Bearded dragon breathing from mouth, what to do?

Lelu01_

Hello, I posted a few months ago about my bearded dragon Suzi Q. She has been doing a lot better until recently around Halloween. She’s been going through shed and only one nose plug came out. The other isn’t and she’s now breathing from her mouth and makes a noise with her lips. Her beard appears bigger when she does this. This week she hasn’t been able to open her eyes. The last two weeks because of the breathing issues she hasn’t been eating. I took her to my usual exotic vet around this time and he’s suppose to collect any notes that the last vet took and so far he thinks she needs her husbandry corrected and proper dosage of Calcium. I mentioned the breathing but he didn’t see any signs of respiratory and he agrees it must have something to do with her nose plug but he didn’t think it was ready to pluck. She’s suppose to be seen again in about two weeks and I don’t know what to do about her condition right now. I have been soaking her and giving her 6 drops twice a week of flukers vitamins because he thinks she’s not getting the vitamins she needs. He also wants me to get a temperature gun to watch the temps of her enclosure. Her basking side is 95 degrees Fahrenheit and her cool side is 70. Humidity ranges from 30 to 40%. I got rid of the mulch and I want to get rid of the big log and fake rock hide and put something smaller but enough for her to have somewhere to hide. I guess what I’m saying is can anyone reccomended me items to put in her enclosure? Also if there’s anything I can do about the nose plug? The vet is suppose to call me after thanksgiving to check on her and he said if her condition changes then to call. Also the watering plant I’m getting rid of. Also what tape is safe to tape down a thermometer because in the pic the one I have is popping up. I understand the enclosure isn’t great so I hope there isn’t any judgement I will make sure to continue to make it better with suggestions. Also she was tested for adenovirus four months ago and came back negative. I plan to get her tested again soon to make sure it isn’t dormant.

Attachments

• 96BFF4C0-4ECF-4D05-B6E5-7EE9B2E06EB8.jpeg
    96BFF4C0-4ECF-4D05-B6E5-7EE9B2E06EB8.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 23662711-E04D-4BB4-813A-BF2B40DDEE06.jpeg
    23662711-E04D-4BB4-813A-BF2B40DDEE06.jpeg
    207.3 KB · Views: 38

Hazelthebeardeddragon

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Hello, I posted a few months ago about my bearded dragon Suzi Q. She has been doing a lot better until recently around Halloween. She’s been going through shed and only one nose plug came out. The other isn’t and she’s now breathing from her mouth and makes a noise with her lips. Her beard appears bigger when she does this. This week she hasn’t been able to open her eyes. The last two weeks because of the breathing issues she hasn’t been eating. I took her to my usual exotic vet around this time and he’s suppose to collect any notes that the last vet took and so far he thinks she needs her husbandry corrected and proper dosage of Calcium. I mentioned the breathing but he didn’t see any signs of respiratory and he agrees it must have something to do with her nose plug but he didn’t think it was ready to pluck. She’s suppose to be seen again in about two weeks and I don’t know what to do about her condition right now. I have been soaking her and giving her 6 drops twice a week of flukers vitamins because he thinks she’s not getting the vitamins she needs. He also wants me to get a temperature gun to watch the temps of her enclosure. Her basking side is 95 degrees Fahrenheit and her cool side is 70. Humidity ranges from 30 to 40%. I got rid of the mulch and I want to get rid of the big log and fake rock hide and put something smaller but enough for her to have somewhere to hide. I guess what I’m saying is can anyone reccomended me items to put in her enclosure? Also if there’s anything I can do about the nose plug? The vet is suppose to call me after thanksgiving to check on her and he said if her condition changes then to call. Also the watering plant I’m getting rid of. Also what tape is safe to tape down a thermometer because in the pic the one I have is popping up. I understand the enclosure isn’t great so I hope there isn’t any judgement I will make sure to continue to make it better with suggestions. Also she was tested for adenovirus four months ago and came back negative. I plan to get her tested again soon to make sure it isn’t dormant.
is that a red light or is the glare from the curtains? What gallon tank is it? I doubt this is from the hides but I’d get like smaller ones that are big enough for her to fit in so that you can get more. I’d also put in more vines and decor. If that’s a water bowl you can remove it unless she drinks from it. Keep trying to get that nose plug to loosen up but don’t force it. How far away is the basking and UVB away from platform?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First we need to adjust the UVB if it needs to be adjusted --- your screen on the tank is a wide hole or a fine mesh type -- this is going to determine the placement and distance for the UVB --- you can use two sided tape for the digital probe thermometer- I dont leave mine on the basking spot all the time but take it and wrap it around the reader thats inside the tank - I use the two sided tape -- please increase the cool side to 80ish during the day --- she needs a bigger tank -- she is too big for the 40 gallon tank -- we can post websites for tanks for you if you want them-- the nose plug is annoying -- please mist her face to soften the plug and it will eventually come out --

Lelu01_

Original Poster
First we need to adjust the UVB if it needs to be adjusted --- your screen on the tank is a wide hole or a fine mesh type -- this is going to determine the placement and distance for the UVB --- you can use two sided tape for the digital probe thermometer- I dont leave mine on the basking spot all the time but take it and wrap it around the reader thats inside the tank - I use the two sided tape -- please increase the cool side to 80ish during the day --- she needs a bigger tank -- she is too big for the 40 gallon tank -- we can post websites for tanks for you if you want them-- the nose plug is annoying -- please mist her face to soften the plug and it will eventually come out --
Yes I do plan on getting her a bigger enclosure. I upgraded her old lights to a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO UVB and an Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot lamp 100-w bulb. I also have a heat gun coming in the mail tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I do plan on getting her a bigger enclosure. I upgraded her old lights to a ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 T5 HO UVB and an Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot lamp 100-w bulb. I also have a heat gun coming in the mail tomorrow. Thank you for the advice!
The screen will block approx 30% of the uvb rays - placement and distance is imperative on the screen

Lelu01_

Original Poster
is that a red light or is the glare from the curtains? What gallon tank is it? I doubt this is from the hides but I’d get like smaller ones that are big enough for her to fit in so that you can get more. I’d also put in more vines and decor. If that’s a water bowl you can remove it unless she drinks from it. Keep trying to get that nose plug to loosen up but don’t force it. How far away is the basking and UVB away from platform?
It is a 40 gallon. She was given to me with the tank so I already know it’s too small and I plan to upgrade it. Yes that’s the curtains not the light. I have a Exo Terra intense 100 w bulb and. A ZooMed reprisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb. I did read I’m the forum to get some command hooks so should I hang the UVB inside? I’ll measure the distance of the UVB when I get home.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is a 40 gallon. She was given to me with the tank so I already know it’s too small and I plan to upgrade it. Yes that’s the curtains not the light. I have a Exo Terra intense 100 w bulb and. A ZooMed reprisun T5 HO 10.0 UVB bulb. I did read I’m the forum to get some command hooks so should I hang the UVB inside? I’ll measure the distance of the UVB when I get home.
You can use the command hooks or picture wire hangers - they are bendable -

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom