whats the average size of a 5.5 month old female beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

drakedragon

Juvie Member
mine is currently 12" and 194g. ive found a chart and somes female bearded dragon at around the same age was 13.5" but was only around 150g

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Zy, my female, is 15.5" and 212g at 5.5months old.
Just keep in mind that all beardies grow at different rates. :D

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
The average size for a beardie at that age can be from 100 to 300 grams, you can't really compare dragons with different genetics, metabolisms and environments. Some of my biggest, fattest dragons were slow growers and grew more during the second year than the first (I call them 2nd year dragons). This reminds me of a study I found, the scientist studied clutches of babies in the wild for several years in australia. It concluded that bearded dragon clutches are all made up of fast growing to slow growing babies in order to insure survival of the bloodlines. The fast growing offspring bred earlier, but died sooner, only making it through the next season. The slower growers were more drought hearty, but didn't breed until the following season and survived much longer in the wild. This helped them get through more drastic weather conditions, colder winters and hotter summers. In my own personal experience, I have found that the slower growers tend to be calmer, less stressed dragons who have stronger immune systems and resist parasites much better. Being a breeder, I usually get stuck with the slower growers longer or end up keeping them to breed later. My dragon's have a reputation for being extremely sweet and personable, I mean who doesn't adore a cuddly dragon? Regardless, don't worry if you have a smaller sized dragon, it doesn't mean anything is wrong at all. Their metabolisms are slow and steady in the beginning, then most end up being amazingly beautiful, fat and healthy later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom