Arcadia Halogen Heat lamp have yellowish light

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yesterday I received a parcel with a new Arcadia halogen heating lamp 75w. Now I have an Arcadia Deep Heat Projector (DHP) as heating lamp installed in my terrarium.
Без названия.jpeg

I decided to replace it with a halogen one, and use DHP on cold nights. When I turned on the halogen lamp, I was surprised by its yellowish light. I already have an Arcadia mercury lamp (MVP), it produces white light only, also on the forum I often met recommendations to use only white light heating lamps. I looked at the box and the spectrum of the lamp was shown there.
IMG_20230826_232656.jpg

It is strongly shifted to the red and yellow side, and the glow temperature is as 2750K. That's right, this lamp should be yellow. Now I am confused. I trust the Arcadia brand, but I also remember the recommendation that the light should be white. Please tell me, is everything okay with this lamp?

Solution
I often met recommendations to use only white light heating lamps.
While meant with good intention, that advice is erroneous.

The goal is a proper spectra output as a whole over the enclosure. In this case, proper means as close as possible to natural sunlight.

Your UVB bulb is already producing visible light more towards the higher levels of the visible spectra (the "cooler" colors). UVB bulbs are horrible at producing spectra in the lower ends such as the reds and yellows. Natural sunlight has a mixture of these wavelengths.

A "warmer" colored basking light, paired with the "cooler" colors of the UVB light actually pair quite harmoniously to achieve a closer spectra to natural sunlight as opposed to only using "White"...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yesterday I received a parcel with a new Arcadia halogen heating lamp 75w. Now I have an Arcadia Deep Heat Projector (DHP) as heating lamp installed in my terrarium.
View attachment 83380
I decided to replace it with a halogen one, and use DHP on cold nights. When I turned on the halogen lamp, I was surprised by its yellowish light. I already have an Arcadia mercury lamp (MVP), it produces white light only, also on the forum I often met recommendations to use only white light heating lamps. I looked at the box and the spectrum of the lamp was shown there.
View attachment 83381
It is strongly shifted to the red and yellow side, and the glow temperature is as 2750K. That's right, this lamp should be yellow. Now I am confused. I trust the Arcadia brand, but I also remember the recommendation that the light should be white. Please tell me, is everything okay with this lamp?
So when it emits the light its a yellowish color?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I often met recommendations to use only white light heating lamps.
While meant with good intention, that advice is erroneous.

The goal is a proper spectra output as a whole over the enclosure. In this case, proper means as close as possible to natural sunlight.

Your UVB bulb is already producing visible light more towards the higher levels of the visible spectra (the "cooler" colors). UVB bulbs are horrible at producing spectra in the lower ends such as the reds and yellows. Natural sunlight has a mixture of these wavelengths.

A "warmer" colored basking light, paired with the "cooler" colors of the UVB light actually pair quite harmoniously to achieve a closer spectra to natural sunlight as opposed to only using "White" lights.

Using only cool colored (or white) lights in your enclosure deprives your lighting spectra of the other necessary colors to mimic sunlight.

That particular basking bulb would pair very nicely with a typical uvb tube.

-Brandon

Solution

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thank you! It makes sense. You have reassured me!
Now the visible spectrum of light from a heating lamp is stronger than the light from UVB. And the heating zone has a warm tint. Does it make sense to even out the visible spectrum by setting an LED jungle dawn for example?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does it make sense to even out the visible spectrum by setting an LED jungle dawn for example?
You can, but I doubt you will see much benefit other than your own perspective aesthetic.

One day we will have lighting arrays that not only mimic the visible (and parts of the non-visible) spectra of the sun in our enclosures, but also mimic the changing spectra throughout the day, sunrise-noon-sunset.

It's possible with the technology we have now, maybe just not cost effective. It's something I've been working on actually.

-Brandon

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
It's possible with the technology we have now, maybe just not cost effective. It's something I've been working on actually
Are you involved in the development of these arrays?
This is a very interesting and much needed job!
I think that many keepers are looking forward to the results of these works.
I will definitely be among the first buyers of this kind of lighting systems.
In fact, I'm already planning to create something similar that creates the UV (A and B), visible spectrum and IR (A and B) ranges.
Now this is not a problem, we already have the necessary lamps: Reptile System Gold IR (IRA & IRB), Reptile System Proten dawn or Arcadia Jungle, metal halide lamps (extended visible violet and UV range).
The problem arises when imitating changes in the morning-afternoon-evening spectrum. We can only change the power in heating lamps using a dimmer and on visible spectrum LED panels, but this is not available on metal halide and UV lamps.
But there seems to be good news. I know the owner of the lighting store where I buy my lamps, he supplies lamps to the major zoos in our country and follows new developments in this area. He told me that a new generation of UV LED panels will be on the market very soon. Panels have been developed for a long time, but the power of UVB did not allow them to be used in terrariums. According to him, a big step has now been taken in increasing the capacity, and we will soon see the results of these works. I heard similar information from other sources. Perhaps the time when we can control the power of the UVB will soon come.

PS: in fact, I just started studying this topic and I can be wrong somewhere, so if I'm wrong somewhere, then correct me please

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There are ways currently to adjust uv output with current bulbs, but LEDs would make things much easier, and in my case, more compact.

The lighting array I'm working on right now basically takes up the whole top footprint of the tank. UV LEDs that were sufficient would basically halve the size.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom