Basking Temp

muskiemagic

Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I have recently noticed that I am not maintaining a consistent basking temp throughtout the day. I am currently using a 100 watt Arcadia Halogen flood basking bulb set with a Herpstat 2 thermostat. I am trying to maintain a temp of 100-105 in basking area but have noticed once enclosure reaches and maintains 85 degree air temp which I have the thermostat set too the bulb is constantly dimming throughout the day keeping my basking area temp lower than I want. Once afternoon and evening arrive and temp in house starts to go down is when I can get my target basking temp only for a few hours until bulbs go off for the night. I have probe for thermostat attached to enclosure wall near basking site since I do not want it directly on basking decor where my beardie could lay on it. Any suggestions of what I can do to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I have a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure and all bulbs are installed inside.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have recently noticed that I am not maintaining a consistent basking temp throughtout the day. I am currently using a 100 watt Arcadia Halogen flood basking bulb set with a Herpstat 2 thermostat. I am trying to maintain a temp of 100-105 in basking area but have noticed once enclosure reaches and maintains 85 degree air temp which I have the thermostat set too the bulb is constantly dimming throughout the day keeping my basking area temp lower than I want. Once afternoon and evening arrive and temp in house starts to go down is when I can get my target basking temp only for a few hours until bulbs go off for the night. I have probe for thermostat attached to enclosure wall near basking site since I do not want it directly on basking decor where my beardie could lay on it. Any suggestions of what I can do to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I have a 4x2x2 PVC enclosure and all bulbs are installed inside.
Place the probe on the spot where he basks get temp then remove and place on side of tank - your getting ambient temps - you may need to go up to a 150 watt but you want a actual surface basking temp first - how old is the dragon? If hes over 6 months your shooting for surface basking temps of 95-100

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Place the probe on the spot where he basks get temp then remove and place on side of tank - your getting ambient temps - you may need to go up to a 150 watt but you want a actual surface basking temp first - how old is the dragon? If hes over 6 months your shooting for surface basking temps of 95-100
I have tried that and getting same results.Placed probe on decor until basking temp was targeted. Checked temp on thermostat at that time and set it for that. He is almost 15 years old. He recently had a vet appt for an eye issue and the vet told me to shoot for 100-105 when she was asking about details. I was shooting for 95 prior to that. Ive also noticed that when basking bulb turns on in the morning my basking temp is getting around 120-130 as it ramps up then gradually balances itself out. Should that be of concern ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have tried that and getting same results.Placed probe on decor until basking temp was targeted. Checked temp on thermostat at that time and set it for that. He is almost 15 years old. He recently had a vet appt for an eye issue and the vet told me to shoot for 100-105 when she was asking about details. I was shooting for 95 prior to that. Ive also noticed that when basking bulb turns on in the morning my basking temp is getting around 120-130 as it ramps up then gradually balances itself out. Should that be of concern ?
Yes that is way too hot- I would work on it manually instead of using the thermostat

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I wish you I could still buy regular household halogen bulbs. With those I had no problems at all maintaining basking temp. Was holding 95-100 all day without a thermostat

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Yes that is way too hot- I would work on it manually instead of using the thermostat
Without thermostat it gets way to hot. I really don't know what else to do. Ive even tried a 50 watt and 75 watt and still gets to hot not running with a thermostat

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Without thermostat it gets way to hot. I really don't know what else to do. Ive even tried a 50 watt and 75 watt and still gets to hot not running with a thermostat
Only thing I can think of is ditch the thermostat and go with a regular dimmer switch and timer. I was trying to avoid the instant on and off of the bulb that's why I went to a thermostat set to dimming.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I think the problem is the location of the thermostat sensor. The further it is located from the basking point, the slower the sensor heats up. Therefore, the heating point reaches 120, while the sensor is still cold due to the fact that it is too far away. I think you can increase the accuracy of the thermostat by placing the sensor as close to the basking zone as possible.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Nick is right. 100W is quite strong for a halogen bulb if you run it on 100%, which is what your thermostat will do until it reaches its target temp.
For the basking spot it is best to build it with a slope, so your dragon can choose how close it wants to be to the heat source.

Does your dragon bask when it gets in the 110s and above? What does he/she do when it gets below 95? Usually his/her behaviour will tell you what to do and if you need to change anything at all.

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
I think the problem is the location of the thermostat sensor. The further it is located from the basking point, the slower the sensor heats up. Therefore, the heating point reaches 120, while the sensor is still cold due to the fact that it is too far away. I think you can increase the accuracy of the thermostat by placing the sensor as close to the basking zone as possible.
was thinking that to but probe is about as close to basking spot as I can get it

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Nick is right. 100W is quite strong for a halogen bulb if you run it on 100%, which is what your thermostat will do until it reaches its target temp.
For the basking spot it is best to build it with a slope, so your dragon can choose how close it wants to be to the heat source.

Does your dragon bask when it gets in the 110s and above? What does he/she do when it gets below 95? Usually his/her behaviour will tell you what to do and if you need to change anything at all.
He has plenty of room to move closer and away from basking spot. TBH this guy really has never been fond of higher temps. Ive had him for almost 15 years and he really never has sat right under basking bulb even when I was able to maintain a consistant 95-100 basking temp. He seems to prefer a basking area of around 90-93 or so

muskiemagic

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Brindle and Bob
Ok I have been fine tuning my dimmer and basking bulb and have finally got my basking temp where I want it surface temp of 100. Now My question is about ambient air temps. My air temps are 90 on the hot end around basking site, 85 in middle of enclosure and 80 on the cool side. Are these temps ok for actual air temps ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I have been fine tuning my dimmer and basking bulb and have finally got my basking temp where I want it surface temp of 100. Now My question is about ambient air temps. My air temps are 90 on the hot end around basking site, 85 in middle of enclosure and 80 on the cool side. Are these temps ok for actual air temps ?
Yes

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom