Basking temp

Katie92

Beardie name(s)
Valdora
I'm having a hard time evening out my dragons temps. His ambient temps are 90° hot and 80° cool but his basking stone is on the bottom of his tank and it's reading up to 120° in some spots. I currently am using the arcadia 100w PR38 on top of the screen. I've tried raising the bulb up a couple inches above the screen but then the ambient temps drop down into the high 70s low 80s and the basking stone will sit at around 110° would a lower watt bulb fix this or should I use something else for him to bask on, I currently have a 12x8 slate stone for his basking. Also we are trying to beat coccida right now so whatever I use for basking has to be easily sanitized.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I use a 75w basking bulb it could be the light. What's the size of the tank? How old is he?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm having a hard time evening out my dragons temps. His ambient temps are 90° hot and 80° cool but his basking stone is on the bottom of his tank and it's reading up to 120° in some spots. I currently am using the arcadia 100w PR38 on top of the screen. I've tried raising the bulb up a couple inches above the screen but then the ambient temps drop down into the high 70s low 80s and the basking stone will sit at around 110° would a lower watt bulb fix this or should I use something else for him to bask on, I currently have a 12x8 slate stone for his basking. Also we are trying to beat coccida right now so whatever I use for basking has to be easily sanitized.
Real stone tends to absorb and hold heat, but it's good maintenance for their nails. Maybe move the stone so that it isn't directly under the basking bulb, just off the the side a little. Still in the basking area just not directly under the center of the bulb.

Katie92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valdora
I use a 75w basking bulb it could be the light. What's the size of the tank? How old is he?
His tank is a
Right now he's in a 75 gallon tank. I'll be ordering him a zenhabitat (4x2x2) next weekend with my check. He is approx 4 months I believe. The guy didn't really know but judging on his size that's what I think (pics of size for guessing age, I forgot to ask how much he weighed at the vet)

Attachments

• 20240401_175548.jpg
    20240401_175548.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240405_140712.jpg
    20240405_140712.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 28

Katie92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valdora
Real stone tends to absorb and hold heat, but it's good maintenance for their nails. Maybe move the stone so that it isn't directly under the basking bulb, just off the the side a little. Still in the basking area just not directly under the center of the bulb.
I've tried moving it off to the side but then the stone drops to 80-90 which I don't think is enough for digestion right?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I've tried moving it off to the side but then the stone drops to 80-90 which I don't think is enough for digestion right?
Dragons don't warm from the bottom. You need to measure the temp of the light not the surface. You need a digital probe thermometer to be accurate. 120 degrees is to hot and will burn your beardie (for surface temp) but the light temp may not be that high. That's why we all recommend the digital probes.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible your IR gun isn't measuring your specific basking surface properly. IR guns need to be calibrated to the specific surface they are measuring in order to provide and accurate reading. Most guns come calibrated to handle a wide range of common materials from the factory, but some materials that would be common within the enclosure fall outside of this range, which means the IR gun will be providing an improper reading.

Getting a digital with probe end thermometer solves two issues. One, it will be accurate and give you a real measurement of the basking surface temperature, and two, it will show you whether or not your IR gun is reading your specific basking material properly.

Certain stones, especially granite, really throw IR thermometers off if they aren't calibrated to them. We've had cases here where the temp was reading 130+ with an IR gun, but the true temperature as measured with a digital with probe was 105ish. A huge difference that is easily explained by the science of how an IR gun works.

-Brandon

Katie92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Valdora
Gr
It's possible your IR gun isn't measuring your specific basking surface properly. IR guns need to be calibrated to the specific surface they are measuring in order to provide and accurate reading. Most guns come calibrated to handle a wide range of common materials from the factory, but some materials that would be common within the enclosure fall outside of this range, which means the IR gun will be providing an improper reading.

Getting a digital with probe end thermometer solves two issues. One, it will be accurate and give you a real measurement of the basking surface temperature, and two, it will show you whether or not your IR gun is reading your specific basking material properly.

Certain stones, especially granite, really throw IR thermometers off if they aren't calibrated to them. We've had cases here where the temp was reading 130+ with an IR gun, but the true temperature as measured with a digital with probe was 105ish. A huge difference that is easily explained by the science of how an IR gun works.

-Brandon
Great info! I'll go first thing tomorrow and grab a digital probe!

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
In the basking area of my tank there are also spots that get up to 120. My dragon only uses those sporadically but still he does.
Whether or not 120 is too hot depends on your individual dragon. And probably tank size, in a huge tank you/he can get away with/from the hot spots way better.
But yes, the meassurement has to be on point.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom