Bearded might have gnt

Beardie name(s)
Derpy
I just got told by my vet that my bearded dragon could possibly have gnt. He’s not eating at all, lethargic, depressed, I have to syringe feed him water, has runny watery poop almost every with one solid a couple days ago. We got his blood work and his glucose is about 4x the normal range and I’ll post test results with this. I just can’t believe it. I got the lizard to help with the loss of my mother that died from cancer and then he gets it.?! I just hope maybe they are wrong. She wasn’t 100% on her diagnosis so there’s a glimmer of hope left in me but he looks miserable 😭

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I just got told by my vet that my bearded dragon could possibly have gnt. He’s not eating at all, lethargic, depressed, I have to syringe feed him water, has runny watery poop almost every with one solid a couple days ago. We got his blood work and his glucose is about 4x the normal range and I’ll post test results with this. I just can’t believe it. I got the lizard to help with the loss of my mother that died from cancer and then he gets it.?! I just hope maybe they are wrong. She wasn’t 100% on her diagnosis so there’s a glimmer of hope left in me but he looks miserable 😭
Let's have Tracie advise here
@Drache613

Durpy the Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Derpy
Also after his vet visit I took him home and then these showed up and haven’t left since last night. They are way thicker than his normal stress marks and it’s only the two marks. Nothing anywhere else and he’s never had it like this before. Also I wanted to mention, the first vet I had been taking him too said about five months ago that he has severe mouth rot and the new vet I took him too said he’s got healthy teeth and gum line. So I am unsure if it can just clear up with absolutely no treatment or if they were lying to begin with???

Attachments

• IMG_8295.jpeg
    IMG_8295.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 28

Morri

Beardie name(s)
Zoom
Also after his vet visit I took him home and then these showed up and haven’t left since last night. They are way thicker than his normal stress marks and it’s only the two marks. Nothing anywhere else and he’s never had it like this before. Also I wanted to mention, the first vet I had been taking him too said about five months ago that he has severe mouth rot and the new vet I took him too said he’s got healthy teeth and gum line. So I am unsure if it can just clear up with absolutely no treatment or if they were lying to begin with???

I'm sorry your friend is unwell. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

You mentioned offering water in a syringe. If you need to force his mouth open because he is not cooperating, these could just be bruises. Zoom had them after being given medication, the vet used the beard pinching method and she's a stubborn bugger, so there was a fair bit of struggle to get her to unclench her jaws. They disappeared after a week or so.

Durpy the Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Derpy
I'm sorry your friend is unwell. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of you.

You mentioned offering water in a syringe. If you need to force his mouth open because he is not cooperating, these could just be bruises. Zoom had them after being given medication, the vet used the beard pinching method and she's a stubborn bugger, so there was a fair bit of struggle to get her to unclench her jaws. They disappeared after a week or so.
I don’t have to force his mouth open at all. He willingly takes the water and the supplement. I don’t know what they did at the vet though. He probably didn’t want to cooperate too much after getting blood drawn and everything

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your setup just a little. What type of diet & supplementation do you give for him?
Are you using a good UVB light too?
The Glucose is a bit high. The Uric acid is high, as would be with possible gout or at least pre-gout.
Can you take some pictures of his entire body, to show hands, feet, toes, etc so I can see whether or
not there is any type of swelling anywhere? Are his urates hard or soft lately?
His calcium levels are good but we need to get the phosphorus levels down for a better Calcium to
Phosphorus ratio.
The AST or liver enzymes are a bit high also. You could consider getting him on some Milk thistle
for liver health & support.
What insects do you feed & what type of feed/gutload do you provide to the insects before feeding
them to him?

Tracie

Durpy the Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Derpy
Thank you for responding, I have been a mess all day long.

His cage is a 125 gal and on the left side he’s got his t5 uvb bulb ( it’s been a long day and I’m having a hard time remembering if it’s the reptisun one or the Arcadia one😫😖😞) he’s got a basking light, CHE, and a mini heat light in a mini dome. when we first got his cage we were having a hard time keeping his temps high enough but we got it leveled out shortly after that (late summer-early fall) his hot side temps are 95-98 most days, the center about 82-89 and the coolest side is about 75. Humidity is always between 27-35. He’s got sand for substrate but I’ve carefully watched him for days and I can confidently say he’s not eating it. He’s got his rock to hide in or bask on, he’s got a bed in there too that he used to put himself on to sleep every night but he hasn’t done that for a couple weeks now.

I’ve taken him to one vet several times because he either wasn't eating a lot or wasn’t pooping. The last time I took him in the fall he wasn’t eating very much. They told me he has severe mouth rot from fruit and told me cut it out completely and we did that 100% but other than that it was something I was doing wrong with his environment but couldn’t tell me what exactly it was. They tested my uvb light and it was good.

Between then and now, he’s maybe ate a handful of hornworms. He used to love dubias and super worms but wouldn’t even show interest in eating them. He quit eating his romaine lettuce, we offered him all kind of different greens and other veggies and nothing peaked his interest. I called to ask if his lack of appetite was from mouth rot and i was told no. He sporadically eats an horn worm here and there but I know he’s not getting what nutrients he needs because he’s refusing everything. He’s even quit eating the worms. Ive got his calcium powder but he’s just not eating. The new vet said that he’s got healthy teeth and gums now so idk what happened with that.

I got emergency omnivore mix from vet and I’ll give him that and he’ll drink from the syringe with no issues. He wasn’t pooping there for quite a bit but now he’s had quite an few, close to everyday some days even twice. But since he’s not eating, there’s not much but the water and critical care I give him. It’s runny, no urate like he used to have. There is white but it’s just a messy glob in runny watery poop. But tonight was better for him. I gave him another bath and gave him as much water as he wanted then warmed him back up and gave him the critical care stuff and he actually ate a good amount. He looked way more alert, not as much activity as I’d like but he did move around a little and his eyes were more open and alert. He took a huge poop that was watery but also had some solid in it. Stunk pretty bad too which was different from the past ones this week.

I will try to get one right now but it might not be good enough to see until morning when lights come on. But from my perspective he doesn’t look swollen anywhere. He’s lost 90 grams since his last visit. I’ll get better close up pictures asap in morning.

I would just give anything to have this lizard not be this way and be the lizard I remember him to be. I can’t imagine him going like this.

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today?
It doesn't appear that he has any swelling in her hands, feet, etc.
I am glad to hear he will take the critical care formula, it will help him get the nutrition he needs.
Did the vet mention gout as a possibility? Sometimes there wont be a lot of swelling in some cases. His uric acid is lower than 10 so the buildup hasn't started quite yet.
For now, if you can get him started on black or tart cherry juice to help his kidneys that can help to start breaking up excess uric acid.
We definitely need to get his weight back on. Are you able to keep him a little warmer overnight, just to help out her immune system?
That does make it hard when they aren't eating anything but the powdered mix, the stool will not be very well formed. You can add some squash or sweet potato to the mix to make it more palatable.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear he liked the cherry juice mixed with the squash. Usually they like most of the
baby foods. I hope he is feeling better soon.
Is his beard dark at all or regular color?

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom