UVB lighting

moorelori1966

Beardie name(s)
Sammie
I just realized I have a 5.0 T5 HO (high output) 39 watt florescent tube UVB bulb in my 4x2x2 enclosure. I have it only 3/4 of the enclosure. Is this too high of a bulb? I am now worried to death I have the wrong one and have had the wrong one for over 9 months. Please advise. Thank you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just realized I have a 5.0 T5 HO (high output) 39 watt florescent tube UVB bulb in my 4x2x2 enclosure. I have it only 3/4 of the enclosure. Is this too high of a bulb? I am now worried to death I have the wrong one and have had the wrong one for over 9 months. Please advise. Thank you
Please swap the bulb out for a 10.0 T5 and have it directly over your basking decor approx 12-15 inches -- the 5.0 expired in 6 months of use --

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
Hi. Yes listen to KarrieRee and get a 10.0 bulb when you can, but don't worry you dragon will be ok.. at least he's been getting some UV.. better than none!!

3/4 of the enlcosure is ok.. I usually do about half, but as long as there is a place for it to get away from UVB- if it chooses to it's ok. In general what KarrieRee is recommending is good practice.. but keep in mind it's all about the distances from basking spot to bulb and weather or not you are shooting the light through a screen or not.. screen "dims" the light by up to 30%

Feel free to reference this irridiance chart to give you an idea of the output on both bulbs (10.0 and 5.0) what you want is a UV level of around 4 give or take at the highest point of the basking spot It's in CM so you have to convert to inches if you need. I add 5 cm to recommended distance to account for height of animal.

Based on this chart.. with the 10.0 bulb with no screen about 40cm to 50cm (or 16 to 19.5 inches)
With screen what KarrieRee is saying (12 to 15 inches) is probably about right

1706388539803.jpg

Just to compare here is your 5.0 bulb... to get the recommended 4.0 UV index he'd have to be about 4 inches from bulb!! WOW That said some is better than none!!
1706389592993.jpg

I posted this on another thread ,but might help show you how to position your lighting if not sure..
Don't meant to overload you with info.. but if it helps here are some diagrams I drew up with 3 lighting designs I have used based on the budget of the person I was working with..

This is the "cheapest and simplest" Call it "Stage 1" You have your T5 UVB bulb and basking lamp on one side in a dome. Put the dome flat on the screen and then the T5 UVB Lamp next to it. Find a way to prop up one side to angle the UVB to the center of the basking bulb. You want the two lights to combine at the basking spot.

View attachment 86814

Upgrading to Stage 2 If budget allows..

Get yourself a dual dome fixture OR you can use two separate domes.. just like above but now you are adding an LED spot... Since the UVB bulbs are really not that bright adding this LED really brightens up the basking spot. This stimulates your dragon to bask more readily. It also fills in some of the missing spectrum of sunlight that is missing from the other bulbs.. Think of how you feel going outside on an overcast day verses a bright sunny day.. Isn't the bright sunny day better? You feel more alive and awake? More light is better for your Dragon!

What's great is that these LED bulbs are super cheap!

View attachment 86815

I call this "Stage 3" I am runnng this setup on my "Project Dragon Lair" if you care to follow. This really ups the light levels.. Great if you care to do bioactive.. grow some plants etc.. or you just like an evenly lit enclosure... This is going to get the light levels up quite high ,but not even close to harmfull.. As always provide a hide on the cool and warm side so they can choose to get away from heat/ light if they choose.

View attachment 86817

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
@magicmagni Yes, but that chart for the 5.0 is assuming no reflector, so the comparison is slightly deceptive. Reflectors effectively double the output. A T5 5.0 HO will be similar in strength to a T8 10.0, a bulb this hobby has used for decades with huge success. IMO, T5's are much better bulbs than the older T8 bulbs, but it's not just because of their increased strength relative to their T8 counterparts.

A 5.0 T5 can be effectively used in the enclosure if it's housed in a fixture with reflector, and is around 6 inches unobstructed to the dragon while basking. Useful for smaller tanks, or for dragons with disabilities that have trouble climbing.

That being said, in a 4x2x2, a 10.0 or a 12/14% would be more appropriate. Since your bulb covers 3/4 of your enclosure, i'd opt for either the 10.0 reptisun or the 12% Arcadia.

the 5.0 expired in 6 months of use --
No it didn't. T5's last for at least a year. In my testing, significantly longer than a year. the 5.0/10.0/12%/14% has no bearing on it's life span, only the T5/T8.

-Brandon

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
@magicmagni Yes, but that chart for the 5.0 is assuming no reflector, so the comparison is slightly deceptive. Reflectors effectively double the output. A T5 5.0 HO will be similar in strength to a T8 10.0, a bulb this hobby has used for decades with huge success. IMO, T5's are much better bulbs than the older T8 bulbs, but it's not just because of their increased strength relative to their T8 counterparts.

A 5.0 T5 can be effectively used in the enclosure if it's housed in a fixture with reflector, and is around 6 inches unobstructed to the dragon while basking. Useful for smaller tanks, or for dragons with disabilities that have trouble climbing.

That being said, in a 4x2x2, a 10.0 or a 12/14% would be more appropriate. Since your bulb covers 3/4 of your enclosure, i'd opt for either the 10.0 reptisun or the 12% Arcadia.

No it didn't. T5's last for at least a year. In my testing, significantly longer than a year. the 5.0/10.0/12%/14% has no bearing on it's life span, only the T5/T8.

-Brandon
Good points..my mistake on no reflector didn't catch that.. just trying to show the difference.. but on equal lamps I'm sure there is a difference.. admittingly not as much though ,but still noteworthy.

I wish Solarmeter 6.5 was less expensive and more commonly used. Worth the investment if one can swing it for sure when settup up basking spots.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom