Lighting issues might be harming

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
I have a 75 gallon enclosure. 48 L X 34 W X 17 H.

When I rescued Rico I for the enclosure and everything they had.

They only used a ReptiSun 160w heat and uv light.

Her basking spot is about 10” and she wouldn’t open her eyes. From reading here, I think the uv is too much?? So I raised the fixture and she opened her finally.
She takes the heat okay, but stopped eating greens and sleeps a lot. Eats bug though. And I dripped water on her snout today finally and she took it.

I really need help with lighting. I need to know what size heat bulb to get for basking and what to do for uv and placement.

I know there are posts here about this, they all confuse me, I have a few personal issues with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 75 gallon enclosure. 48 L X 34 W X 17 H.

When I rescued Rico I for the enclosure and everything they had.

They only used a ReptiSun 160w heat and uv light.

Her basking spot is about 10” and she wouldn’t open her eyes. From reading here, I think the uv is too much?? So I raised the fixture and she opened her finally.
She takes the heat okay, but stopped eating greens and sleeps a lot. Eats bug though. And I dripped water on her snout today finally and she took it.

I really need help with lighting. I need to know what size heat bulb to get for basking and what to do for uv and placement.

I know there are posts here about this, they all confuse me, I have a few personal issues with that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Teresa
Hi Thersa
How are you getting the surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate- you want 2 of them --- the PowerSun is good for heat not so much UVB -- they wear out fast and need replaced every 6 months for UVB- I recommend you keep the bulb for heat but you must get a accurate surface basking temp 95-100 -- if its sitting on the screen another drawback for UVB -- so we always recommend another long tube fixture for UVB -- they are not all the same as far as good ones and we recommend 3 on this board- if you would like links to them please ask and I will post them - placement and distance will be determined by the screen on your tank --

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Hi Thersa
How are you getting the surface basking temps? Digital probe thermometers are the most accurate- you want 2 of them --- the PowerSun is good for heat not so much UVB -- they wear out fast and need replaced every 6 months for UVB- I recommend you keep the bulb for heat but you must get a accurate surface basking temp 95-100 -- if its sitting on the screen another drawback for UVB -- so we always recommend another long tube fixture for UVB -- they are not all the same as far as good ones and we recommend 3 on this board- if you would like links to them please ask and I will post them - placement and distance will be determined by the screen on your tank --
Yes, please send me post. I think I should get a t5 but I’m not sure how long. My screen is 48”. Basking spot is about 12”and 10” high. 95 degrees since I raised it because concern of UV.
I’ve been probing it on the basking spot. She doesn’t lay on that side on the ground. Doesn’t really get up on basking spot now.
Maybe she’s wanting to brumate, but vet said not to let her. She doesn’t need it.
I kind of want just heat - maybe 150w and then get a ReptiSun uvb? How far should it span across tank?
I just got home from work and she was sleeping on the cooler side. Didn’t eat again.
Now her right eye in sagging a bit?

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes, please send me post. I think I should get a t5 but I’m not sure how long. My screen is 48”. Basking spot is about 12”and 10” high. 95 degrees since I raised it because concern of UV.
I’ve been probing it on the basking spot. She doesn’t lay on that side on the ground. Doesn’t really get up on basking spot now.
Maybe she’s wanting to brumate, but vet said not to let her. She doesn’t need it.
I kind of want just heat - maybe 150w and then get a ReptiSun uvb? How far should it span across tank?
I just got home from work and she was sleeping on the cooler side. Didn’t eat again.
Now her right eye in sagging a bit?
Please post a pic of the eye --- you want a 24" fixture for UVB I am posting links for those pick one of them
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need a 10.0 bulb I will post the link for that
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one can be found at PetSmart - you need the 12% bulb 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one 24" or 2 ft fixture and you need to get the Reptisun bulb posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
What is the surface basking temp now that you have raised the bulb? You need digital probe thermometers to get that temp --

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Please post a pic of the eye --- you want a 24" fixture for UVB I am posting links for those pick one of them
Zoo Med comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need a 10.0 bulb I will post the link for that
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO High Output Fluorescent Bulb
this one can be found at PetSmart - you need the 12% bulb 24 watt
Arcadia ProT5 12% UVB Bulb With Hood
or this one 24" or 2 ft fixture and you need to get the Reptisun bulb posted above
https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0=
What is the surface basking temp now that you have raised the bulb? You need digital probe thermometers to get that temp --
If you mean surface on the floor. It’s 75. 95 at basking point. When the bulb is sitting on the screen, it’s 105 basking. That’s when I think the eye thing started and why I raised it.
I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. I woke her when I got home, held her for a bit, put her on basking spot, she shortly got off and went to cool side and fell asleep.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you mean surface on the floor. It’s 75. 95 at basking point. When the bulb is sitting on the screen, it’s 105 basking. That’s when I think the eye thing started and why I raised it.
I’ll try to get a pic tomorrow. I woke her when I got home, held her for a bit, put her on basking spot, she shortly got off and went to cool side and fell asleep.
How long is she basking? Does she go there on her own?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Maybe 15 minutes. Very rarely going on her own. Thinking also she doesn’t particularly like the basking “perch” I have for her.
Could be or it could be the bulb -- what are you using for a basking decor piece? How have the poops been - how often is she pooping?

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
She pooped a few days ago. Previous day gave her a hornworm. So a little watery, but mostly ok. I attached pics of eyes and basking spot.
Thanks,
Teresa

Attachments

• IMG_4161.jpeg
    IMG_4161.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4160.jpeg
    IMG_4160.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4152.jpeg
    IMG_4152.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4163.jpeg
    IMG_4163.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4164.jpeg
    IMG_4164.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 22

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Ok, why would I not want to purchase a longer uvb light, if my enclosure is 48”? I want to change out the Powersun bulb and just put regular heat lamp (recommendations on chart that shows how much wattage for various depths appreciated). There is a 2” metal piece that separates the two top screens.
Trying to get this right so she gets what she needs. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok, why would I not want to purchase a longer uvb light, if my enclosure is 48”? I want to change out the Powersun bulb and just put regular heat lamp (recommendations on chart that shows how much wattage for various depths appreciated). There is a 2” metal piece that separates the two top screens.
Trying to get this right so she gets what she needs. Thanks!
Your uvb should not be the length of the tank - he needs to be able to get out of the uvb w/ out hiding from it

Rico

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rico
Hot side or cool?

I do need to figure what standard bulb to use.

Also is this a good timer?

Sorry so many questions!

Attachments

• IMG_4168.jpg
    IMG_4168.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom