Do I need a clamp??

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
So I was looking for new heat lamps for my bearded dragon as he has only one spare one left. I wanted to try a different heat lamp that emits no light so it doesn’t disturb his sleep. I found https://www.chewy.com/flukers-ceramic-reptile-heat-emitter/dp/129150 and was interested in buying it. In the description, it said to screw it into a clamp with a socket. Would I need a clamp to use this ceramic heater? Advice will be greatly appreciated.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
So I was looking for new heat lamps for my bearded dragon as he has only one spare one left. I wanted to try a different heat lamp that emits no light so it doesn’t disturb his sleep. I found https://www.chewy.com/flukers-ceramic-reptile-heat-emitter/dp/129150 and was interested in buying it. In the description, it said to screw it into a clamp with a socket. Would I need a clamp to use this ceramic heater? Advice will be greatly appreciated.
This depends on how you plan to install your new lamp in the terrarium.
Ceramic lamps do not emit visible light, so there is little point in using a dome to block the light on the sides of the lamp. Therefore, the manufacturer advises using an inexpensive solution - a socket and a clamp, this will be enough.
You don't have to use a clamp if it's not convenient for you, for example I have my Arcadia Deep Heat lamp installed like this:
32.jpg

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I never understood how people use the socket and clamp like this :)
clump.JPG

There are usually no clamping areas in or above the terrarium.
This might work if you don't have a ceiling on your terrarium and can attach a clip to the terrarium wall, but I haven't seen terrariums without any ceiling.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Make ABSOLUTELY sure what ever you use the socket is ceramic and rated for the heat emitter, they get really hot. Personally i recommend putting them in a dome for 2 reasons. 1) it helps direct the heat down to your beardie, 2) it helps keep you and family from accidentally touching it. They work the same as the burners on an electric stove, so they can cause nasty burns.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
@xp29 is absolutely right. You should use ceramic sockets. If you want to place a ceramic heater inside the terrarium, then you need to use a mesh shade, also make sure that the dragon cannot reach it.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Make ABSOLUTELY sure what ever you use the socket is ceramic and rated for the heat emitter, they get really hot. Personally i recommend putting them in a dome for 2 reasons. 1) it helps direct the heat down to your beardie, 2) it helps keep you and family from accidentally touching it. They work the same as the burners on an electric stove, so they can cause nasty burns.
I'm a little wary of using a heat lamp inside a dome. I have a phobia:LOL:, it seems to me that it will overheat due to the lack of good ventilation and the heat emitter can quickly burn out.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Some of my domes have vent holes about the size of a dime. I try to use those with the emitters.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Thanks for all your replies. The thing is I think these clamps will be too big as the heat lamps in my bearded dragons enclosure are close.

Attachments

• IMG_4029.jpeg
    IMG_4029.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 34

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
PLEAAASSSEEE get rid of the red lights. For one they can cause eye damage, for 2 beardies want it dark when they sleep, any light disrupts their sleep. You can mount a heat emitter the same as the red bulbs but it needs a wire cage around it so your beardie can't touch it

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
PLEAAASSSEEE get rid of the red lights. For one they can cause eye damage, for 2 beardies want it dark when they sleep, any light disrupts their sleep. You can mount a heat emitter the same as the red bulbs but it needs a wire cage around it so your beardie can't touch it
I am aware of that and you are completely right. My bearded dragon can’t touch it if he climbs on one of his enclosure accessories. So do I need a clamp or wire cage?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I am aware of that and you are completely right. My bearded dragon can’t touch it if he climbs on one of his enclosure accessories. So do I need a clamp or wire cage?
As long as you don't exceed the wattage rating for the sockets the red bulbs are in you could put the emitter in one of those. I would for sure put a wire cage around it though.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
After looking at the pictures again, if the base could be moved a bit farther from the wall, that might be a good idea.
At least turn it on and monitor it for a few hours and make sure it isn't to much heat on the wall.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
As long as you don't exceed the wattage rating for the sockets the red bulbs are in you could put the emitter in one of those. I would for sure put a wire cage around it though.
By the way, the red bulbs are just screwed in. Thanks for your help

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
After looking at the pictures again, if the base could be moved a bit farther from the wall, that might be a good idea.
At least turn it on and monitor it for a few hours and make sure there isn't too much heat on the wall.
Unfortunately, I can't move the base. Throughout all these years the wall seems to handle the good heat but I will make sure to check it when I get those bulbs.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom