5.5 month old not eating

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Hello all, this isn't my first baby beardie, he or she is almost 6 months and has been a great eater until this week. No interest. Plenty of lights and heat (all the proper kind) my last beardie was 12 when he went and I had him from a baby. Not new to this but this newbie is giving me some trouble, for a couple days was only interested on veggies, maybe a cricket or mealworm or dubia here and there. It seems to keep slowing down though. I have all sorts of dragon food and supplemental treats I'm pushing in the meantime. My last guy went through the same thing at this age, but I just wanted any advice? Thank you all in advance!

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Hello all, this isn't my first baby beardie, he or she is almost 6 months and has been a great eater until this week. No interest. Plenty of lights and heat (all the proper kind) my last beardie was 12 when he went and I had him from a baby. Not new to this but this newbie is giving me some trouble, for a couple days was only interested on veggies, maybe a cricket or mealworm or dubia here and there. It seems to keep slowing down though. I have all sorts of dragon food and supplemental treats I'm pushing in the meantime. My last guy went through the same thing at this age, but I just wanted any advice? Thank you all in advance!
My beardie stopped eating and moving much. I thought it was brumation but it didn't seem right. So I took her to the vet and it was a respiratory infection. A little bit of help later and she is the healthiest beardie you could imagine. From my experience, if you deep down know they need to go to a vet, they do. Im not saying that all bearded dragons need the vet, but I am saying if they have severe problems(you will know if they do) then it is needed.

If you have proper experience and know when they are in serious danger, then you should be good. Give them a day and if they are still acting like this, look into brumation(if you don't do brumation already or understand it). I would try some bee pollen on the food they are not wanting. It smells really good to them and makes it more interesting.

Have they been pooping regularly? If they don't go for a couple of days due to lack of eating or blockage, I would look into some things. Make sure to monitor them, give them water, offer food(even if they dont eat it), let them have time outside of tank too.

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Thanks, we've spent some time outside since it's getting nicer, we've had rain for over a week and I wondered if the lack of sunshine was part of it. He's still active and pooping regularly. After a nice afternoon in the sun he was a little more excited about food. I will try thr pollen, I've never used that or honey previously but I'm open to anything. I rescued a dragon once that I ended up taking to a vet that gave me some "emergency" food and a syringe for feeding. I've ordered something like that to have on hand just in case. Much appreciate anyone checking in! Since we're still active I'm not feeling super worried yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks, we've spent some time outside since it's getting nicer, we've had rain for over a week and I wondered if the lack of sunshine was part of it. He's still active and pooping regularly. After a nice afternoon in the sun he was a little more excited about food. I will try thr pollen, I've never used that or honey previously but I'm open to anything. I rescued a dragon once that I ended up taking to a vet that gave me some "emergency" food and a syringe for feeding. I've ordered something like that to have on hand just in case. Much appreciate anyone checking in! Since we're still active I'm not feeling super worried yet.
Uvb and surface basking temps are the most important thing in the tank - if this is off he will stop eating - 5.5 month dragon should be eating like a horse.!

Jjurovaty

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Temps are good and lighting. I added more to see if that would help. The only thing that has made a difference is some outside time in natural sunlight! Today when I got home from work the food bowl was licked clean! This week we are expecting good weather and the outdoor screened tent has just arrived so hoping that will also help! Thanks all for checking in and adding suggestions. Still open to the honey or bee pollen, where or what should I buy?

Beardie name(s)
Blue
Temps are good and lighting. I added more to see if that would help. The only thing that has made a difference is some outside time in natural sunlight! Today when I got home from work the food bowl was licked clean! This week we are expecting good weather and the outdoor screened tent has just arrived so hoping that will also help! Thanks all for checking in and adding suggestions. Still open to the honey or bee pollen, where or what should I buy?
Amazon is a good option. You can also go to organic stores to get bee pollen. Just get it in powder form and sprinkle a little on the food.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom