what vitamins do the dragons need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many vitamins do the BD's need i have the calcium d3 by Fluckers. Do the need any others? My BD is about 5 1/2 inches to 6 1/2. I'll measure it tomorrow, its asleep right now :)

Embee

Gray-bearded Member

CEHSTJ

Hello!

A quick question - what type of lighting are you using? If you are using the ReptiSun 10 then Flukers' Calcium with D3 is correct, but if you are using a Mercury Vapour Bulb, such as the Mega-Ray, then you really need to purchase calcium WITHOUT D3 as the UV rays from the Mercury Vapour Bulb allows the dragon to create its' own D3 and too much is not a good thing. Calcium needs to be dusted (on prey or vegetables if needed) 5 times a week (one feeding per day) for a baby and I cannot remember how much is required for a juvie or an adult (perhaps someone who knows will answer this for you).

Also, bearded dragons need a multi vitamin such as Repcal Herptivite. For babies it is dusted twice a week ( on prey or vegetables if necessary). Once again I am not sure of the correct amount needed for adults or juvie beardies (HELP - someone, please)!

If you were able to indicate the type of lighting used then you will get the answer that will keep your dragon healthy and happy!

Best wishes!

Cheryl

P.S. I just reread your posting and realised that you do indeed have a baby bearded dragon. You will at least get the answers you need for now and when the dragon grows.

beardieguy83

Original Poster
Im using Reptisun 10.0 18" for the uvb and a Sunglo 100w for the basking light. I dont think the Basking light is a mercury bulb. I dust his/her morning feeding of 10 crickets and some greens sprayed with water, in the afternoon i just give him/her another 10 crickets just like that with no suplements. If he/she is still hugry I'll give him/her 3 more crickets at a time until he/she's happy and full.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
beardieguy83":83220 said:
Im using Reptisun 10.0 18" for the uvb and a Sunglo 100w for the basking light. I dont think the Basking light is a mercury bulb. I dust his/her morning feeding of 10 crickets and some greens sprayed with water, in the afternoon i just give him/her another 10 crickets just like that with no suplements. If he/she is still hugry I'll give him/her 3 more crickets at a time until he/she's happy and full.

Indeed, the SunGlo is basking bulb only, so calcium with D3 is fine. :)

One thing I'd like to mention however is the amount of food. For babies and juveniles (up to 1 - 1 1/2 years), the rule is this: feed live feeders 2-3 times per day, as many as beardie will eat in 10-15 minutes. Babies need TONS of protein, and most will consume up to 50-100 feeders a day. As well they should... they have lots of growing to do! :mrgreen:

Variety is also a good thing to keep in mind. Most babies do very well with a combination of staples such as crickets and phoenix worms http://www.phoenixworms.com.

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshG88
Top Bottom