable position when I set him down on his towels under the basking spot. Vet appointment is at 4, fingers crossed they can get him in before, they told me to call as soon as they open and see if they have anything else available.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update: it’s morning, vet is almost open, when turning on his lights and moving him to a comfortable spot on dish towels under his light, I took everything out but that and his water. He seems to be way more awake and alive than couldve even hoped given the circumstances, his arm is still very swollen, but it does look like it’s gone down a little, he’s still very much favouring it and not using it, as well as the only time he tried to run from me was when I touched his arm to put it in a more comfortable position when I set him down on his towels under the basking spot. Vet appointment is at 4, fingers crossed they can get him in before, they told me to call as soon as they open and see if they have anything else available.
Ok please keep us updated --

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Update: he’s at the vet waiting to hear more
He was syringe fed twice before with some beardie buffet watered down into a baby food texture. Waiting to hear more

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
UPDATE: HE IS HOME!!!
Turns out the poor guy dislocated his shoulder, ive removed the hammock permanently, just in case it’s a hazard. He’s got his arm taped comfortably and was sent home with pain meds. He seems much more comfortable and happy.
Very sleepy and still looks like he’s in pain. But he’s on his road to recovery! Thanks everyone for the compassion and advice! Sooo glad he’s doing okay!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I was hoping to hear good news. Poor thing, he is very young so it is easy for them to hurt their
joints on hammocks like that. Since he is so active, it is common for them to sprain or wrench their
arms, shoulders, etc. How is the swelling looking?
That is a good idea to take the hammock out so he can't hurt himself like that again. Keep him a little
warmer overnight right now to help boost his system.. What pain medication did they send home for
him?

I hope he is feeling better soon. Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Hello,

I was hoping to hear good news. Poor thing, he is very young so it is easy for them to hurt their
joints on hammocks like that. Since he is so active, it is common for them to sprain or wrench their
arms, shoulders, etc. How is the swelling looking?
That is a good idea to take the hammock out so he can't hurt himself like that again. Keep him a little
warmer overnight right now to help boost his system.. What pain medication did they send home for
him?

I hope he is feeling better soon. Let us know how things are going.

Tracie
Hello! Thank you for all the advice, lil guy had me worried out of my mind!
They sent me home with Meloxlam (metacam)
When I brought him home last week he was extremely underweight for his age, and still is. But he’s been gaining weight and eating like crazy since the day I brought him home. Fecal sample and blood work was all good today as well! I have grub pie and beardie buffet that I am going to syringe feed him with for the next couple weeks. Is there a better of those two options for how small he is to help him gain more weight?

Attachments

• 46B03A4A-B539-4EF3-B52E-9CEF73631D34.jpeg
    46B03A4A-B539-4EF3-B52E-9CEF73631D34.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 28901354-23FC-4F71-8D95-0986B7CDAA59.jpeg
    28901354-23FC-4F71-8D95-0986B7CDAA59.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 49

Isrena

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Haku
Hello! Thank you for all the advice, lil guy had me worried out of my mind!
They sent me home with Meloxlam (metacam)
When I brought him home last week he was extremely underweight for his age, and still is. But he’s been gaining weight and eating like crazy since the day I brought him home. Fecal sample and blood work was all good today as well! I have grub pie and beardie buffet that I am going to syringe feed him with for the next couple weeks. Is there a better of those two options for how small he is to help him gain more weight?
I honestly thought the vet would give me more advice for caring for him during this time when I picked him up, can’t help but feel like there’s something more I can/should be doing for him

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom