Megaray Watt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
the lowest wattage megaray that you can get is 100w for a standalone bulb. There are megarays that produce light and uvb with minimal heat which come in 60w but that comes with an additional ballast. Some people use them because they have smaller tanks. I have 3 4x4x3 tanks in which i use 100w mega in each. The reptileuv.com site will explain what i just said a lot better than i can put it haha

Todd

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
A mega should be placed 12 inches above the basking spot for optimal rays. Keep in mind the basking rock or log that you use. I would say it is possible only because you mention that you have a 4 foot length. This will give optimal regions for cooling down and a warm zone in the middle. Good luck

Callahan9119

Hatchling Member
I'm about to die, I have a 20 gallon long (he is a baby, 6 weeks) and just ordered that mega, this is my 4th light as everything I buy I found out is going to kill my lizard, now this...

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
Unfortunately, a 20 gallon long doesn't really give the correct gradient because the megas get pretty hot. They are most often suggested for larger tanks with more floor space so the temperatures can spread out. Lizards are cold blooded therefore need to have that cool down area. I have used a 100w mega in a 20 gallon long before but with no top and elevated quite a bit. I was in a bind and thats all the uvb i had at the time. Temps were close and i was able to achieve a cool down area. My suggestion is to use a REPTISUN 10.0 TUBE bulb. A regular house bulb can be added with this tube in another dome to achieve the temps you want. The reptisun does not give off heat which is why you need the extra white bulb as well as offsetting the uvb. I hope this helps...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
mckyle9423":6a8bc said:
So would a 100w be too much for a... let's see, maybe 2hx4wx2d viv?
A 100 watt SB Megaray should be good in that size tank. You need to make sure that it is at least 12" from your beardie while he is basking. Even at 18" away, it will still be producing a good amount of UV rays, so being able to adjust the distance according to the temps is what you need to keep in mind.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
mckyle9423":a605e said:
So would a 100w be too much for a... let's see, maybe 2hx4wx2d viv?

NO, I'm using a Megaray 160W and a 150W regular bulb.. From 2 feet high enclosure, In order to get around 100F. Although these readings were from about 18 Inches away from the bulb. That is quite a bit of room for the heat to cool off but still.. 100 Wont be too much.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
To the OP. Get with me on building a larger viv.. or try Craig's list for a cheap large enclosure you can use the mega with.
Also to everyone, you need to burn in the MVBs 4 days before using over a reptile. These 4 days allow excess gasses during production to burn off. You will see normal temps day 1. By day 2-3 high temps have been recorded. By day 4 everything is settled down, you can safely use the bulb. Place it during the burn in period away from human/reptile eyes, as this can irritate them.
Also be aware that you will need a fixture that will allow at least 250*F in temps. If you use a lesser temp fixture, the MVB will constantly turn off as the fixture will get too hot. So be aware of that as well.

Janie.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
kevindeeley12":90819 said:
NO, I'm using a Megaray 160W and a 150W regular bulb.. From 2 feet high enclosure, In order to get around 100F. Although these readings were from about 18 Inches away from the bulb. That is quite a bit of room for the heat to cool off but still.. 100 Wont be too much.

Wow! kevindeeley...what size is Primo's enclosure? It must be pretty big.....that is alot of wattage :shock:

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Well like I said, those readings were from 18 Inches away from the lights. Its a 50X30X24 inches enclosure, around a 130 gallon. I have a thread on it = Board index < Bearded Dragon Discussions < Enclosures < Primo's New Improved Enclosure. Check it out! :p

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Kevin, that new setup looks great. Are you using an infrared temp gun or digital with probe to check the temps?

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Im actually using 2 different kinds just to make sure both are reading the same temps. I am using a Digital thermometer with a probe, and also using a thermometer/hygrometer 2-in-1 made by Flukers i believe, both are reading the same temps.

Before i had this new enclosure i was just using the thermometer with probe, now im using both if that was confusing :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom