15 month old female rescue

Alpineup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Betty
Hi all. I have a 15 month old female
Beardie that I recently rescued. Took her in for bloodwork up, all was great. Fecal showed pinworms and coccidia. We began treatment immediately. It’s been a month, second fecal came back coccidia free with a continued low count of pinworms. So, treating again for pinworms.
My current concern, is she is passing watery urate frequently. She is crazy active. Wild. Digging all over the place.

Eats her greens (mustard, kale, dandelion) loves her dubia roaches and silkworms.
She is in a 4x2x2 enclosure. A couple days ago I upgraded her to the new Dragon lamp by Arcadia at 14%. That’s honestly when she started having the frequent watery urate passing. Today I got paranoid and removed it and reinstalled the 12% uvb by Arcadia. The 14% was secured at the tip top of the enclosure 22” from “her”. I was worried maybe it was too intense for her even through it was well within the parameters.

I also gave her a little black cherry powder and some hornworms for hydration.

Tank temps: 100-105°f today cuz it’s very cold outside. Cool side 83-85°f.

Anyway. Could this be from the light? Is this a female about to lay eggs thing? I have experience with male
Beardies mostly. Any advice helps!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Beardie that I recently rescued. Took her in for bloodwork up, all was great. Fecal showed pinworms and coccidia. We began treatment immediately. It’s been a month, second fecal came back coccidia free with a continued low count of pinworms. So, treating again for pinworms.
My current concern, is she is passing watery urate frequently. She is crazy active. Wild. Digging all over the place.

Eats her greens (mustard, kale, dandelion) loves her dubia roaches and silkworms.
She is in a 4x2x2 enclosure. A couple days ago I upgraded her to the new Dragon lamp by Arcadia at 14%. That’s honestly when she started having the frequent watery urate passing. Today I got paranoid and removed it and reinstalled the 12% uvb by Arcadia. The 14% was secured at the tip top of the enclosure 22” from “her”. I was worried maybe it was too intense for her even through it was well within the parameters.

Anyway. Could this be from the light? Is this a female about to lay eggs thing? I have experience with male
I would get a lay box and see if she is w/ eggs- 12% bulb should be in the tank directly above the basking decor

Alpineup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Betty
I would get a lay box and see if she is w/ eggs- 12% bulb should be in the tank directly above the basking decor
I have a lay box :) just put it together the other day in an emergency I got coco fiber but I have soil coming from Amazon that has no fertilizer or anything. The 12% bulb IS exactly above the basking platform. Have you experienced female beardies passing frequent watery urate prior to laying?

Hi! I’m scrolling on here looking for answers that
I have about my female being gravid and saw your post. Definitely sounds like she is too! The glass surfing, the digging, increased and watery poops. That’s a lot of the signs that I’ve been reading about gravid females display.
Like you I have most my experience with my male. I’ve had my male, Gary, for about 3 yrs now, he’s a rescue and is around 4 yrs old.
I’ve only had my female, Gwen, for about 3 months. She’s also a rescue and is around 3 yrs old.
This is the first time since I’ve had her she’s acted like she has eggs to lay. So I’m new and inexperienced to this process. But here’s what I’ve learned so far.

From what I’ve been reading you should look into how to set up a “egg laying” box for her and get one going as soon as possible. There’s ones you can make that go directly into her enclosure. Or there are ones you make that are in containers outside the enclosure that you will put her in.YouTube had good instructional videos!
You should also start reading about diet and hydration during this time for her. Their nutritional needs are different when gravid, and after she lays the eggs too.
To be honest, there’s so much information on the Internet it can be confusing. You just have to read through it and make your decisions on what to do for your female based on what makes sense to you and is best for her.
My last piece of advice is if she doesn’t lay eggs in the reasonable amount of time that a female bearded dragon need to do so, then you need to immediately get her to a vet. She can become “egg bound” and when left untreated she can die. Sorry not to sound dramatic but that’s what I’ve learned!
I hope my info is accurate, again I’m new at caring for a gravid female, and helpful!

Alpineup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Betty
Hi! I’m scrolling on here looking for answers that
I have about my female being gravid and saw your post. Definitely sounds like she is too! The glass surfing, the digging, increased and watery poops. That’s a lot of the signs that I’ve been reading about gravid females display.
Like you I have most my experience with my male. I’ve had my male, Gary, for about 3 yrs now, he’s a rescue and is around 4 yrs old.
I’ve only had my female, Gwen, for about 3 months. She’s also a rescue and is around 3 yrs old.
This is the first time since I’ve had her she’s acted like she has eggs to lay. So I’m new and inexperienced to this process. But here’s what I’ve learned so far.

From what I’ve been reading you should look into how to set up a “egg laying” box for her and get one going as soon as possible. There’s ones you can make that go directly into her enclosure. Or there are ones you make that are in containers outside the enclosure that you will put her in.YouTube had good instructional videos!
You should also start reading about diet and hydration during this time for her. Their nutritional needs are different when gravid, and after she lays the eggs too.
To be honest, there’s so much information on the Internet it can be confusing. You just have to read through it and make your decisions on what to do for your female based on what makes sense to you and is best for her.
My last piece of advice is if she doesn’t lay eggs in the reasonable amount of time that a female bearded dragon need to do so, then you need to immediately get her to a vet. She can become “egg bound” and when left untreated she can die. Sorry not to sound dramatic but that’s what I’ve learned!
I hope my info is accurate, again I’m new at caring for a gravid female, and helpful!
Thanks so much for the reply. Honestly I’m relieved that you are experiencing similar symptoms. The biggest worry I had was the watery poos as they can hydrate easily and I’ve had a couple older beardies that passed from
Kidney/liver problems in the past and I am not paranoid about all that. We do have. Makeshift lay box going but I have other supplies coming in the mail! good luck 👍🏻

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My female stopped eating two to three weeks maybe a bit longer before laying. She also stopped pooping. The last 2 1/2 she was crazy active. She would not set still for more than a minute or two. She didn't start digging until the day before she clutched. This was her 3rd clutch so I knew what to expect. I gave her the dig box in the evening, she laid early the next morning.
As fas as I know they prepare to lay much the same as they prepare for brumation. They go off food and empty their systems.
If your beardies are gravid it's as much important to be ready for the after care as it is to be ready for the laying. They will be famished, they also will be depleted of calcium. Give calcium every single day for the first week to two weeks. I give multivitamins 3 to 4 times per week for the first 2 weeks after.
Also stay on top of hydration, they will likely be slightly dehydrated after also.
To answer your question about watery poops. It can be caused by a multitude of things: to many hornworms, overly wet greens, parasites, over hydrating orally, ect. To be honest I prefer my dragons to have slightly watery poop as compared to hard, chalky urates. (A sign of dehydration)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It can be hard to determine whether or not she is gravid but if she is digging & very active but not eating
much then it is a high possibility she may have eggs. They oftentimes excrete numerous watery & or
off colored urates if they are gravid, due to hormonal changes.
Go ahead & finish getting the laybox done when you get the soil in. Just keep it wet/moist but not to the
point of dripping, etc. Just damp to where she can dig & burrow to the point of it holding up but not falling
in on her. She will dig it pretty deep then likely bury them.
As mentioned, calcium is important for her if she does have eggs, it really drains them.
The Arcadia D 12% T5 tube is great. I doubt the 14% light affected her like that but at least now you have
a good light as back up if needed.

Tracie

Alpineup

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Betty
My female stopped eating two to three weeks maybe a bit longer before laying. She also stopped pooping. The last 2 1/2 she was crazy active. She would not set still for more than a minute or two. She didn't start digging until the day before she clutched. This was her 3rd clutch so I knew what to expect. I gave her the dig box in the evening, she laid early the next morning.
As fas as I know they prepare to lay much the same as they prepare for brumation. They go off food and empty their systems.
If your beardies are gravid it's as much important to be ready for the after care as it is to be ready for the laying. They will be famished, they also will be depleted of calcium. Give calcium every single day for the first week to two weeks. I give multivitamins 3 to 4 times per week for the first 2 weeks after.
Also stay on top of hydration, they will likely be slightly dehydrated after also.
To answer your question about watery poops. It can be caused by a multitude of things: to many hornworms, overly wet greens, parasites, over hydrating orally, ect. To be honest I prefer my dragons to have slightly watery poop as compared to hard, chalky urates. (A sign of dehydration)
Thanks! I have calcium, multivitamins, tons of leafy greens etc. I have 3 totally dragons so plenty of stuff to go around. But yeah, this is my first female. She has been busy all day, digging like wild. For 10 hours. I feel nothing in her abdomen but that doesn’t mean anything from what I’ve read. I do see some lumps but they are soft and just feel like fatty deposits. I adopted her last month and she is on the overweight side, but obviously plenty active 😅 the last two days she hasn’t been eating as much but she is still definitely eating. She is a voracious eater. I hope the poops are related to this. She’s been on parasite meds for over a month now and that’s rough on their systems. It’s weird cuz the poops are new. New this week.

Side note: I also have offered some NutriBac to help her body feel better after the meds.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oxbow critical care is good also, it can be found on amazon. They offer 3 varieties, herbivore, carnivore and omnivore.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

Hi there, I just wanted to mention a couple of things. First, it may be all the meds. causing runny stools so if her levels of pinworms were low it's O.K to let it be.
As for beardie behavior before laying, they can all vary but most do eat right up until the last 2 -3 days before laying or even the day before, that is more the norm for most beardies.
If she has a good diet, which it sounds like, don't use too much vitamin powder because she will get a lot of nutrition from her food. Extra calcium is good but don't use the cal w/D3 except maybe once a week. It sounds like she is close to laying [ probably ] and you very often won't feel infertile eggs , especially if they are "deflated" rather than round and full.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom