Question about probe thermometer and basking bulb

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in a while... but anyway, I've been looking to buy a new probe thermometer for Herman's enclosure and I was wondering if I need to buy two. For context, I already have two digital thermometers but they are not probes so they do not tell me the surface temps. I am for sure going to buy one for the basking spot, but do I need to buy a second one for the cool side, or is the one that I have okay?

Additionally for placement, must it be kept in the basking spot? Because he tends to sit on any thermometer I try to put there and it messes with the readings.

Also regarding basking bulbs, I am currently using the Zoo Med 75 watt basking bulb. I noticed the one I had wasn't getting hot enough, so I switched it out with a new one but the temp is even lower than the first one. I want to get a new thermometer before I buy any new bulb to get the exact temps, but would 100w be a good wattage for a 40 gallon tank? Or would it be too hot? Especially during the first two weeks of having the new bulb because thats when it tends to get the hottest.

The rest of my questions have been answered from previous questions, so thank you to whoever asked the questions and to those that responded!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone! I haven't been on this site in a while... but anyway, I've been looking to buy a new probe thermometer for Herman's enclosure and I was wondering if I need to buy two. For context, I already have two digital thermometers but they are not probes so they do not tell me the surface temps. I am for sure going to buy one for the basking spot, but do I need to buy a second one for the cool side, or is the one that I have okay?

Additionally for placement, must it be kept in the basking spot? Because he tends to sit on any thermometer I try to put there and it messes with the readings.

Also regarding basking bulbs, I am currently using the Zoo Med 75 watt basking bulb. I noticed the one I had wasn't getting hot enough, so I switched it out with a new one but the temp is even lower than the first one. I want to get a new thermometer before I buy any new bulb to get the exact temps, but would 100w be a good wattage for a 40 gallon tank? Or would it be too hot? Especially during the first two weeks of having the new bulb because thats when it tends to get the hottest.

The rest of my questions have been answered from previous questions, so thank you to whoever asked the questions and to those that responded!!
You do not need to keep the digital probe on his basking spot - place it every 2 weeks or so on the spot where he sits to get the surface basking temps- you can use two sided tape or a velcro strip to keep it on the side of the tank inside - get your temp and go from there w/ the wattage - you may need the 100 watt bulb

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
You do not need to keep the digital probe on his basking spot - place it every 2 weeks or so on the spot where he sits to get the surface basking temps- you can use two sided tape or a velcro strip to keep it on the side of the tank inside - get your temp and go from there w/ the wattage - you may need the 100 watt bulb
Thank you! And do I need to get one for the cool side of his tank as well, or is the regular digital one (w/o a probe) that I have good enough?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
One is fine, you can move them around to measure the spot you want. You don't need to leave them in the tank 24/7 because your temperatures really shouldn't be changing anyways unless their are sudden and drastic temperature changes in your house.

-Brandon

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Btw 40 GAL is really small for an adult bearded dragon and you should consider upgrading your tank.
The wattage depends first on the distance to the surface off the basking spot and second on the air temperature in the tank. Off course the later will depend on its size.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Thank you for your replies and answers.
Do I need to buy one that has a probe to read the humidity as well? Again I have two digital thermometers/hydrometers without probes that I can use.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Update:
The thermometer arrived Thursday night and installed Friday morning after his lights turned on, and temps were great, his basking spot was around 105 degrees. However we had some snow today and his enclosure is kept near a window. Last year in the winter if the temps were supposed to dip below 30F, then I would switch on the CHE when I went to sleep (about 2 hours after his lights turn off) and turn it off before I had to leave in the morning (about an hour before the lights turned on). However now his lights are on (they turn off in an hour and 15 min) and with the probe in his basking spot the thermometer is reading 87.8. He is sitting near his basking spot but he did not eat anything today (Saturday is the day he only gets greens, and he doesn't prefer them and rarely eats them unless I can get them in there when he's eating his bugs, so he didn't eat anything today).
I know I'm rambling, but basically my question is, should I turn on his CHE now, even though his lights are on? Does the drop in temp mean the wattage of the bulb isn't high enough and I should purchase a 100 watt, or is it because of the cold temps outside?
Please advise soon. I don't want him to be in improper temps for too long. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Update:
The thermometer arrived Thursday night and installed Friday morning after his lights turned on, and temps were great, his basking spot was around 105 degrees. However we had some snow today and his enclosure is kept near a window. Last year in the winter if the temps were supposed to dip below 30F, then I would switch on the CHE when I went to sleep (about 2 hours after his lights turn off) and turn it off before I had to leave in the morning (about an hour before the lights turned on). However now his lights are on (they turn off in an hour and 15 min) and with the probe in his basking spot the thermometer is reading 87.8. He is sitting near his basking spot but he did not eat anything today (Saturday is the day he only gets greens, and he doesn't prefer them and rarely eats them unless I can get them in there when he's eating his bugs, so he didn't eat anything today).
I know I'm rambling, but basically my question is, should I turn on his CHE now, even though his lights are on? Does the drop in temp mean the wattage of the bulb isn't high enough and I should purchase a 100 watt, or is it because of the cold temps outside?
Please advise soon. I don't want him to be in improper temps for too long. Thank you!
You want ambient temps at night 65-75--- he will sleep where he is most comfortable - temps during the day hot side 95-100 -- middle of the tank around 90's --

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
Thank you. I moved the probe around a bit, the hottest spot gets up to 105F. Is that too hot?
The reason temps were cooler was because the probe wasn't in the hottest spot on his rock, I made a mistake. Sometimes the dome where the bulb is gets shifted during the day, especially when my younger siblings are home from school like on the weekends, but he moves to whichever spot he feels comfortable in. He's very good at regulating his own temps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. I moved the probe around a bit, the hottest spot gets up to 105F. Is that too hot?
The reason temps were cooler was because the probe wasn't in the hottest spot on his rock, I made a mistake. Sometimes the dome where the bulb is gets shifted during the day, especially when my younger siblings are home from school like on the weekends, but he moves to whichever spot he feels comfortable in. He's very good at regulating his own temps.
If he isn't sitting in that spot it maybe too hot - watch his behavior he will tell you

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
If he isn't sitting in that spot it maybe too hot - watch his behavior he will tell you
Yes I keep a close eye on him. How would he let me know? He does sometimes sit in that spot but he moves when doesn't want to be there. Plus I rarely see him gaping.
When you say that his behavior will tell me, what did you mean?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I keep a close eye on him. How would he let me know? He does sometimes sit in that spot but he moves when doesn't want to be there. Plus I rarely see him gaping.
When you say that his behavior will tell me, what did you mean?
Time spent under the bulb at that temp - sitting off to the side of the basking spot-

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
This time of the year he might not even want to bask that much anyway even if the temps would normaly be right.

Also keep an eye on the cool side if the tank is close to a window. You don't want the basking spot at 105 and the cool side at 60 ;)

I wouldn't see use a CHE during the day, rather get another bulb for aditional heating. Bearded dragons like lots of illuminance so a CHE doesn't make any sense at daytime.

HyperLollipop

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Herman
This time of the year he might not even want to bask that much anyway even if the temps would normaly be right.

Also keep an eye on the cool side if the tank is close to a window. You don't want the basking spot at 105 and the cool side at 60 ;)

I wouldn't see use a CHE during the day, rather get another bulb for aditional heating. Bearded dragons like lots of illuminance so a CHE doesn't make any sense at daytime.
Yes thank you. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

His cool side sits at about 77F. Is that good? At night it can get down to 66 or so during the winter.

I plan on checking his temps when I get home from work tomorrow all around the enclosure, so we'll see if another bulb is truly needed but I don't think so.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom