Going to be making the crossfire, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just have a question about the sides. i really liked the look of bamboo blinds, however I do not think that will work. So what can I put on the melamine to give it some patterns/look. Thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You could probably hang the blinds in it, just trim them to size?

If you use plywood, you can get a top-grade sheet and then seal it with polyurethane. The natural wood can have some very nice patterns.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Taterbug":23hv0wet said:
You could probably hang the blinds in it, just trim them to size?

If you use plywood, you can get a top-grade sheet and then seal it with polyurethane. The natural wood can have some very nice patterns.

Is there any thing that I could almost use as like a background that sticks or I glue to the melamine. I saw someone used Formica. I am looking for a natural wood look aswell.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Also, what size UVB fixture should I buy, I plan to mount it in the tank with 1-2 lights haven't deicded yet. Going with the 4x2x2. I plan to get the arcadia 12% now!! Was thinking maybe 34, but not sure.

Curious what the difference is between the 34 and 36, what one is better? They have charts and are both different.

34 inch-http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ard3t534in39.html
36 inch-http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/d3rela36fall.html

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If you add something you'll need to make sure it doesn't release chemicals when heated - not sure what would be best.

The lights you have ... The bulb you choose may effect your construction/layout plans.

The 34" is a T5. Id consider a 22" in that style - they are much stronger than the T8. You'll want to allow the dragon to escape the UVB if it wants. It's very bright - I'd consider mounting it against the front top corner - above the glass. You'll get less glare and it's strong enough with a reflective fixture your dragon still gets the exposure it needs.

The 36" is a T8 - that size is appropriate. Plan to keep a moderate distance - the dragon should be 6-8" from this while basking.

I have a crossfire as well. Recently I upgraded to the T5s - I have four lights currently. I really thing the T5 is worth

1x 22" T5 reptisun 10,
1x 22" T5 ultrasun (full spectrum)
1x 36" T8 tropicsun (full spectrum)
1x 60W halogen flood

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Just one UVB yes. You can use two bulbs (for more light) but the other should be a full spectrum - not UVB. If you do two you'll want to plan around the fixture. The two bulb fixtures Todd sells at lightyourreptiles I am told get warm - the solid wood too on the cross fire would need an opening for ventilation. I didn't want to cut my lid so I got a end cap style fixture so I can have the lights end to end, rather than side by side.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Thank you so far for your help. What fixture would you recommend? It seems all the fixtures come with a lightbulb I do not need, what should I do?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
That was a problem I had too. I think the fixtures at lightyourreptiles reptiles are good - and they can ship with the Arcadia bulb.

I ended up getting this one, they also sell reflectors for it. I was working around existing fixtures though so I wanted as slim as possible. I also have a solarmeter so I used that when I was positioning it. The cables are just long enough - I have the controller mounted outside the tank to the wall directly next to it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0017JBLRO/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1402430827&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

Beardie321

Original Poster
Alright so I decided to go with the (Arcadia D3+ T-5 22 Inch 24 Watt *12% Desert UVB* The Original Reptile HO T5 In North America!) Set, so that is taken care of. Now what do you use for a heat lamp? What fixture I guess I am asking. Also, what did you use around your cage, still have not been able to find anything. ! thanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I was using an articulating spotlight fixture but it was really long. I use one of these now
9QQvB.jpg

I used top grade oak plywood and sealed it.

Beardie321

Original Poster
Taterbug":10s1afou said:
I was using an articulating spotlight fixture but it was really long. I use one of these now
9QQvB.jpg

I used top grade oak plywood and sealed it.

Nice, yeah I want to use melamine for cleaning reasons, but then use like bamboo blinds is my hope but idk.
Where did you get that light fixture?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Lowes - they are in the contractor lighting area - near the wiring boxes I think.

The wood has no problem with cleaning - I think we put about 4-5 coats of sealer through. I don't like melamine.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Do you have a big lots? That's where I got mine at a very good price. The catch with trimming them is that the cheap ones are not very stabile when cut - I had to get creative about it.

Lowes, Home Depot or Walmart may have them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom