New Owner, basking light help??

zonkey

Hi all,
I have a 50 gal (36 x 18 x 18) tank, and will be getting a baby beardie here soon this month. However, i am really struggling to figure out what basking/heat light(s) to get. I've just read a lot of different thoughts on the wattage, for example. I'm not sure what to do. I am thinking perhaps a 100w for the basking spot, and a bonus light at a lower wattage at the other end of the cage. What do you guys think?? I just feel clueless and want to get the right things to make sure my future beardie is healthy.
Thank you guys.
EDIT: Also, a ceramic heater-- if I am understanding correctly this is what you get for heating at night? Please correct me if I am wrong. During the day I have the heater on, and it's a comfortable temp. But at night I turn all of the heaters off. Doesn't get freezing, but can get cold for sure especially when the temp drops outside.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,
I have a 50 gal (36 x 18 x 18) tank, and will be getting a baby beardie here soon this month. However, i am really struggling to figure out what basking/heat light(s) to get. I've just read a lot of different thoughts on the wattage, for example. I'm not sure what to do. I am thinking perhaps a 100w for the basking spot, and a bonus light at a lower wattage at the other end of the cage. What do you guys think?? I just feel clueless and want to get the right things to make sure my future beardie is healthy.
Thank you guys.
EDIT: Also, a ceramic heater-- if I am understanding correctly this is what you get for heating at night? Please correct me if I am wrong. During the day I have the heater on, and it's a comfortable temp. But at night I turn all of the heaters off. Doesn't get freezing, but can get cold for sure especially when the temp drops outside.
Basking bulbs are trial and error- you want a solid clear bright white bulb - examples are Arcadia Halogen - Flukers basking bulb or a Exo Terra Intense bulb - but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get the surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby -start w/ a 100 watt for the basking bulb and go from there-- the cool side of the tank should be 80ish-you can use a LED house hold bulb if you dont need the heat on the cool side or get a low watt bulb for that side if you need heat - you want it around 80 or so during the day -- ambient temps at night should be 65-75 - CHE's are good for keeping those temps at night - what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please

zonkey

Original Poster
Basking bulbs are trial and error- you want a solid clear bright white bulb - examples are Arcadia Halogen - Flukers basking bulb or a Exo Terra Intense bulb - but you MUST have a digital probe thermometer to get the surface basking temps 105-110 for a baby -start w/ a 100 watt for the basking bulb and go from there-- the cool side of the tank should be 80ish-you can use a LED house hold bulb if you dont need the heat on the cool side or get a low watt bulb for that side if you need heat - you want it around 80 or so during the day -- ambient temps at night should be 65-75 - CHE's are good for keeping those temps at night - what are you using for a UVB? NO coils please

Okay!! So get the 100watt, see How the heat does and either increase or decrease depending on what the thermometer says.

Would this be a good thermometer for checking the temp on all the sides? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-1120646

And what do you recommend for the ceramic heater? What kind to get a cooler temp for the night in my tank?

Thank you!!

*For the UVB I got the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO, 24 watt / 22 inch long.

zonkey

Original Poster
Sorry another question while I’m at it!
Would this work if I got a 150w bulb for it and just dimmed it accordingly using the thermo listed above ? https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-professional-series-dimmable/dp/345065

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Sorry another question while I’m at it!
Would this work if I got a 150w bulb for it and just dimmed it accordingly using the thermo listed above ? https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-professional-series-dimmable/dp/345065
This will work, but it is advisable to use the lamp at its standard wattage. Dimmer controls can reduce the power of the light, but this also affects the spectrum emitted by the lamp.
You can use a dimmer control for minor adjustments or for a ceramic heater. This is undoubtedly a useful device for a terrarium.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Thank you!!
Also wondering, would this be good for determining the temp on all parts of the tank? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-1120646
or is it preferable to get the temperature gun?
Yes, it will do. A temperature gun is also a good solution, but the accuracy of its measurements greatly depends on the surface material, so sometimes a gun can show an incorrect measurement result, for example, on the surface of a wicker hammock. To begin with, I would advise you to use the thermometer you found.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom