IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

jbbadaz

Hatchling Member
I assume you are using a white light. I would heat from the top of the bin with a red (infrared) bulb. You get the heat, and the roaches think they are in the dark. Use plenty of egg crates. These will capture and distribute the heat. My temps are at 100+ on the very top layer, but at the bottom of the bin its only about 78. Place your water crystals under the egg flats, and directly under the light. This will create a humidity column. Feed them chows 24/7 and crystals. only use fruits and veggies 1 or 2 times a week.

Using this method, you will have medium sized Fully molted females pumping out babies.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Who me? No I never use any lights. Lights will slow the breeding process. Even nocturnal bulbs. They like and need night and day change. I have been breeding them forever and the way I do it they breed very well. And your method may work for you out their. Over here on the East coast things are a tad bit different. I don't like to have the water crystals near the egg creates due to mold or mildew growth. The humidity and temps vary in different ways. But yes they do have food and water available 24/7. :)

KTL1021

I know this is kinda off subject but can someone tell me if there's a reason for screen when I set up a bin or can I just drill a bunch of small holes in the top? (thought the drill holes would look a little better) Ive been keeping feeders in a plastic cricket keeper but trying to start a colony so I figured I'd set up a little bigger bin. What is the smallest bin I can get by with? I'm expecting one shipment of mixed today and a shipment of adults next week. Once I see how many I end up with I may order more if I need too. Just have to see. Thanks everyone

Trajega

Hatchling Member
The screen is better in that the holes are small enough that insects and gnats cant get in. Keep in mind you are creating a near perfect environment for more than 1 species of bug. Mine is certainly not setup to entertain any pest which feels like hopping in :)

jbbadaz

Hatchling Member
We use open air bins in a controlled room. 9 times out of 10 if you get gnats, you got way to much moisture. This comes from feeding fruits and veggies to much and using chows with super high fat content (ground up dog and cat foods). Control the moisture and you will be pest free inside your colony.

Also using cleaner crews in your Dubia colony will ensure you have no visitors. The derms will eat any eggs that may even think of being laid in your colony.

Fruits and veggies contain large amounts of water than end up in your egg crates and smelling sweet and inviting other bugs into your colony.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Hi Tristan, you are most welcome. I am just glad that this post is still helping people. I know some of the pictures are disgusting as some say but that is how we learn. If you have any questions along the way feel free to email or pm me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom