No Halogen anymore - replacement

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
This lamp is very similar to a metal halide lamp. You should check to see if a ballast is required for use with the lamp. If you need ballast, then there is no doubt that it is a metal halide lamp. You should also make sure that the spectrum of the lamp looks as similar as possible to the sun
So I would have to buy something special ("ballast") for using such a lamp?
Currently I have the Zoomed basking bulb, as well as as as this lamp (halogen flood lamp)
which looks like what you show in your image, screwed into E27 fixtures (the typical terrarium "domes"). For a "metal halide lamp", I cannot do that?

I know that a ballast/"Vorschaltgerät" is required for tubes and included in the fixture, and I know what it does technically.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
So I would have to buy something special ("ballast") for using such a lamp?
Currently I have the Zoomed basking bulb, as well as as as this lamp (halogen flood lamp)
which looks like what you show in your image, screwed into E27 fixtures (the typical terrarium "domes"). For a "metal halide lamp", I cannot do that?

I know that a ballast/"Vorschaltgerät" is required for tubes and included in the fixture, and I know what it does technically.
Yes, a metal halide lamp(or HID lamp) requires a ballast. It allows you to increase the time for slowly turning on the lamp. I did a little review of that lamp that I showed you, this is the topic. If I missed something, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Thanks, I read through this topic. I will thus not buy the lamp for birds shown above, as I just don't know what I would get (is this HID, what is the spectrum... no info given; I don't want to use a lamp with an unknown spectrum which I also cannot measure, and which is not mentioned on a reliable website as appropriate for bearded dragons, as here I just have the bad feeling that I would be "experimenting" with my dragon's health with is obviously a no-no for me).
And if it requires a ballast, I might even have do deal with buying another device that's likely again hard to acquire.

So I will be better off with using 2x Zoomed basking bulb which shouldn't be worse than what I'm using now and works well (with the current setup, my dragon is very healthy, behaves active/normally etc.)

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I completely agree with you. I would do the same. Don’t take risks. If it is possible to install two lamps, this is also an excellent solution.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I completely agree with you. I would do the same. Don’t take risks. If it is possible to install two lamps, this is also an excellent solution.
I right now have two lamps installed, so also would not need a second dome. The enclosure is big enough for multiple ones.
Any kind of risks with pets regarding "cheaper replacement, but it just looks like... would guess..." and even some unconfirmed "but it's sold for reptiles!" products are a big no-no for me.

ChileanTaco

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
I was lucky and found some more (of the Westinghouse halogen flood lamps) - so I stocked up last week big!
Despite not on stock anymore regarding the website of the local hardware stores (and nowhere to find online here anymore), they had a huge pile of them in the store downtown.
Got a bunch of them.
🦎
:cool:
And will bring, in addition, some more Zoomed ReptiBasking Spot 100W with me from Germany when traveling in fall (220 V here, and in Germany I can get them for about 1/4 of the steep price they charge here (here they want $20 per bulb of which $10 is shipping per individual bulb which I have to pay as I can't get them in a physical store)).

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom