New to this and lots of questions

Jordyy

Beardie name(s)
Clawdia
Hi I have posted here as i have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could spare some time to chat to me about our new bearded dragon clawdia.
Could someone have a look at her set up and let me know if there's anything you see that could be stressing her out.

Backstory, we got surrendered her to our store with a 4x2x2 enclosure. She came with a hide a log a broken thermostat and a uvb that was not strong enough and didn't work. The person who originally owned her passed away and the daughter didn't know what she was doing with care so reached out to us. We had most things on hand but we are unfamiliar with reptiles. We had a few days to research and prepare and as soon as we got her we changed out broken bulbs and fixed new ones in the right place. Removed all dirty substrate and cleaned everything up. We've since carried on improving in ways of enrichment and would hope she'd be a lot happier with her new set up. She didn't have a working heat lamp when we were sent photos and received her. So unsure how long she was without. She came with a clip on light with a basking bulb but we have since noticed that wasn't being used or in the enclosure when the photo was taken and sent to us originally.

She is seeming more unhappy by the day, she's been with us around a month and seems unhappy. She's glass surfing constantly almost all day. Seems like she wants to come out and crawls out onto us but seems upset when she's out.
She also keeps opening her mouth as if she's gasping to regulate but when she's come out of the enclosure or when we go in there. So a range of situations but all only involving us being around so we are wondering if this is some kind of sign she could be upset but can't find anything suggesting that.
She also closes her eyes at us a lot when she does crawl out and we are just wondering does this mean anything in conjunction with anything I've mentioned as I've seen it being possible to be good or bad.
We are so unsure about her behavior and hope she isn't as upset as she seems.
She is 3 years old and we haven't had a lot of information on what she's like and her personality so unsure if this is "normal behavior" for her.

She is definitely female,
On habistat bearded dragon bedding,
Arcadia 15 12% uvb
Arcadia 100w basking bulb mounted inside,
Using digital thermometers and temp gun.
She is being offered different veg but only eating a bit, she loves bugs!

Will include a a before and after below. We did go through a period of using kitchen towel to monitor her but have moved back on to loose substrate.

Before
IMG-20230716-WA0003.jpg

After
20230716_171143.jpg

20230716_171147.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi I have posted here as i have a few questions and was wondering if anyone could spare some time to chat to me about our new bearded dragon clawdia.
Could someone have a look at her set up and let me know if there's anything you see that could be stressing her out.

Backstory, we got surrendered her to our store with a 4x2x2 enclosure. She came with a hide a log a broken thermostat and a uvb that was not strong enough and didn't work. The person who originally owned her passed away and the daughter didn't know what she was doing with care so reached out to us. We had most things on hand but we are unfamiliar with reptiles. We had a few days to research and prepare and as soon as we got her we changed out broken bulbs and fixed new ones in the right place. Removed all dirty substrate and cleaned everything up. We've since carried on improving in ways of enrichment and would hope she'd be a lot happier with her new set up. She didn't have a working heat lamp when we were sent photos and received her. So unsure how long she was without. She came with a clip on light with a basking bulb but we have since noticed that wasn't being used or in the enclosure when the photo was taken and sent to us originally.

She is seeming more unhappy by the day, she's been with us around a month and seems unhappy. She's glass surfing constantly almost all day. Seems like she wants to come out and crawls out onto us but seems upset when she's out.
She also keeps opening her mouth as if she's gasping to regulate but when she's come out of the enclosure or when we go in there. So a range of situations but all only involving us being around so we are wondering if this is some kind of sign she could be upset but can't find anything suggesting that.
She also closes her eyes at us a lot when she does crawl out and we are just wondering does this mean anything in conjunction with anything I've mentioned as I've seen it being possible to be good or bad.
We are so unsure about her behavior and hope she isn't as upset as she seems.
She is 3 years old and we haven't had a lot of information on what she's like and her personality so unsure if this is "normal behavior" for her.

She is definitely female,
On habistat bearded dragon bedding,
Arcadia 15 12% uvb
Arcadia 100w basking bulb mounted inside,
Using digital thermometers and temp gun.
She is being offered different veg but only eating a bit, she loves bugs!

Will include a a before and after below. We did go through a period of using kitchen towel to monitor her but have moved back on to loose substrate.

Before
View attachment 82204

After
View attachment 82205
View attachment 82206
You have two digital probe thermometers you said you were using them but I dont see them - place one on the surface of the basking rock 10-15 min get the temp it should read 95-100 -- I would get rid of the sand substrate its up to you but more sanitary is textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- easier to clean --- paper towels and mix of 50/50 vinegar / water -- if shes constantly glass surfing and digging she may be gravid -- is she in a place w/ activity --- dragons are a social creature and like activity -- is she sporting stress marks in the tank and out of the tank -- seems upset? any black bearding going on? What kind of insects are you feeding her? I would get a 24 watt bulb 12% --- the UVB is good set up w/ a distance of 12-15 inches inside the tank -- the gaping is her adjusting her body temp which is good -- she could be missing her owner --- it is hard on animals when they are used to be caring by someone and then have them disappear out of their lives --- hopefully she will adjust I would give her attention and love and see what happens -

Jordyy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clawdia
Hi thank you so much for your reply!

We have two digital thermometers in there they keep knocking over they have a digital display on a clear screen they are not probes but we can change them if they are no good. We have tested the basking spot with a temperature gun and it reads 37°c when the doors are closed for a while.
26°c cool side and 28°c warm side.

We will take the substrate back out, we have been back and forth and wanted to see if having the substrate back would help her adjust more but it's not helped.

She is in a place with activity and is offered to come out when she seems to want to. But unsure if she's actually happy when she's out.

She had stress marks on her tummy for the first week but they have gone now. She has shown black beard 2 or 3 times while she's been out but not while inside her enclosure.

She is eating a mix of hoppers Dubia roaches and Crickets with wax worms on occasion. And greens daily.

We have used the 24w Arcadia t5 12% uvb bulb

She really doesn't seem happy either inside or outside of her enclosure and I hope she settles in soon.

Thank you very much for your reply I will change what's been suggested tomorrow!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi thank you so much for your reply!

We have two digital thermometers in there they keep knocking over they have a digital display on a clear screen they are not probes but we can change them if they are no good. We have tested the basking spot with a temperature gun and it reads 37°c when the doors are closed for a while.
26°c cool side and 28°c warm side.

We will take the substrate back out, we have been back and forth and wanted to see if having the substrate back would help her adjust more but it's not helped.

She is in a place with activity and is offered to come out when she seems to want to. But unsure if she's actually happy when she's out.

She had stress marks on her tummy for the first week but they have gone now. She has shown black beard 2 or 3 times while she's been out but not while inside her enclosure.

She is eating a mix of hoppers Dubia roaches and Crickets with wax worms on occasion. And greens daily.

We have used the 24w Arcadia t5 12% uvb bulb

She really doesn't seem happy either inside or outside of her enclosure and I hope she settles in soon.

Thank you very much for your reply I will change what's been suggested tomorrow!
82 is too cool for warm side you want 90's F for warm side -- ambient temp -- please get two digital probe thermometers Zoo Med makes them -- your getting ambient temps w/ the gauge your using now -- I would leave her in the tank if shes getting a black beard out of the tank - let her adjust longer - if there are animals in the home cats dogs that could be upsetting her out of the tank --

Jordyy

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Clawdia
Thank you I'll get the probe thermometers! We will try going up to the 150w heat lamp and use a thermostat to change the temperature.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
We look forward to seeing the changes, she will turn around and be very pleased.
Good luck and we are so happy that you are here caring for your dragon!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom