when do i need to replace the uvb light and heat lamp?

hi ive had my beardie since begining of december, and just the lamps seem not as hot as they were when i first had the vivarium, should i replace it or should i just keep it?

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Which lamps do you have?
UV lamp (tube) should be replaced after at maximum one year.
A "heat lamp" should be a halogen lamp (clear, not e.g. a red lamp) and will last until it burns out - mine usually burn out after 2 - 3 months.

As you mention "seems not as hot": How do you measure the temperature? Please measure the temperature with a digital probe thermometer. If it is not hot enough, it's usually not a degrading lamp but it's just not strong enough or not close enough to the basking spot. The difference between December and now could be (assuming you are in the North hemisphere) during winter you heated your room more and had the windows open less, and now in spring you do the opposite so it cools down more often?
Anyway, check the temperature and if it's too low you might adjust the position of the lamp or get a stronger one.

Alwills2708

Original Poster
Which lamps do you have?
UV lamp (tube) should be replaced after at maximum one year.
A "heat lamp" should be a halogen lamp (clear, not e.g. a red lamp) and will last until it burns out - mine usually burn out after 2 - 3 months.

As you mention "seems not as hot": How do you measure the temperature? Please measure the temperature with a digital probe thermometer. If it is not hot enough, it's usually not a degrading lamp but it's just not strong enough or not close enough to the basking spot. The difference between December and now could be (assuming you are in the North hemisphere) during winter you heated your room more and had the windows open less, and now in spring you do the opposite so it cools down more often?
Anyway, check the temperature and if it's too low you might adjust the position of the lamp or get a stronger one.
ill attach a photo of my vivarium now, it was set up by a pet store that i got him from

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 20

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
ill attach a photo of my vivarium now, it was set up by a pet store that i got him from
Does the fixture for the UVB have a reflector? that would be a shiny piece behind the bulb looks like tin foil - w/ it being a T 5 it should be changed out every 10 - 11 months -- the basking bulb should be changed out when its no longer keeping surface basking temps to what they need to be --- you want a digital probe thermometer for that ---

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom