Question about probe thermometer and basking bulb

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in a while... but anyway, I've been looking to buy a new probe thermometer for Herman's enclosure and I was wondering if I need to buy two. For context, I already have two digital thermometers but they are not probes so they do not tell me the surface temps. I am for sure going to buy one for the basking spot, but do I need to buy a second one for the cool side, or is the one that I have okay?

Additionally for placement, must it be kept in the basking spot? Because he tends to sit on any thermometer I try to put there and it messes with the readings.

Also regarding basking bulbs, I am currently using the Zoo Med 75 watt basking bulb. I noticed the one I had wasn't getting hot enough, so I switched it out with a new one but the temp is even lower than the first one. I want to get a new thermometer before I buy any new bulb to get the exact temps, but would 100w be a good wattage for a 40 gallon tank? Or would it be too hot? Especially during the first two weeks of having the new bulb because thats when it tends to get the hottest.

The rest of my questions have been answered from previous questions, so thank you to whoever asked the questions and to those that responded!!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yes thank you. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

His cool side sits at about 77F. Is that good? At night it can get down to 66 or so during the winter.

I plan on checking his temps when I get home from work tomorrow all around the enclosure, so we'll see if another bulb is truly needed but I don't think so.
That is all within the recommendations, so I would just watch how he is liking it. You will notice if he likes it warmer.
Personally I try to stay in the high 60s at night but my dragon doesn't seem to mind if it drops to the mid 60s at times.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I'm using the Exo Terra Intense Basking Spot and so far I really like the quality of the bulb and the spread of heat. Don't let the name fool you.. it's more of a flood than a spot which works perfect for a larger species like a BD..

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom