HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamelotte

Hatchling Member
It really depends on the vet. I paid $50 for a basic checkup for my bearded dragon; it invovled stuff like checking him for any deformities or injuries, making sure he had no deficiencies, making sure he was alert, checking the fat deposits, going over what he eats and his tank setup, and his age compared to his size. If you need to get x rays or a fecal done it could end up being more, though.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Is your UVB the Reptisun 10.0 TUBE? Also, as a baby/juvie he probably prefers a higher basking temp but more importantly he MUST have a minimum of 95 degrees to bask ON in order to digest his food properly.

Can I ask how you are checking the temps? What are you using? Temp gun? Digital with probe? Dial?

He should be (in my personal opinion) longer soaks and more frequently. I believe 15 minutes is a must for hydration, we always do 20 minutes and we give them daily.

If you can check these things out, we can help more. Those questions are important to your beardies health.

Edited to add: my beardie never liked temps over 102. At almost 8 months he still doesn't like 101 degrees. I keep his basking spot between 98-100.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you still feeding him mealworms? Are the superworms large or small ones? How long has it been since he pooped last? Was it runny or quite hard?

What is the wattage of the basking bulb and it is a white or colored bulb?

What is the distance of the Repti-Sun to him when he's in his basking spot?

How often are you dusting with calcium and vitamins? Also, what greens are you feeding him?

Please answer Kristine's question about the type of thermometer you're using. That's VERY important! I suspect you're using a round gauge (dial) thermometer that sticks on the glass, is that correct?

We want to help you and him BUT you need to help us by answering ALL the questions so we can rule things out before we can figure out what is going on.

Liam16

Original Poster
I have an 100 watt white basking light. I have a tube UVB reptisun 10.0 13 watt. I use a temp gun but I'm not sure if it is acurate. I have peeled it off and replaced it a lot so it may be ruined. I dust crickets with calcium daily. Greens about once a week because he is still young. I got him to poop today and it was basically liquid brown accept the white blob. I have fed him large super worms because the store only had large. I fed him small mealworms which is all he will eat. His basking spot is about 6 inches away from the light. I am also not sure about the UVB. There were two lights next to each other, one $24 the other $35. Naturally I grabbed the cheaper one but it says it only works on small tanks

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
What do you mean you've peeled off your "temp gun" a lot so you think it's ruined? Temp GUNS do not peel or stick anywhere...So I suspect you are using a regular stick on thermometer that isn't even close to being accurate! That's why your temps are totally off.

As we have said before, mealworms are NOT good to feed. Quit feeding them. It doesn't matter if that's all he'll eat. Find something else. Large superworms are NOT good for him either. I told you the dragon has to be 16 inches or longer to eat them. I've already told you what you can feed, if you choose not to get them, then that's on you.

Dubia roaches
Horn worms
Butterworms
Phoenix Worms
Calci-worms
Crickets

Also you need to feed greens daily. It doesn't matter if you don't see him eat them, they need to be readily available all the time.

Also I have a feeling that you didn't get the right UVB, again. What is the wattage? Is it a Reptisun 10.0 or a Reptisun 5.0?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You don't need a vet, you need to fix your husbandry.

I already told you a few days ago.

You can not expect any living creature to act healthy or be healthy, unless it is living in proper conditions.

It would be like me putting a cat in my bearded dragons tank, and then taking my cat to the vet because it's acting ill and sickly. Well.... that's because I am not housing it properly, so obviously it is not going to act how it should.

Fix your husbandry, give it a week or two after you get everything in your tank PERFECT, then start worrying about if you need a vet visit.

And I will repeat this for the second time, as it obviously did not get through the first time.

If a dragons living environments aren't correct, it won't want to eat.

Your basking spot was too cold. Your dragon couldn't digest the food it was eating. So it stopped eating. The only thing wrong with your dragon, is the environment it is living in. So stop worrying about forcefeeding and implying that it is your dragons fault that it is sick, and realize that it is your improper husbandry that has made it this way, and that YOU need to fix that, for your dragon to get better.

-Brandon

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with all that was posted as far as feeding goes. Those are appropriate for him. In all sincerity...you really need to figure out what your temps are and accurately. Also, the UVB should be as stated the Reptisun 10.0 linear (long, horizontal) TUBE. Not a coil or compact bulb.

Until you can measure the temps accurately you have no idea if he's too hot or unable to even digest properly. I'm glad he pooped for you...so now please feed him the appropriate foods and get a thermometer that you can rely on. Your best options (and not too pricey) would be an infrared temp gun (you point it from 2 inches away from the spot and click for an accurate reading. Or a digital thermometer with a probe on the end placed directly ON the basking spot for an hour. Also checking throughout the day as the temp can rise even after an hour and do the same for the cool and warm ends of his viv.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Brandi is right, the temp guns don't peel. Sounds like you're possibly using a digital strip thermometer that you're sticking to the tank but those are VERY inaccurate. What you need to know is the basking SURFACE temp and the only 2 ways to get that reading is with either a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end or an infrared temperature gun which look like these.
hpi74151.jpg

A 100 watt basking bulb is a LOT for only a 29 gallon tank.

Please let us know the rest of the answers that Brandi posted and it's very important that you offer good greens daily which others have given you the link for from Beautiful Dragons site and also consider feeding better feeders.

Your little beardie needs for you to make some changes to help him improve.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Liam16":3eox6flw said:
I have a 10.0 13 watt UVB and my thermometer is a zoo med stick on

Then why are you telling people that you are using a temp gun? Inappropriate sentence removed There is a huge difference in the stick on and a temp gun!

Get a probe thermometer and then set your temps right. After that THEN the dragon will probably start eating correctly. He's either WAY too hot, or WAY too cold right now. You won't know until you get a proper thermometer. Your HUSBANDRY is what is making your dragon sick. Other than that, there is NO way of telling what is wrong until you have your husbandry under control!

Liam16

Original Poster
I am a first time bearde owner so I will make mistakes and I will keep everyone posted and mistyck, nobody's perfect so I am sorry if I somehow offended you because you sure are acting like I did

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
I am in no way offended. I am frustrated with you. You don't listen to the advice given, you ask the same questions over and over, and then act like your husbandry is spot on.

Owning a bearded dragon (or any pet) is a monetary commitment, as well as a lifetime commitment. If you can't afford to own one, or to shell out money for one, as well as make sure that you're providing the best life possible for one, then owning one isn't for you.

Unnecessary information deleted. He never said he was looking for another dragon, please don't make assumptions, not acceptable here. Added by moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom