Heat lamp

Katie92

Beardie name(s)
Valdora
Is this light suitable? I wasn't sure because it says R40 Infrared. My arcaida 100 watt won't get his tank warm enough and we bought a zoomed yesterday that exploded seconds after putting it up. I went to several stores yesterday and nobody had halogen or incandescent lights just LED, this is the only other bulb locally i can buy otherwise ill have to order and wait for it. Currently I've had to switch back to the MVB to keep his tank warm enough, I'm running his t5 on the opposite side of his tank to make sure he's getting enough uvb but not overlapping with my mvb.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_093407_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_093407_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 31

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
MVBs are maybe a little outdated by the more modern MHBs but still a valid option to use.

Personally I'd check all the petstores in the area or order online instead of using something that is even slightly sketchy. Heat and UVB are too critical to take chances on....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is this light suitable? I wasn't sure because it says R40 Infrared. My arcaida 100 watt won't get his tank warm enough and we bought a zoomed yesterday that exploded seconds after putting it up. I went to several stores yesterday and nobody had halogen or incandescent lights just LED, this is the only other bulb locally i can buy otherwise ill have to order and wait for it. Currently I've had to switch back to the MVB to keep his tank warm enough, I'm running his t5 on the opposite side of his tank to make sure he's getting enough uvb but not overlapping with my mvb.
It looks like a solid clear bright white bulb I cant see if it says UVA on it--- if it does and its keeping temps to what you need you can use it --- what Zoo Med did you buy?

Katie92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valdora
It looks like a solid clear bright white bulb I cant see if it says UVA on it--- if it does and its keeping temps to what you need you can use it --- what Zoo Med did you buy?
This is the one I bought and what it looks like now. I know my dome can handle the watts because my MVB is a 160 Watt bulb. Idk if it was defective but I'm definitely going to steer clear.

Attachments

• 17125955627061987004619467177326.jpg
    17125955627061987004619467177326.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 17125955735428407655784710847944.jpg
    17125955735428407655784710847944.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 26

Katie92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valdora
MVBs are maybe a little outdated by the more modern MHBs but still a valid option to use.

Personally I'd check all the petstores in the area or order online instead of using something that is even slightly sketchy. Heat and UVB are too critical to take chances on....
I agree reading online and it doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for a basking point. Might keep the Viv itself at temp but not enough direct rays to heat his stone well enough. I've ordered a 150W halogen and will continue using my MVP with my T5 until it comes in

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
This is the one I bought and what it looks like now. I know my dome can handle the watts because my MVB is a 160 Watt bulb. Idk if it was defective but I'm definitely going to steer clear.
That's crazy!
Probably a defect from the get go. Remember always touching any bulb (except LEDs) with gloves, cloth or a piece of fabric in between. Drastically increases the lifespan.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those have turned out not to be very good bulbs - I dont usually recommend them when people ask --

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I can add to what Chris. mentions: Always touch them with some kind of fabric, gloves etc. Some pet stores will test them, and I've seen that being done while touching them with bare hands... a big "no". Also the lamps should not be moved when they are hot.

I'm also using them (cannot get anything else here regarding heat lamps) and they typically last 2 - 3 months with taking care of all the things I mentioned. Package says 2000 hours, but I've never seen that happening.

I don't understand why their lifetime is so short. When iridescent bulbs were common in light fixtures, for sure we not had to switch them out each 2 months, not even when having them on all day long in winter.

@Katie92 I would ask for a refund.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
that's interesting. i will add to the probably defective list. those are the bulbs i always use and have never had a problem with them. although i do have a solid top tank, so i don't have a dome, and usually use a 75W in winter and 50W in the summer. i suppose that could make a difference.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Can agree on CooperDragon. I also use them, and it's increasingly harder to find them. I also had/have the problem recognizing they soon might not be available any longer in my country. Luckily I was able to stock up a lot last week!

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom